i5 3550 for GTX 780

BigPawz

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Hey guys! Thanks for looking at my post!

Long story short, I'm planning on upgrading from my GTX 580 to a 780 sometime within a week or so, and I just wanted to ask a question regarding if I will experience any bottlenecking with my processor. As you can see by the title, I have the Intel Core i5 3550. I never experienced any bottlenecking with the 580, but I just want to take a cautious approach to this situation. I plan on upgrading the processor down the road, but for now, will it suffice for a GTX 780?

Also, if I can ask one more question while I'm at it, will a single GTX 780 be sufficient for 2k gaming down the road, or would I have to buy another one for a 2-way SLI for a good performance and display?

Thanks so much guys!

BigPawz

Reputable
May 14, 2014

Thank you so much for clarifying that my processor will support this upgrade!

In response to your response for my second question, I most definitely will be using only one monitor. I would just like to know if I could game in 1440p while maxing out the settings on certain games, mainly Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online, Tomb Raider, and Watch Dogs.

Would a single 780 accomplish this? Truth be told I was considering getting the 780 Ti, and I usually go for the best of the best, but looking at benchmarks for this card it seems that the extra $200 dollars isn't worth the performance. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to spare my wallet 200 dollars, so if anyone could clarify that a single 780 will be able to run games like the ones I've listed above in 1440p with max settings that would be great!