Rare CL7 1600 Mushkin Redline Enhanced 996746 Issues

I'm running a Phenom II 965 on an MSI 890FXA-GD70. I have only 4gb of Mushkin Redline Enhanced RAM DDR3 1600 4GB (2 x 2GB) 996746 rated as 7-7-7-18. It's really high quality (which they don't make anything like anymore grr), with my 7970 it shreds most things. but it's set at 1333 9-9-9-24 (with OC its like 1550 cpu@3.9).

First of all it's 1.65v Intel (1156/lga? or something)ram i'm using on my c3 965. Supposedly it should still run at 7-7-7-20 1600. It does (cpu stock) but the computer seems slower. So I leave it as it is. BUT today I turned everything back to stock (cpu too) when HW Monitor showed me in the text report the XMP #1 read 6-6-6-18-24 0t (wth is 0t? 1 or 2?) at 1333 - so I set the correct ram DRAM voltage and those timings. The speed increase in loading everything was quite apparent, and it was at 3.4ghz stock cpu speed!

However, whatever "Temp 2" is in HW monitor is went from 37c/42c (stock/oc) at idle to 56c at idle. (all "Temp"s 1-3 usually stay around 40 regardless of load) The rig is housed in a sparsely populated HAF 932 with good cable management. With a Scythe Mugen the CPU doesn't go over 52c @ 3.9ghz. Maybe 54-55 peaks when my stupid 7970 is screaming and dumping hot air into the tower (thanks xfx). Basically "Temp 2" is now the hottest idle temp in the case, and I haven't yet to run the computer hard.

Two main questions:
1) How can I get it to overclock with the 1600 CL7 timings (any success has left me with bank timings of 40 instead of rated 27) I read somewhere a voltage increase of 0.1 cpu-nb would do it but that's HUGE.

2) What is heating up with the XMP 1333 CL6 timings and do I dare push it (cuz I haven't pushed it very hard due to the temps) And do I dare try to overclock other things from there lol.

Thanks for any help :)

p.s. thanks for reading and I have pictures (bios and cpu-z) and the text report (or excerpts lol) if you would like.
19 answers Last reply
More about rare cl7 1600 mushkin redline enhanced 996746 issues
  1. Try at 1600 w/ the stock timings and voltage on the DRAM then kick the CPU/NB voltage up + 0.10 and give it a try
  2. Tradesman1 said:
    Try at 1600 w/ the stock timings and voltage on the DRAM then kick the CPU/NB voltage up + 0.10 and give it a try



    Dude, raising it from 1.110 or something to 1.200+ is a giant leap, considering it goes up by like 0.015v steps. People don't even push 1.140. That being said, before I read that.. I did 1.2v, and it was stable. That's where it was when I read it's not a good idea lol. I also didn't try to overclock with that setting, my gut could almost smell melting mobo components.

    p.s. the bios goes for 1.5v and CL9 timings (AMD board) so I have to set them, so do u mean stock as in 1.5/cl9 or 1.65 & cl7 timings?
  3. Have seen folks take the CPU/NB up to 1.4 with no ill effects, 0.1 is a good start point (and safe) if all is stable can then try decreasing from there... AMD has weak MCs compared to Intel, so often have to use the MC and DRAM voltage to help the MC
  4. Tradesman1 said:
    Have seen folks take the CPU/NB up to 1.4 with no ill effects, 0.1 is a good start point (and safe) if all is stable can then try decreasing from there... AMD has weak MCs compared to Intel, so often have to use the MC and DRAM voltage to help the MC


    1.4v! Are you sure you don't mean 1.14? I think i'm at 1.249 or something I'm hoping there's a decimal mixup somewhere lol. Sorry to be clueless but what's MC? and what do I do to the DRAM V to help it, I've already raised it to 1.651v (cuz 1.65 isn't an option lol)
    Thanks

    Oh ya, what do you mean 0.1 is a good starting point? typo? 2.1? Decreasing from what now? still talkin cpu-nb?
  5. Yes, quite positive 1.4, 1.2 to 1.3 is more the norm but see many tring to run 16 and even 32 GB sets and faster sticks.....AMD CPU's, are still using MC tech from a couple years ago and were designed basically to run 2 sticks (and the testing was done with 4GB sticks), I recommend monitoring temps and if tehy get too high dropping the freq - but generally temps aren't too bad (on a good mobo) up through about 1.3-1.35
  6. Tradesman1 said:
    Yes, quite positive 1.4, 1.2 to 1.3 is more the norm but see many tring to run 16 and even 32 GB sets and faster sticks.....AMD CPU's, are still using MC tech from a couple years ago and were designed basically to run 2 sticks (and the testing was done with 4GB sticks), I recommend monitoring temps and if tehy get too high dropping the freq - but generally temps aren't too bad (on a good mobo) up through about 1.3-1.35


    Oh MC is memory controller, and ya whilst the c3 965 is better it is still a problem indeed. I've only got two 2gb sticks lol so.. but it's intel ram. Remember the CL6 1333mhz temp "2" jump (original post 3rd paragraph), let's figure out what that is first before I start pumping more juice in, cuz I know it's stable and super fast at 1.21v cpu-nb w/CL7, but longevity is an issue. I don't think any part of the mobo should be approaching 60c at idle... at least if I know what part it is I can retask a fan for testing purposes..
  7. Sounds like a plan ;)
  8. Tradesman1 said:
    Sounds like a plan ;)

    But I don't know what part it is and have no IR thermal sensor, so unless I start sticking fingers in random places lol....
    And when I do, what do I do with the DRAM Vs to compensate for the MC or is 1.651 enuff?
  9. So I got PCI-E x16 with the cpu overclocked to 3.9 (I would only get x8 before, another problem i was working on) by using multiplier not ht link/FSB . AND the RAM at cl7 XMP timings. It's a bush league overclock, but it narrows the field. The speed reads right but sure doesn't feel that way.
  10. StupidComputers said:
    Tradesman1 said:
    Sounds like a plan ;)

    But I don't know what part it is and have no IR thermal sensor, so unless I start sticking fingers in random places lol....
    And when I do, what do I do with the DRAM Vs to compensate for the MC or is 1.651 enuff?


    So I tested the RAN using passware perfomance test and it performed a bit better than PC6400, nearly half of the pc12800 scores listed, and mine is pc 12800 though cpu-id thinks it's 10700 or something (1333 i guess AMD thing?)
    I put in all the XMP timings manually, put the voltage to 1.651v, put the cpu-nb to 1.21v. WOT is going on here?
  11. The 10700 is probably from the default boot freq of the sticks, can confirm by checking it in CPU-Z, in the SPD tab the default boot shows in the MAX Bandwidth pane...as far as the settings, it's high performance sticks and to get them to run where they are specced to run need the voltage to aid the MC
  12. Tradesman1 said:
    The 10700 is probably from the default boot freq of the sticks, can confirm by checking it in CPU-Z, in the SPD tab the default boot shows in the MAX Bandwidth pane...as far as the settings, it's high performance sticks and to get them to run where they are specced to run need the voltage to aid the MC


    Thats where I got 10700 from. Haven't I increased the voltage enough? DRAM 1.5-->1.651v and CPU-NB 1.110-->1.210v?
  13. Tradesman1 said:
    Might try CPU/NB at 1.26 and if that works try dropping the DRAM voltage bit by bit


    Ok I'll do that now. One interesting thing in the benchmark, even though it pooched all but one test, it outscored all the other ram in latency (mb trnsfrd/sec), even more than doubled all but one of the comparative scores, and it still almost doubled that one.
  14. Might try CPU/NB at 1.26 and if that works try dropping the DRAM voltage bit by bit
  15. Tradesman1 said:
    Might try CPU/NB at 1.26 and if that works try dropping the DRAM voltage bit by bit


    No Dice, dropped DRAM to1.6v and upped cpu-nb to 1.26, lost bechmarks (lol) don't even win the latency one anymore :(
  16. COuld try at CL8, guessing your 965 may not be up to that tight a CL without a lot of voltage - the 965 was the first AMD CPU to reliably handle 1600 sticks, but still it was considered as 1600 at CL 9
  17. Sorry to necro but this thread came up while I was researching the same kit of RAM. They definitely do their rated timings and beyond with the Thuban (Phenom II X6 / X4) IMCs but I've never tested them on my Phenom II X4 Deneb. Here you can see them overclocking on my Thuban years back:



    They have even more headroom with newer AMD chips. I took them to DDR 1712 and the same timings with a FX-series chip so AMD has definitely made some improvements from Thuban to the bulldozer series. I tried jumping straight to 880 MHz (DDR 1760) and that was unstable even with loosened timings all around. I think these ancient kits just maxed out on clockspeed by that point. They are from 2009 after all. :D
  18. DedEmbryonicCe11 said:
    Sorry to necro but this thread came up while I was researching the same kit of RAM. They definitely do their rated timings and beyond with the Thuban (Phenom II X6 / X4) IMCs but I've never tested them on my Phenom II X4 Deneb. Here you can see them overclocking on my Thuban years back:



    They have even more headroom with newer AMD chips. I took them to DDR 1712 and the same timings with a FX-series chip so AMD has definitely made some improvements from Thuban to the bulldozer series. I tried jumping straight to 880 MHz (DDR 1760) and that was unstable even with loosened timings all around. I think these ancient kits just maxed out on clockspeed by that point. They are from 2009 after all. :D


    I'm glad for the post, I still haven't got it sorted after all these years lol. What voltages etc did you change/set to get it to run smoothly? I noticed you had 1.65 set, what kind of mobo? Did you encounter heat issues?
  19. The screenshot I posted above was on a Biostar TA890FXE board. Voltage was the default 1.65v. I generally have a low speed 120mm fan hanging by twist ties in the tower to blow over my RAM slots. I don't do suicide runs with RAM. The first and only time I tried, I cooked a module of Ballistix DDR1 and learned my lesson.


    This on my current board, an ASRock Extreme9. You'll probably have to "view image" -> click the magnifying glass then "Show Original" to be able to read the text. I don't know whether the motherboard or the IMC in my FX processor are responsible for the slightly increased overclock.
Ask a new question

Read More

Mushkin Memory RAM CPUs Phenom