Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

dvi and hdmi confusion!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 16, 2014 2:14:07 AM

HI guys i need to buy a new cable for my monitor....shud i buy a dual link dvi-d cable or a dvi-hdmi (or vice versa) cable?? My gpu supports a dvi-i as well as a hdmi output. Is there a difference in the max resolution these cables can render or is there a decrease in quality while converting two ports? I have a 1600x900 vga cabled monitor. I created a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and the quality reduced. So with the new cable can i get good quality at that resolution? will it make any difference? thanks in advanced!!!

More about : dvi hdmi confusion

May 16, 2014 2:26:32 AM

Both cables will provide you with max resolution and you should not see any difference in quality.

If your monitor have DVI input just use DVI to DVI cable. Check if you can use dual link or only single link. (dual link have all pins, single link are missing some in mid).
If you do not have DVI you can use DVI to HDMI and it should be ok without problems. I used such cable PC (dvi) to TV (hdmi) without problems on 1920x1080 and saw no loss of quality. You can either find adapter or use direct cable.

For that resolution you do not need dual link DVI cable as single link should support up to 1920x1200. Also single link cable is compatible with both sockets, while dual link wont work in single link socket.

Best would be if you post exact model of GPU and monitor to determine which cables can fit there.
m
1
l
May 17, 2014 12:40:17 PM

Krishna1999 said:
and one last major doubt guyzz (sry for being persistent :p ) if supposing i connect my gpu to monitor through dvi-d dual link cable.....can i increase my resolution ? or shud i create a custom one in nvidia control panel???


You are limited by what your monitor support. So if your monitor support higher resolution you can use it. If no stay with resolution which is native / recommended for your monitor.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 16, 2014 2:46:47 AM

pm4 said:
Both cables will provide you with max resolution and you should not see any difference in quality.

If your monitor have DVI input just use DVI to DVI cable. Check if you can use dual link or only single link. (dual link have all pins, single link are missing some in mid).
If you do not have DVI you can use DVI to HDMI and it should be ok without problems. I used such cable PC (dvi) to TV (hdmi) without problems on 1920x1080 and saw no loss of quality. You can either find adapter or use direct cable.

For that resolution you do not need dual link DVI cable as single link should support up to 1920x1200. Also single link cable is compatible with both sockets, while dual link wont work in single link socket.

Best would be if you post exact model of GPU and monitor to determine which cables can fit there.


i really dont have a good gpu coz its the ASUS gt 610 silent version and my monitor is a samsung syncmaster b2030....so ur saying there wont be any difference between the dvi to hdmi and dvi-d to dvi-d cable?? but will there be a noticible difference from vga in my monitor??
m
0
l
a c 91 C Monitor
May 16, 2014 2:50:10 AM

Hang on!!!.....

"shud i buy a dual link dvi-d", This won't work with DVI-I!!! DVI-D and DVI-I are different.

dvi-i, That's old, trying to find a cable like that will be really really hard, they don't even make them anymore.

Go for HDMI-HDMI, for 60Hz monitors, it will be your best choice of cable, not DVI-I
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 3:12:22 AM

unknownofprob said:
Hang on!!!.....

"shud i buy a dual link dvi-d", This won't work with DVI-I!!! DVI-D and DVI-I are different.

dvi-i, That's old, trying to find a cable like that will be really really hard, they don't even make them anymore.

Go for HDMI-HDMI, for 60Hz monitors, it will be your best choice of cable, not DVI-I

no my dvi-i was also dual linked....and many ppl told that there are dual links for dvi-i and dvi-d and the dvi i-d cud be compatible wid the dvi-d port.....the only thing is that analog signal will be excluded
m
0
l
a c 91 C Monitor
May 16, 2014 3:18:59 AM

if the DVI-I is a dual link one, then theoretically it should work with a DVI-D cable, no converter.
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 3:20:20 AM

Krishna1999 said:
unknownofprob said:
Hang on!!!.....

"shud i buy a dual link dvi-d", This won't work with DVI-I!!! DVI-D and DVI-I are different.

dvi-i, That's old, trying to find a cable like that will be really really hard, they don't even make them anymore.

Go for HDMI-HDMI, for 60Hz monitors, it will be your best choice of cable, not DVI-I

no my dvi-i was also dual linked....and many ppl told that there are dual links for dvi-i and dvi-d and the dvi i-d cud be compatible wid the dvi-d port.....the only thing is that analog signal will be excluded


There are
DVI-A - analog signal only (not used)
DVI-D - digital signal only
DVI-I provide both analog + digital.

also there is
single link and dual link. Dual link have more pins and support higher resolution (if you go over 1920x1200 or so).

To matter of compatibility
You CAN plug DVI-D cable to DVI-I without problem.
You CANNOT plug DVI-I to DVI-D.

DVI-I have meaning only if you need DVI-I to VGA cable otherwise stick with DVI-D cables.
To matter of dual link vs single link. You willl plug single link cable into dual link socket but not other way.

So most compatible cable would be DVI-D single link which you can plug into ALL current dvi sockets.

To matter of performance. All HDMI, DVI and even VGA are perfectly capable to work with 60hz and 1600x900 resolution and even higher and you wont really see difference. So you could use VGA cable and you would not see real difference if any at all. VGA got - as it's subject to interferences from power sources in much higher way than dvi cables so signal can be worse if you take VGA cable along strong power source, but otherwise VGA have np with 1920x1080 and even higher.

So no need to use hdmi to hdmi. I would personally go with DVI-DVI with single link cable.

EDIT: As I looked on your monitor it got DVI-D input so best bet is really DVI to DVI. You can ofc make HDMI to DVI cable but no benefit in that.
m
1
l
a c 91 C Monitor
May 16, 2014 3:33:27 AM

pm4 said:
Krishna1999 said:
unknownofprob said:
Hang on!!!.....

"shud i buy a dual link dvi-d", This won't work with DVI-I!!! DVI-D and DVI-I are different.

dvi-i, That's old, trying to find a cable like that will be really really hard, they don't even make them anymore.

Go for HDMI-HDMI, for 60Hz monitors, it will be your best choice of cable, not DVI-I

no my dvi-i was also dual linked....and many ppl told that there are dual links for dvi-i and dvi-d and the dvi i-d cud be compatible wid the dvi-d port.....the only thing is that analog signal will be excluded


There are
DVI-A - analog signal only (not used)
DVI-D - digital signal only
DVI-I provide both analog + digital.

also there is
single link and dual link. Dual link have more pins and support higher resolution (if you go over 1920x1200 or so).

To matter of compatibility
You CAN plug DVI-D cable to DVI-I without problem.
You CANNOT plug DVI-I to DVI-D.

DVI-I have meaning only if you need DVI-I to VGA cable otherwise stick with DVI-D cables.
To matter of dual link vs single link. You willl plug single link cable into dual link socket but not other way.

So most compatible cable would be DVI-D single link which you can plug into ALL current dvi sockets.

To matter of performance. All HDMI, DVI and even VGA are perfectly capable to work with 60hz and 1600x900 resolution and even higher and you wont really see difference. So you could use VGA cable and you would not see real difference if any at all. VGA got - as it's subject to interferences from power sources in much higher way than dvi cables so signal can be worse if you take VGA cable along strong power source, but otherwise VGA have np with 1920x1080 and even higher.

So no need to use hdmi to hdmi. I would personally go with DVI-DVI with single link cable.

EDIT: As I looked on your monitor it got DVI-D input so best bet is really DVI to DVI. You can ofc make HDMI to DVI cable but no benefit in that.


"You CAN plug DVI-D cable to DVI-I without problem.", not true, it needs to be Dual link DVI-I for that to be the case, which in this case it is.
m
1
l
May 16, 2014 3:46:36 AM

Why it would need to be dual link?

Easiest is to look on connectors. For example here is image with different pins for all types of dvi connectors.

If matching connectors link you can use that cable.
Dual link have just added pins in mid but you can use DVI single link cables in dual link.

And here I found very nice table with all most combinations (EDIT: just noticed that it miss single to dual link comparison as it would make table too big will try to search for some better I with all.
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_cables.html

EDIT3: ... can't find any nice chart with dual vs single link :(  But simplest rule is if you can plug it in (without snapping connectors :)  ) you can use it. That is how are all modern connectors made to be "user proof" so just by physical connection you know that cable is compatible. Ofc don't force it in as I saw someone to plug USB-micro into socket upside down it ended with destroyed both cable and connectors on device BUT it got inside.
m
0
l
a c 91 C Monitor
May 16, 2014 4:08:10 AM

if it is not dual link, it does not have the same connection interface.

DVI-I single link does not work with DVI-D dual link, is what I am trying to say. It is due to the old technology of DVI-I single link, the cable does not work, with the common issue of the "black screen", but when using other form of cable, it works.
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 4:20:42 AM

unknownofprob said:
if it is not dual link, it does not have the same connection interface.

DVI-I single link does not work with DVI-D dual link, is what I am trying to say.


Ok so I guess we got small misunderstanding here :) . To make it clear this should be complete table about that, I guess we can agree on that.

Cable to Socket will work?
D SL to D SL Yes
D SL to D DL Yes
D DL to D SL No
D DL to D DL Yes
D SL to I SL Yes
D DL to I SL No
D SL to I DL Yes
D DL to I DL Yes
I SL to D SL No
I SL to D DL No
I DL to D SL No
I DL to D DL No
I SL to I SL Yes
I SL to I DL Yes
I DL to I SL No
I DL to I DL Yes

So in short if you got DVI-I DL socket You can use ANY cable.
If you got DVI-D SL cable you can use it in ANY DVI socket connector.

EDIT:
DVI-D and DVI-I were in same specification so both have same age btw.
And yes I agree you can't use DVI-I SL in DVI-D dual link. You wont be even able to plug it in because DVI-I got 4 pins around that horizontal pin which DVI-D socket do not have and other way if you would have DVI-D dl cable and DVI-I sl socket that socket would miss pins in mid.

Edit2: Can't format that table to some nice way so i added text to delimit it.
m
0
l

Best solution

May 16, 2014 4:36:49 AM

To finish it :)  and get to topic it was all about at start:

Your GPU got
DVI-I Dual link socket so it will accept any cable.

Your monitor got
DVI-D Dual link socket so it will accept DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cable.

So either of DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cables will work for you and you will get that 1600x900 resolution without problem.

I got it by specs/images of that gpu and monitor so you can double check if you really got those connectors by comparing it to image i linked in one of previous posts.
Share
May 16, 2014 5:42:17 AM

pm4 said:
To finish it :)  and get to topic it was all about at start:

Your GPU got
DVI-I Dual link socket so it will accept any cable.

Your monitor got
DVI-D Dual link socket so it will accept DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cable.

So either of DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cables will work for you and you will get that 1600x900 resolution without problem.

I got it by specs/images of that gpu and monitor so you can double check if you really got those connectors by comparing it to image i linked in one of previous posts.


Ok but another thing which i want to know is will there be a "noticible" difference in the image quality(well i dont think there is difference in quality between dvi-hdmi and dvi-dvi if im not mistaken.....but between the vga and the new cable??)
anyways thnx a lot guyzz for ur help!!!
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 5:47:08 AM

and one last major doubt guyzz (sry for being persistent :p ) if supposing i connect my gpu to monitor through dvi-d dual link cable.....can i increase my resolution ? or shud i create a custom one in nvidia control panel???
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 5:53:45 AM

Krishna1999 said:
pm4 said:
To finish it :)  and get to topic it was all about at start:

Your GPU got
DVI-I Dual link socket so it will accept any cable.

Your monitor got
DVI-D Dual link socket so it will accept DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cable.

So either of DVI-D SL or DVI-D DL cables will work for you and you will get that 1600x900 resolution without problem.

I got it by specs/images of that gpu and monitor so you can double check if you really got those connectors by comparing it to image i linked in one of previous posts.


Ok but another thing which i want to know is will there be a "noticible" difference in the image quality(well i dont think there is difference in quality between dvi-hdmi and dvi-dvi if im not mistaken.....but between the vga and the new cable??)
anyways thnx a lot guyzz for ur help!!!


Well :) 
Main difference is analog (vga) vs digital (dvi). Analog as I wrote is more susceptible to interference if not shielded properly. But in general usage for that resolution and frequency you should not see any real difference in quality.

Problem is that this is case by case problem each combination of GPU, monitor and cable can have different outcome. From not working at all to working perfectly. But as your GPU got DVI-D input I would use that and not VGA if it got it.
m
0
l
!