Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Is my system worth upgrading

Tags:
  • Core
  • Quad Core
  • Intel
  • Components
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • GPUs
  • Asus
  • Quad
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Components
May 16, 2014 9:46:48 AM

I currently have:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
ASUS P5KC Mobo (pcie 1.0 slot)
4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
MSI R9 270 OC GPU
500watt PSU
WD Blue 500GB HDD

Is it worth upgrading my CPU and mobo?

I'm not like a hardcore gamer, just like a nice system that can run all games

More about : system worth upgrading

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2014 10:18:20 AM

How much money do you want to spend?
You can definitely get more performance upgrading.
m
0
l
May 16, 2014 10:22:06 AM

Do I really need to upgrade?

Maybe an fx 6300 and as a result a new mobo, and possibly more ram?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2014 10:31:12 AM

No you don't. Not if you are happy with what you have, but going forward your Cpu will hold you back in games at higher levels of play. If you are fine with what you have for now, just keep it and maybe save for a more complete upgrade later. Your GPU is a good middle grade game player.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2014 10:36:46 AM

leakylawson said:
I currently have:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
ASUS P5KC Mobo (pcie 1.0 slot)
4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
MSI R9 270 OC GPU
500watt PSU
WD Blue 500GB HDD

Is it worth upgrading my CPU and mobo?

I'm not like a hardcore gamer, just like a nice system that can run all games


Your system should be good for medium settings playing at 1080p. Things that are hindering you are yes the dual core, motherboard only supplying a pci 1.0 vs 3.0 slot, and 4gb slower ram. Is it worth upgrading? That's your question to answer. Can you play the games you want now? Are you ahppy with what you have now? If not, then yes upgrade. But for most part, if you do upgrade, it'd be motherboard, cpu, ram, probably power supply, and if your going to do all that might as well get a better graphics card. Your 270 will still be good for medium maybe high settings, with or without an upgrade. So if you are to upgrade, then it'd be better to just build a new system and reuse you hhd.

So unless you feel like a new computer, not worth the upgrade. Your system now is bottlenecked before graphics card, but still plays medium. Upgrading cpu mobo ram will still get you medium and bottlenecked by your graphics card. So for now your system is pretty balanced. If you want to upgrade, and make it worth it, your looking at $500 ish to make a difference, in which then youll be at high settings vs the medium your at now
Share
May 17, 2014 2:36:14 AM

Dblkk said:
leakylawson said:
I currently have:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
ASUS P5KC Mobo (pcie 1.0 slot)
4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
MSI R9 270 OC GPU
500watt PSU
WD Blue 500GB HDD

Is it worth upgrading my CPU and mobo?

I'm not like a hardcore gamer, just like a nice system that can run all games


Your system should be good for medium settings playing at 1080p. Things that are hindering you are yes the dual core, motherboard only supplying a pci 1.0 vs 3.0 slot, and 4gb slower ram. Is it worth upgrading? That's your question to answer. Can you play the games you want now? Are you ahppy with what you have now? If not, then yes upgrade. But for most part, if you do upgrade, it'd be motherboard, cpu, ram, probably power supply, and if your going to do all that might as well get a better graphics card. Your 270 will still be good for medium maybe high settings, with or without an upgrade. So if you are to upgrade, then it'd be better to just build a new system and reuse you hhd.

So unless you feel like a new computer, not worth the upgrade. Your system now is bottlenecked before graphics card, but still plays medium. Upgrading cpu mobo ram will still get you medium and bottlenecked by your graphics card. So for now your system is pretty balanced. If you want to upgrade, and make it worth it, your looking at $500 ish to make a difference, in which then youll be at high settings vs the medium your at now


Thanks for your great reply! So is it worth upgrading my mobo CPU ram and hdd price/performance wise? or will the increase not really be that great compared to my Quad core Q9400?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2014 8:23:43 AM

Your playing im guessing medium graphic settings now (which is still about on par with a xbox 360/ps4). For gaming, the next upgrade would mean going to high graphic settings. If you want that, you'd need a new cpu which means a new motherboard, youd need 8gb ram, and you'd need a better graphics card.

So upgrade, NO! I'd never upgrade. *For gaming*
New PC would be the way to go, save your hhd and posibly your case but otherwise everything else needs to go otherwise it wont be any difference over what you have now.

Right now cpu/mobo being pci 1.0, and 4gb slower ram are all you limiting factors. With your graphics card able to produce solid medium sometimes high graphics settings. Thats just how good the graphics card is.

Other than really cpu demanding games, your system other than graphics card should allow medium graphics settings. So to upgrade your cpu/mobo, you'll gain some fps, but still be limited to medium graphics settings due to your graphics card then. So any upgrade will net you in pretty much same boat now, just for different reasons.
m
1
l
May 17, 2014 8:36:35 AM

Dblkk said:
Your playing im guessing medium graphic settings now (which is still about on par with a xbox 360/ps4). For gaming, the next upgrade would mean going to high graphic settings. If you want that, you'd need a new cpu which means a new motherboard, youd need 8gb ram, and you'd need a better graphics card.

So upgrade, NO! I'd never upgrade. *For gaming*
New PC would be the way to go, save your hhd and posibly your case but otherwise everything else needs to go otherwise it wont be any difference over what you have now.

Right now cpu/mobo being pci 1.0, and 4gb slower ram are all you limiting factors. With your graphics card able to produce solid medium sometimes high graphics settings. Thats just how good the graphics card is.

Other than really cpu demanding games, your system other than graphics card should allow medium graphics settings. So to upgrade your cpu/mobo, you'll gain some fps, but still be limited to medium graphics settings due to your graphics card then. So any upgrade will net you in pretty much same boat now, just for different reasons.


Ok I think I'll stick with what I've got, just one other question, I run a 32bit windows 7, and when i had DDR2 ram it said 3.75GB usable but since I've changed to DDR3 it says 3.25GB usable? I know the reason being the 32bit OS.

But am I better off with the 3.75 DDR2 or the 3.25 DDR3?

Thanks.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2014 12:07:16 PM

ddr3 is faster, should be noticably faster. And yes the reason is windows 32bit.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2014 12:12:06 PM

But if your using windows 32bit, any upgrade would also need to rebuy windows as well. So honestly your hhd is the only thing usable in a better off system, and thats only worth $40 new. So to be better than what you have now would start around $700. And that would be high/ultra vs your medium. Not really worth it. not until you cant play medium anymore and stuck at low settings and you have some $$ saved up would i upgrade. Just dont make it worth it.
m
0
l