R9 270 MSI AfterBurner Curve

MatthewScott

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Hey, just wondering if anyone with the R9 270 who uses MSI AfterBurner could inform me of the best custom fan curve possible for the graphics card, right now I have it on the MSI default curve, but I'm not sure if that's best.

Thank you,

Matthew

Solution
The R9 series has a temperature target of 85. You're not going to keep the graphics card near 60 at full load when air cooled without greatly underclocking. There is no reason to not let it run at 100% when gaming. The chip will only be hurt if the temp starts to get over 90 degrees, but the R9 has built in throttling that will throttle back when it gets too hot on its own.

I'm not sure how 50 seems perfect for air cooled GPUs either lol You'd only see those kind of temps at load with water cooling.
The default is ok but personally i prefer a quieter fan speed at lower temps .
I based mine off of this scroll down to fan curves:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335&highlight=msi+afterburner

Here mine:

Fan_Profiles.png

MatthewScott

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Thanks for the answer Suztera

And the highest temps I can recall are about 76C when running BF4 on ultra before mantle came out and without using MSI afterburner (just the default fan settings)

My processor is usually fine, just saying

I think I'd like my GPU to be as quiet when idle, which right now it is, I just don't know what a good optimum temperature for gaming would be. 50 seems perfect for air cooled gpu, but I doubt I could get that, so 60 is what I'd prefer. I'm not too bothered about sound when playing games, however, I don't feel comfortable playing games for several hours with 100% fan speed, not because of noise, but because of the fact I've heard it kills the graphics card faster? Not sure on that, but yeah, I'd like to keep it around 60c ish

The R9 series has a temperature target of 85. You're not going to keep the graphics card near 60 at full load when air cooled without greatly underclocking. There is no reason to not let it run at 100% when gaming. The chip will only be hurt if the temp starts to get over 90 degrees, but the R9 has built in throttling that will throttle back when it gets too hot on its own.

I'm not sure how 50 seems perfect for air cooled GPUs either lol You'd only see those kind of temps at load with water cooling.

Solution