FX-8350 overheating during BF4

bryanfrombiloxi

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Hey guys. Got a FX-8350 some time around Christmas. I over-clocked for a while and noticed my temps getting higher than I'd like. (68C) So I went to the default voltage and still getting high temps. I then decided to underclock my CPU... I was playing BF4 today and got up to 70C. I don't understand. I have a after-market CPU cooler. (Hyper Evo 212) I should be able to play BF4 underclocked without destroying my CPU.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB
Power Supply XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V

Solution
years ago I messed with this a little. for a quick solution............. use a pair of scissors to cut a piece of thin cardboard to put above the top card. any heat off the card will roll away from the board, across the cardboard and upwards and around the heat sink. leave case side off too.

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
The most common issue could be the thermal paste, you could look up some guides as of how to to properly apply thermal paste.

Another thing could be airflow. Make sure you have the same amount of fans for intake and exhaust, and one key rule: Heat rises.
Also go into your MB's bios and check that your voltages are set correctly, set them manually.

should look something like this
JQfqnQK.jpg

bryanfrombiloxi

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I've already re-applied my thermal paste a couple times, and my airflow is correct. My voltage is set lower currently to reduce the heat.

over clocking rule #1............ and almost nobody thinks of it. find the least amount of power the cpu will run at stock speeds without giving any problems under load. then work on it from there. I would reset cmos and start over.

thermal paste. try something other than stock paste and or AC5. zalman super thermal grease works good.

bryanfrombiloxi

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I'll run it for an hour and post temps. What I don't understand is that what's stable in Prime95 under a 100% load will not be stable playing BF4. My CPU might only get up to 60C during a Prime95 test but then get to 70C during BF4

MacNoobin

Reputable
May 17, 2014
What case do you have? I know you said your airflow is good, but do tell.
Since prime isn't the problem, what temp does your 780 get up to when playing bf4?

I'm in the same boat with my setup with NO oc. P95 is a cake walk but bf4 mp pushes it up to 65-68C. I know how to apply paste (AS5) and my case has great airflow.

What I'm thinking is that, despite good airflow, there is still heat rising from my cards to the cpu and 212 sink and the 212 is sucking that hot air. My top card is only about 2.5" from the 212's southern side. If this were the case, the smaller delta-t would cripple the cooler's ability. It would be like putting your cars AC condenser behind the radiator and then complaining that the AC didn't blow cold enough. Perhaps even my big top fan is contributing to this...

Supporting evidence- I've noticed that when I lower the oc (and temps) of my cards, the cpu temp is more tame. When I push the cards and the top card gets up to 69-70 and thats when coretemp shoots up. Again, this is only on bf4.

Solutions-
1. Cheapo! Im thinking about using zip ties to attach a small panel to the "bottom"/gfx-facing side of the 212 in such a way as to block any intake of rising gfx heat by the 212, kind of adding ducting the cooler intake so it breathes clean cool air from the upper front case intake, leaving the lower front and side to blow in over gfx. I'd hate to ruin aesthetics after dropping cash on a card like yours, but its simple to try.
2. Admit the possibility of error and reseat cpu.
3. Im paranoid about water, but there's that option.
4. For me, finally upgrade these hard working cards to a single mid-high tier. Hate to see'em go though. BF4 is the only place I notice a struggle.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard ASROCK 990FX Extreme 9
Memory G Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Video Card GTX 460 SLI (825/1800)
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80 plus Bronze
Case: Antec 902

years ago I messed with this a little. for a quick solution............. use a pair of scissors to cut a piece of thin cardboard to put above the top card. any heat off the card will roll away from the board, across the cardboard and upwards and around the heat sink. leave case side off too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS