Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500 first build questions

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 17, 2014 3:14:24 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LUhH Here's my around $1500 dollar build, open to suggestions but my budget is kind of tight, my limit, including peripherals is $1500. First question: Will the hyper 212 evo work for an overclock anywhere from 4.2-4.6? Next question: If not what is a good cooler (water or air) in the $50 dollar range that will cool much better while still being reasonably quiet? Last Question: IS the power supply overkill? if so could you reccomend a better semi or fully modular power supply for less possibly? Open to any and all suggestions on any aspect of the build, as long as it doesn't turn into an Intel vs AMD argument. This computer is for primarily for gaming, but it will have to run office, possibly sony vegas, and FL studio. Thanks!

More about : 1500 build questions

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2014 4:13:34 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($88.17 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($53.73 @ Mwave)
Total: $1453.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 19:11 EDT-0400)

If you have that amount of money, definitely go with Intel. I still agree the for budget builds, AMD has still its place. Its just my opinion Intel is more future proof.
m
2
l
May 17, 2014 5:04:07 PM

sweenytodd said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($88.17 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($53.73 @ Mwave)
Total: $1453.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 19:11 EDT-0400)

If you have that amount of money, definitely go with Intel. I still agree the for budget builds, AMD has still its place. Its just my opinion Intel is more future proof.


Thanks! Also kind of random, but do you know if the price of ram is at a decline? Ive seen how low it was only a year ago and i was wondering if there is any indication of a price drop? Im ordering the parts later this summer for my birthday and hoping the price goes down a little. Also just wondering, if an ssd is my boot drive will the 240 gb be a big difference? ( Sorry if that's poorly worded) Thank you for adding the future-proof part because this computer will need to last me at least the next 4-5 years! Lastly is the Mobo good for OCing?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 6:36:00 PM

Are you assuming he lives near a microcenter or did I miss something? The price for the i5 is in store only usually.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 6:39:35 PM

There isnt a single microcenter in the state i live in! The closest one is a 14 hour drive from where im at
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 6:43:15 PM

Exactly so ignore the awesome $189 price tag on that i5 4670k.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 6:48:24 PM

CTurbo said:
Exactly so ignore the awesome $189 price tag on that i5 4670k.


Any recommendations on cpus that wont bottleneck the 780?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 6:56:26 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M1H8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M1H8/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M1H8/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VX238H-W 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($90.95 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($53.73 @ Mwave)
Total: $1413.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 21:56 EDT-0400)
Share
May 17, 2014 7:33:09 PM

Another question: Would AMD cpus be better for future proof because more games are beginning to use more than 2 cores?
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 7:37:51 PM

No not at all. Not even a little bit. The current AMD "performance" line is already outdated.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 8:00:15 PM

Fair Enough, Im thinking about shelling out the extra money and getting the 4670k just because its unlocked, i just wish ram wasnt so damn expensive! even though it looks like its dropping! Also, is an ssd that important, yes i understand its faster and all but really?
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 8:12:16 PM

I do not recommend paying so much extra for overclocking. You're looking at $125-150 extra minimum for overclocking, and you won't even need it.
ssds are not completely necessary but they're far more useful than overclocking. If you want to pay extra for useful performance I recommend going for the Xeon e3 1230v3.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 8:27:09 PM

Would the i5-4570 be worth it, If i went with that and kept my ssd?
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 8:33:06 PM

Sure it's just a 100mhz slower than the 4590. They are practically the same price though.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 8:36:58 PM

Alright, is the 750 watt psu overkill?
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 8:44:42 PM

Yes it's too much for one 780 and not enough for two. 600-650w is fine.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 86 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 8:45:44 PM

CTurbo said:
I do not recommend paying so much extra for overclocking. You're looking at $125-150 extra minimum for overclocking, and you won't even need it.
ssds are not completely necessary but they're far more useful than overclocking. If you want to pay extra for useful performance I recommend going for the Xeon e3 1230v3.


Yes yes yes. The Xeon e3 1230v3 is the best money you can spend on a CPU. You will get the 8 threads that you were wanting from your AMD chips all for just $250, $10 more than the i5-4670K. You are essentially getting an under clocked i7-4770, and for the price it's at, it's incredible how many people still buy their i5's.

Make sure to buy a H97/Z97 (Z97 only if you are getting the 4670K) motherboard to go with any of these CPUs. They are the same prices as the old generation and you will be futureproofing a bit more for Intel's next generation.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 9:23:41 PM

Ive seen mixed reviews but is ASrock a good brand? Im not sure what to get for a good motherboard
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 9:25:29 PM

Yes ASRock, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte are all good.
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 9:55:11 PM

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ SuperBiiz)
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 10:12:07 PM

Is there any reason you are avoiding the newer Haswell refresh i5 4590 and new H97 motherboard? The two are actually $10 less than what you have selected. Also, the Antec psu in my build above is a lot more reliable than the Corsair you chose, and it's only $5 more.
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 10:16:59 PM

CTurbo said:
Is there any reason you are avoiding the newer Haswell refresh i5 4590 and new H97 motherboard? The two are actually $10 less than what you have selected. Also, the Antec psu in my build above is a lot more reliable than the Corsair you chose, and it's only $5 more.


If its $10 cheaper i will go for it! The gigabyte board was better reviewed so i went with that
m
0
l
May 17, 2014 10:19:27 PM

Ill go with the seasonic, its the same price and haswell ready so that should be fine right?
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 10:20:17 PM

Try this. I went with a Gigabyte H97

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7zA
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7zA/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7zA/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($90.95 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($53.73 @ Mwave)
Total: $1430.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 01:19 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 10:24:35 PM

Here is a bigger, better, cheaper Asus monitor


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7FX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7FX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M7FX/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VX238H-W 23.0" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($90.95 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Havoc Wired Laser Mouse ($53.73 @ Mwave)
Total: $1420.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 01:24 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 10:32:50 PM

The H97 is NEW and has better features.
m
0
l
a c 84 K Overclocking
a c 462 à CPUs
May 17, 2014 10:58:35 PM

You didn't want the bigger Asus monitor for $10 cheaper? :) 



It's a good build and you will enjoy it for a long time!
m
1
l
May 17, 2014 11:07:00 PM

The promo on the asus monitor ends monday, i wont be ordering the build for a little while so it will go back to being more expensive than my current monitor.
m
0
l
!