Should i get a 780 6gb or 780 ti or titan black?

Konane

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hello this is my current build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Konane/saved/4Iu5
( i do not have a video card yet so ignore that part in the list )

I can buy a 780 ti or 780 6gb or a titan black but i would have to wait a month to get enough money for a titan black

So here's the question i was originally planning on getting a 2560x1440p monitor the Asus Rog Swift 27" monitor (https://www.asus.com/us/News/xXtX0FNhXQWPrry7)

BUT i have lost funds for that plan so i think i will just stick to 1080p for a while until some better video cards come out for 2560x1440p (800 series maxwell)

That being said should i get a 780 6gb or a 780 ti it would be alot easier if the 780 ti had higher than 3gb vram i just don't think 3gb is future proof enough hence why i don't really want to get one because games will start to demand more vram Battlefield 4 already uses more than 2g vrm i would like atleast 4+ gb vram so i think i am leaning towards the 780 6gb and maybe SLI-ing in the future or i could get a titan black but they are way to expensive and i also don't want to wait for the 780 ti to come out as 6gb because i don't think it will be out for a while Unless they announce it to come out soon i can wait but not waiting forever.

SO how well would the 780 6gb run games at 1080p? i like to run all my settings at max settings can the 780 handle that or would i need to SLI?

Also is the 3gb vram enough should i just get a 780 ti? i kind of don't like the 3gb vram though

Thanks for any help in advanced its much appreciated

Solution

plenty.
the only reason for a 6gb version of a card is to run two in the future. a single 780ti will never be able to handle the exotic anti aliasing levels that would push a cards vram over the limit.... you would need at least two cards and still there is no known gaming use for more than 3gb except skyrim. that said, even battlefield 4/crysis 3 maxed out running fxaa on a 4k screen with sli 3gb 780s or cfx 4gb 290s will not hit the vram wall and hold above 40fps perfectly. the titan black is not a gaming card so dont waste your time... not to mention its pcb and cooling design isn't even close to the aftermarket 780ti designs, so its not even on anyones radar for gaming only.

i have no problem with my single 780@1440p in any game pretty much maxed out except for anti aliasing, which for me 2xmsaa is more than enough, unless smaa is available then i use it.

Konane

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

So the 3gb on the 780 ti is good enough for gaming even at 1440p? i think i would buy a 780 ti for 1920x1080 just because i like to run everything on max settings over 60+ fps

And ya i wasnt really planning on getting a titan black

my 780 is overclocked to well past reference 780ti performance levels. to be honest at 1080p the only difference a 780ti is going to offer over a 780 is increased anti aliasing levels. at higher resolutions like 1440p ultra high levels of anti aliasing are hard to spot, especially fast moving action. from the reviews i have read, 4k really only needs fxaa since jaggies are so hard to see on the extreme pixel densities that you find with 4k monitors. not to mention that hardware anti aliasing currently taxes gpus so much that its not realistic, yet, to play 4k with msaa/ssaa. also as api's are maturing with mantel and dx12 alleviating the cpu overheard... things like fxaa/smaa and other software based "near free" forms of anti aliasing will become the norm while offering tremendous quality with little to no performance cost.

i was gaming at 1440p with my old hd7950(r9-280) and didn't really have any problems, i just had to drop out a few settings on the heavy games though but it was still a more than playable experience.

Konane

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Ok so if i got a 780 ti with 3gb vram it should not have any problems with playing any game i want in even the future 1-2 years from now?

Konane

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Well at 1080p 3gb should be enough right?

plenty.

Solution