Solved

File Server/HTPC/General Server

I have been looking at AMD and Intel CPUs and I have been trying to make a decision on which platform to get.

I dont really want a discrete graphic card as I want to utilise the integrated graphics.

I need a suggested cpu + motherboard that can handle:
8 SATA ports
Plex Server
Web Server
SMB File Sharing

I was looking at the i3 4350 or the A10-7850K and I know that the CPU is better in the i3 but the GPU is better in the A10. I'm never intending to game on this system and it'll most likely run XBMC and playing 1080p files. It will either run Linux or Windows and I havent really decided yet. Can someone recommend me a motherboard and cpu that will be able to take this kind of load?

Budget is 350
Do note budget is for cpu and motherboard only
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about file server htpc general server
  1. This is almost exactly what I have for almost the exact same uses you need. Not sure how you were going to do it for under $350.


    The differences are I have 2x4GB 2133mhz RAM, a Cooler Master TX3 cooler, and three 2TB hard drives.

    The motherboard has 8 sata III ports and has been a VERY good motherboard.


    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-2000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $417.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 23:04 EDT-0400)
  2. CTurbo said:
    This is almost exactly what I have for almost the exact same uses you need. Not sure how you were going to do it for under $350.


    The differences are I have 2x4GB 2133mhz RAM, a Cooler Master TX3 cooler, and three 2TB hard drives.

    The motherboard has 8 sata III ports and has been a VERY good motherboard.


    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3M3Jr/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-2000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($72.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $417.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 23:04 EDT-0400)


    Somehow that motherboard in my country is turning out to be a lot more expensive. Weird. I think a relevant A88X Motherboard would also make do. Why the A10-6800K? Isn't the Graphics performance quite worse off compared to the A10-7850K?

    I also did mention $350 was only for the motherboard and CPU. Not the whole Desktop. :)
  3. The A10-6800k's integrated graphics are still very powerful, and is probably overkill for what we need. I can't see any reason to pay more for the A10 7850k. Honestly, an A6 or A8 would do. I like the FM2/FM2+ platform for these uses though.
  4. CTurbo said:
    The A10-6800k's integrated graphics are still very powerful, and is probably overkill for what we need. I can't see any reason to pay more for the A10 7850k. Honestly, an A6 or A8 would do. I like the FM2/FM2+ platform for these uses though.


    How does power consumption fare between the A10-6800K and A10-7850K at idle and at load?

    Would the CPU Performance difference between the Intel and AMD chips affect me from doing let's say 4-5 plex streams at once?
  5. Best answer
    The newer Kaveri should be a more efficient, but the difference would not be noticeable. My 6800k is surprisingly efficient. I wanted to get the 65w A10 6700, but the 6800k was cheaper, and I couldn't justify paying MORE for a low power cpu. At this point I don't think it would have made any difference anyway.

    The quad core A10s are roughly on par with the i3s in cpu performance so processing performance should be at least very similar. The A10's have MUCH stronger igpus of course. You can't go wrong with either IMO.
  6. I think I'll go with the 7700K. Its in between both the 6800K and 7850K but power consumption is better and the difference in price isnt too much.
  7. The 7700k would be fine. I kinda want the still not quite released A8 7600.
  8. CTurbo said:
    The 7700k would be fine. I kinda want the still not quite released A8 7600.


    Yeah I actually thought that would be a good fit but its not released so thats annoying.
Ask a new question

Read More

File Server CPUs Components