i5 4440+cheap mobo VS fx 6300 4,0ghz with an average mobo

OCmyJob

Reputable
May 17, 2014
Hello guys, I would like to know if it would be better if I buy a i5 4400 with a cheap mobo or a fx 6300 which I will overclock after some months and an average mobo... ga-970a-ud3p

OCmyJob

Reputable
May 17, 2014

Yeah for gaming, but are you sure? because the newest games will use more than 4 cores, ~6-8 cores I have heard... like watch dogs and bf4... so won't there be an advantage for fx 6300?

Don't get hung up on the number of cores. BENCHMARKS are what matters. Even if the FX-6300 suddenly beat the i5-4440 which is unlikely it would only be for that game and not a single other game on the planet thus far.

Having said that, the FX-6300 is a lot cheaper so some of that could go towards better graphics for games that aren't severely bottlenecked by the CPU but based on your question I recommend the i5-4440 or similar.

I've also been recommending the X4-760K with a compatible FM2+ motherboard but it's difficult to do anything without the total budget. That CPU gets roughly 90% the performance or better in most games as the i5's however in several it becomes severely bottlenecked.

You have to build a BALANCED computer though and since the X4-760K is about $100 cheaper it makes far more sense on low budget. A worst-case scenario would be the difference between the 760K and a $100 graphics card and the i5-4440 using it's iGPU. About the same price, but which setup would work better?

OCmyJob

Reputable
May 17, 2014

I can't really mention my budget cause there are many differences in prices in other countries, I live for instance in Greece so there is a massive difference in price taking into account other countries... I think it's nicer to buy a good mobo with an fx 6300 and I will be able to o.c. in some months with a cpu cooler, although I think at stock clock the i5 will be a little bit better, I just asked because the most low-budget PCs have amd processors... I will use a r9 270, I also wanted to buy an 4670k and a mobo with an z87m chipset but then I have to use the integrated gpu of intel and wait to raise money to buy a nice gpu...