Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New PC Build - Need Help/Advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2014 2:48:41 AM

Basically, can you please let me know if there is anything wrong with my build, or if there are any compatibility issues, any obsolete components, or any cheaper components that are just as good.

I will be using my PC for gaming and editing, here are the specs:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/RhodesW/saved/4ERP


Thanks :) 

More about : build advice

May 18, 2014 3:04:37 AM

instead of the haf id consider the one and only, fractal design define r4, other than that your pc is amazing.
be thankful your parts are cheap, same system where i live in australia would cost well on 3k+
m
0
l

Best solution

May 18, 2014 3:13:55 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.02 @ Scan.co.uk)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (£11.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£151.97 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£126.94 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£135.88 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£365.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£89.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£44.37 @ PC World Business)
Total: £1510.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:59 BST+0100)


I shall now give a rational for all the parts that i have selected.

Cpu) Its the same, the i7-4770K is a great Cpu :) 

Cpu Cooler) The Noctua Nh-d15 has great performance for air cooling, so im sticking with it.

Thermal Compound) Arctic sliver is great.

Motherboard) I went with the VII Hero instead of the VI Hero because the VII hero is about the same price and supports 4th and 5th generation intel CPUs

RAM) The trident X is cheaper and has lower CAS Latency, SO Win-Win.

Storage) The 840EVO uses TLC flash, which has lower endurance ( which means that it can be written/read to a fewer number of times than MLC flash. So i went with the Crucial M500 which has MLC flash. HDD is the same. WD's Caviar Blacks are great.

Graphics card) The 780ti costs much more than a 780, so i kept the 780.

Case) IMO, i think that you really don't need a beast of a case, so i went with the phantom 630. If you like the looks of the HAF X, go with it. The case is very personal.

PSU) That psu is great for the money.

Optical drive) Good blu-ray drive.

OS) Everest trading is selling win 7 pro 64 bit on amazon for 49 bucks, so its a good idea to buy it now. You can also buy the one that is sold by stop_computer for 59 bucks and it is fulfilled by amazon.

Wireless network adapter) Great adapter, i've used it myself.
Share
Related resources
May 18, 2014 4:13:54 AM

sonny8888 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.02 @ Scan.co.uk)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (£11.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£151.97 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£126.94 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£82.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£135.88 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£365.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£89.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£44.37 @ PC World Business)
Total: £1510.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:59 BST+0100)


I shall now give a rational for all the parts that i have selected.

Cpu) Its the same, the i7-4770K is a great Cpu :) 

Cpu Cooler) The Noctua Nh-d15 has great performance for air cooling, so im sticking with it.

Thermal Compound) Arctic sliver is great.

Motherboard) I went with the VII Hero instead of the VI Hero because the VII hero is about the same price and supports 4th and 5th generation intel CPUs

RAM) The trident X is cheaper and has lower CAS Latency, SO Win-Win.

Storage) The 840EVO uses TLC flash, which has lower endurance ( which means that it can be written/read to a fewer number of times than MLC flash. So i went with the Crucial M500 which has MLC flash. HDD is the same. WD's Caviar Blacks are great.

Graphics card) The 780ti costs much more than a 780, so i kept the 780.

Case) IMO, i think that you really don't need a beast of a case, so i went with the phantom 630. If you like the looks of the HAF X, go with it. The case is very personal.

PSU) That psu is great for the money.

Optical drive) Good blu-ray drive.

OS) Everest trading is selling win 7 pro 64 bit on amazon for 49 bucks, so its a good idea to buy it now. You can also buy the one that is sold by stop_computer for 59 bucks and it is fulfilled by amazon.

Wireless network adapter) Great adapter, i've used it myself.


One more thing, is the phantom 630 as good as the HAF X - as in, does it have as many ports etc.?

Also, would I need to buy any extra fans for the 630?

Thanks for the help,
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 6:06:48 AM

The HAF X has 1 e-sata port and a FireWire port that the 630 dosen't have. The 630 is equipped with enough fans so you wouldn't need to buy extra ones.
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 9:27:53 AM

sonny8888 said:
The HAF X has 1 e-sata port and a FireWire port that the 630 dosen't have. The 630 is equipped with enough fans so you wouldn't need to buy extra ones.


Are FireWire and eSata ports needed? In the past I've just used USB 2.0 and 3.0.
Even though it doesn't have these two features, I think I'll still go with it. It is cheaper than the HAF X and looks better (in my opinion). Thanks for the help.

One more thing, does the motherboard that you recommended have a built-in Ethernet port?
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximu...

Thanks, :) 
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 9:35:12 AM

Shaun Boyce said:
instead of the haf id consider the one and only, fractal design define r4, other than that your pc is amazing.
be thankful your parts are cheap, same system where i live in australia would cost well on 3k+


I see that you have the NZXT Phantom 630. How is it as a case in general? I'm edging towards buying it...
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 3:03:51 PM

RhodesW said:
sonny8888 said:
The HAF X has 1 e-sata port and a FireWire port that the 630 dosen't have. The 630 is equipped with enough fans so you wouldn't need to buy extra ones.


Are FireWire and eSata ports needed? In the past I've just used USB 2.0 and 3.0.
Even though it doesn't have these two features, I think I'll still go with it. It is cheaper than the HAF X and looks better (in my opinion). Thanks for the help.

One more thing, does the motherboard that you recommended have a built-in Ethernet port?
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximu...

Thanks, :) 


Most people shouldn't really need FireWire or esata, but if you use those things, it will be fairly easy to find a FireWire to usb or esata to usb. The maximus VII Hero has a built in Ethernet port
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 10:39:58 PM



[/quotemsg] I see that you have the NZXT Phantom 630. How is it as a case in general? I'm edging towards buying it...[/quotemsg]

the Phantom 63 is amazing. heaps of room for cable management (makes my pc looks great) can hold as much as you want in it, fully modular hdd cages are excellent, the ssd mounts behind the motherboard tray are excellent (had my ssds behind there now for few months, never a problem) and also it is so easy to get everything in. id consider it with the side window and fan, as the 200mm fan on the side cools gpus excellently
m
0
l
May 18, 2014 10:41:49 PM

RhodesW said:
Shaun Boyce said:
instead of the haf id consider the one and only, fractal design define r4, other than that your pc is amazing.
be thankful your parts are cheap, same system where i live in australia would cost well on 3k+


I see that you have the NZXT Phantom 630. How is it as a case in general? I'm edging towards buying it...



the Phantom 630 is amazing. heaps of room for cable management (makes my pc looks great) can hold as much as you want in it, fully modular hdd cages are excellent, the ssd mounts behind the motherboard tray are excellent (had my ssds behind there now for few months, never a problem) and also it is so easy to get everything in. id consider it with the side window and fan, as the 200mm fan on the side cools gpus excellently
m
0
l
May 19, 2014 9:31:28 AM

Shaun Boyce said:
RhodesW said:
Shaun Boyce said:
instead of the haf id consider the one and only, fractal design define r4, other than that your pc is amazing.
be thankful your parts are cheap, same system where i live in australia would cost well on 3k+


I see that you have the NZXT Phantom 630. How is it as a case in general? I'm edging towards buying it...



the Phantom 630 is amazing. heaps of room for cable management (makes my pc looks great) can hold as much as you want in it, fully modular hdd cages are excellent, the ssd mounts behind the motherboard tray are excellent (had my ssds behind there now for few months, never a problem) and also it is so easy to get everything in. id consider it with the side window and fan, as the 200mm fan on the side cools gpus excellently


Thanks for the help :) 
m
0
l
May 19, 2014 9:32:20 AM

sonny8888 said:
RhodesW said:
sonny8888 said:
The HAF X has 1 e-sata port and a FireWire port that the 630 dosen't have. The 630 is equipped with enough fans so you wouldn't need to buy extra ones.


Are FireWire and eSata ports needed? In the past I've just used USB 2.0 and 3.0.
Even though it doesn't have these two features, I think I'll still go with it. It is cheaper than the HAF X and looks better (in my opinion). Thanks for the help.

One more thing, does the motherboard that you recommended have a built-in Ethernet port?
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximu...

Thanks, :) 


Most people shouldn't really need FireWire or esata, but if you use those things, it will be fairly easy to find a FireWire to usb or esata to usb. The maximus VII Hero has a built in Ethernet port


Thanks for helping me out :)  - I'll be building it as soon I as I have saved enough money
m
0
l
!