My laptop, a 3.5 year old Dell Inspiron 15R N5010, has started giving me trouble. It fails to start frequently which I think is due to the hard drive. I also notice faint pink lines on the bottom of the screen and I think it needs replacing too. So instead of spending atleast £150 on repairs I'm thinking of getting a new laptop.
I am a university student and I use my laptop mainly for internet, word-processing, listening to music, watching films and some occasional gaming.
So without further edu let me answer the laptop FAQ:
1. What is your budget? About £400-500
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6 inches
3. What screen resolution do you want? Ideally full HD but 1366x768 would be acceptable
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? Not much as it’ll be plugged in all day
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I’m not a big gamer so I don’t need a powerful laptop but I do occasionally play FIFA and Football Manager
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Surfing the internet and doing my assignments (biggie), listening to music, word-processing, some photo editing etc. I usually run several programs at the same time i.e. Word, Firefox, Windows Media Player etc.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 750GB-1TB. SSD not necessary.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? About 3 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM or DVD writer
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I prefer Lenovo or Asus – I’ve never owned them but from what I’ve heard they’re reputed brands. All my or my Dad’s laptops have been Dell and I think its time for a change.
13. What country do you live in? UK
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. N/A
Although the previous guy wasn't very descriptive about anything, he was sort of right.
You want this Lenovo G505s. It easily fits your budget, has an AMD APU with dedicated graphics on top of it, and would easily do everything you want it to.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I had a look at the Lenovo laptop which you linked in your message. I'm assuming you recommended me the laptop with the A8 processor as it suits my budget. However, the 1.9 GHz clock speed would be a bit too slow for my liking.
The Lenovo is available with the A10 processor (2.5 GHz) for $525.00 from Amazon US and I could get my cousin to bring it over when he comes to the UK next month.