nickt0312

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Windows 8, 64 bit
i7 920
EVGA X58 mobo
750W Power Supply
GTX 680

So, I've been having some problems with random shut downs on my PC recently when playing some games like CS:GO and Red Orchestra 2 but, weirdly, not DayZ. If I remember from Event Viewer and it had to do with Kernal-Power 41 (63). I thought it was due to dust problems so I cleaned her out.

I noticed my PC's CPU was very, very hot when I removed it. When I booted back up after cleaning it, there was a problem where it would just shut down instantly before ever getting into BIOS.
I took off some thermal paste because my brother said he definitely put too much on and it may not be making contact with the CPU. We removed some and went back into the BIOS to see that my CPU was running at 85C while just in BIOS.

Can anyone help me out here with what steps I should take next? It should definitely not be running that hot, that much I know.

Solution
I would say that you may have taken too much thermal paste off, or didn't seat the cpu cooler entirely. I would say remove the cooler and remove all paste from it and cpu and add new past, grain of rice size drop is what I do right in the middle and it works great. Hope this fixes it, also make sure you reattached the 4 pin cpu power connector

Prestomatic

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I would say that you may have taken too much thermal paste off, or didn't seat the cpu cooler entirely. I would say remove the cooler and remove all paste from it and cpu and add new past, grain of rice size drop is what I do right in the middle and it works great. Hope this fixes it, also make sure you reattached the 4 pin cpu power connector

Solution

nickt0312

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I figured it out. I took you guys' advice and went ahead and removed my heatsink.

I used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to remove ALL of the thermal paste before on both the heatsink and CPU. I went ahead and reapplied a very small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) on the center of the CPU. I then put the heatsink back on and made absolutely sure that it was being put on evenly and then made sure the corner pins were pushed down correctly.

I rebooted and am now running at a solid 55C. I get way more FPS in games now too.

I think the problem was the old thermal paste made some high ridges against the CPU and heatsink plate. Once I put some new paste on after cleaning it, it works marvelously.