Solved

Need advice on airflow of my setup, abnormal heat (pics included)

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a brand new computer at a computer store for gaming and music production. I specified the components I wanted at the store and they built it.
Despite there being a Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 , my CPU would get extremely hot, for the setup: 45° idle, and 85 in gaming.
I got myself two additional fans (NF-P12 PWM) and that made my GPU feel a little better as well as the CPU but I'm still getting very hot temperatures compared to what I should expect from a build like this.
So I have a few questions about the airflow of my case (check the pictures)
- I noticed they mounted the cooler master 212EVO pointing towards the INSIDE of the case which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Should I change it and point it in the other direction ?
- My computer sits underneath a desk in a fairly crowded space. If I move it eslewhere can I expect a big difference ?
- Overall any advice on how to improve the airflow/reduce heat

Pictures:



I thank anyone for taking the time to help me out :)
Cheers !
PS: here's all the components if that's important:
- Intel i7 4770K
- MSI GTX770 GTX OC 2GB GDDR5
- Cooler master hyper EVO 212
- Asus s1150 Z87-A
- Case cooler master K380
- Be quiet 630 W
- 16gb DDR3 Kingston 2133 Mhz
- 2 3tb HDD toshiba 7200 RPM
- m500 240gg SSD drive
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice airflow setup abnormal heat pics included
  1. first..having a 85 degrees for a cpu in gaming ??? which cpu you have?
    i can see is a z87-a from asus....so should be i5 4670k or i7 4770k?
    did you put a thermal paste between cpu cooler and the cpu itself?
  2. badboyrog2 said:
    first..having a 85 degrees for a cpu in gaming ??? which cpu you have?


    I updated the post with the specs
  3. they have stripped out all the fans? your cooler should have at least 1 fan on it, the back should have a fan extracting and there should be another in the space above the cooler.
    so it looks like some 1 has been trying to pull a fast 1 with your case fans and cooler.
    for now if you have the brackets. mount the noctua fan onto the cooler and take the side fan and put it on the back of the case.
    then buy 4 more fans and mount 1 in front of the drive bay, 1 on the side and 2 on the top.
  4. Positive Airflow.

  5. to be honest i would never use that shop again,

    you have 2 choices as i see,

    1: add a fan on the rear as intake should supply cool air to the evo and exhaust out the top

    2: make all front and side fans intake then rear and top exhaust (make sure you add a rear fan) and make the evo blow out towards the exhaust,

    option 2 will be optimal air flow and cooling ignore anyone who talks about positive and negative pressure it won't matter until you actually know what your doing with air flow, from the pictures i think whoever works at that shop does not know what there doing but adding just 1 fan blowing air to the evo should reduce temperatures significantly
  6. HEXiT said:
    they have stripped out all the fans? your cooler should have at least 1 fan on it, the back should have a fan extracting and there should be another in the space above the cooler.
    so it looks like some 1 has been trying to pull a fast 1 with your case fans and cooler.
    for now if you have the brackets. mount the noctua fan onto the cooler and take the side fan and put it on the back of the case.
    then buy 4 more fans and mount 1 in front of the drive bay, 1 on the side and 2 on the top.


    When I tried putting a noctua as an exhaust in the back it got even hotten. It might be because the CPU fan is right in front of it and blowing in the other direction ? I really don't know much about this
  7. well for the ventilation system..keep it simple
    http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/product_feature/K380-ph2.jpg
    but its not normal to have 85 degrees fro the cpu , the maximum temp is 72 degrees at load
    you should stop right away to play game , you have to fix this issue as soon as possible
  8. Julien C said:
    HEXiT said:
    they have stripped out all the fans? your cooler should have at least 1 fan on it, the back should have a fan extracting and there should be another in the space above the cooler.
    so it looks like some 1 has been trying to pull a fast 1 with your case fans and cooler.
    for now if you have the brackets. mount the noctua fan onto the cooler and take the side fan and put it on the back of the case.
    then buy 4 more fans and mount 1 in front of the drive bay, 1 on the side and 2 on the top.


    When I tried putting a noctua as an exhaust in the back it got even hotten. It might be because the CPU fan is right in front of it and blowing in the other direction ? I really don't know much about this


    put the rear fan as an intake on your current set up or else set it up like SR-71 Blackbird has shown
  9. kiezz said:
    to be honest i would never use that shop again,

    you have 2 choices as i see,

    1: add a fan on the rear as intake should supply cool air to the evo and exhaust out the top

    2: make all front and side fans intake then rear and top exhaust (make sure you add a rear fan) and make the evo blow out towards the exhaust,

    option 2 will be optimal air flow and cooling ignore anyone who talks about positive and negative pressure it won't matter until you actually know what your doing with air flow, from the pictures i think whoever works at that shop does not know what there doing but adding just 1 fan blowing air to the evo should reduce temperatures significantly


    I think I'm going to go with option 2. SR-71's diagram points to the same answer as well, thanks !
    I really don't know what I'm doing though, how hard is it to take out the fan and put it back on the other side ? Am i gonna have to unscrew the whole thing or can I do it without having to do that (since the radiator wouldn't move) ?
  10. follow the picture of SR-71 BLACKBIRD SHOW YOU
  11. Best answer
    The fans on the EVO are easy to switch and it needs to be done to force the hot air out of the case.
  12. I would check the thermal paste application.
    The 212 series has direct contact heatpipes.
    It requires a lot more thermal paste to get it right. If they did the rice size blob in the middle of the cpu method, most of the cpu will not be covered with paste.
    First you need to fill the groves between the heat pipes with paste. then apply two thin lines about 1/2 inch apart on the cpu. Install the cooler, being careful to set it down as flat as possible, otherwise the paste will get pushed to one side or the other and still not get complete coverage.
    Even with the bad fan set up you should not be getting that hot.


    Add another fan as the rear exhaust. Unclip the cpu fan and clip it to the other side of the heatsink.
    A bottom intake fan helps cool the video card but with the case sitting on the floor it will suck up a lot of dust. Raising the case off the floor about one foot will reduce dust pickup by 80% or more.
  13. Thanks for all your replies ! I just got done changing the fan to make it like the diagram and I'm happy to report temperatures hovering at around 50-55°C when gaming with peaks at 60°C which is a lot less than before :).
    And I'm going to look into that as well Unolocogringo. Given how bad they built the computer, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't apply the thermal paste right. I'm a little scared of doing it since I don't really know what I'm doing but I guess with your directions and a couple of video tutorials it shouldn't be that hard :).
    Thanks again !
  14. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($7.24 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $7.24
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 20:05 EDT-0400)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming airflow Components Cooler Master Computers CPUs hot Heat fans