Solved

USB ports not working, even during boot - EVGA P55 SLI

I have a custom-built computer with an EVGA P55 SLI motherboard. It has 4 on-board USB ports and I've added 2 in front and 2 in back. It definitely seems to be a problem with my computer hardware, since it is cross-OS and the devices work on other computers.

Symptoms:

Troubleshooting attempted:

Really running out of ideas here, other than the board being fried. Any other suggestions, or necessary information? I am able to boot images from CD, but not USB. Have access to Windows 7/8 install discs, Hiren's BootCD and several Linux distros, pretty comfortable with most operations.

Thanks in advance. Any sort of input would be appreciated!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usb ports working boot evga p55 sli
  1. Make sure you have your motherboard's drivers installed (and up to date). If not go to the manufacturer's website and search for drivers for the model of your motherboard. Once you've downloaded the driver(s) give the system a reboot if necessary. Your usb should work fine now. I had this issue with my usb 3.0 until I isntalled the driver and then it worked. A faster way to get the driver is from the disk you received with your motherboard, you'll find all the drivers you need there.
  2. bwl said:
    Make sure you have your motherboard's drivers installed (and up to date).


    Thanks for the reply. I have already installed all of the downloads I could find from EVGA, other than the ones that seemed unnecessary. I don't use RAID. Here is the whole list from their site:

    Family: Intel P55
    Part Number: 132-LF-E655 - EVGA P55
    Type: All
    OS: Windows 8/8.1 64bit

    Installed Not installed
    -----------------------------------
    Audio R2.73 132-LF-E655 Windows 8/8.1 64bit
    Chipset Driver 9.3.0.1019 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Software Utilities Eleet 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP

    Intel RAID Management 10.8.0.1003 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Network 11.45.1.3 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP

    BIOS A74 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Audio 2.52 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    RAID 10.6.0.1002 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP


    Also, am I correct in thinking that installing drivers shouldn't be necessary for functioning in BIOS/boot/DOS?
  3. Kaelis said:
    bwl said:
    Make sure you have your motherboard's drivers installed (and up to date).


    Thanks for the reply. I have already installed all of the downloads I could find from EVGA, other than the ones that seemed unnecessary. I don't use RAID. Here is the whole list from their site:

    Family: Intel P55
    Part Number: 132-LF-E655 - EVGA P55
    Type: All
    OS: Windows 8/8.1 64bit

    Installed Not installed
    -----------------------------------
    Audio R2.73 132-LF-E655 Windows 8/8.1 64bit
    Chipset Driver 9.3.0.1019 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Software Utilities Eleet 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP

    Intel RAID Management 10.8.0.1003 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Network 11.45.1.3 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP

    BIOS A74 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    Audio 2.52 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP
    RAID 10.6.0.1002 132-LF-E655 Win8/Win7/Vista/XP

    You wouldn't happen to have any usb 3.0 ports would you? I have a few devices that don't respond when I plug them in the usb or some don't respond for 2.0 since they are made for 3.0. If this is the case, check which ones the hardware is plugged into and try and do a bit of mixing and matching. If this doesn't work, sometimes it can be that the back metal pannel for the usb connections is stopping the usb go all the way in. If it seems like this is the case, you might want to try and remove that pannel and plug the device in without the pannel and see how it goes.
  4. bwl said:
    You wouldn't happen to have any usb 3.0 ports would you? I have a few devices that don't respond when I plug them in the usb or some don't respond for 2.0 since they are made for 3.0. If this is the case, check which ones the hardware is plugged into and try and do a bit of mixing and matching. If this doesn't work, sometimes it can be that the back metal pannel for the usb connections is stopping the usb go all the way in. If it seems like this is the case, you might want to try and remove that pannel and plug the device in without the pannel and see how it goes.

    Nope, all 2.0. I guess I actually misspoke about how many ports I have. From the manual:
    Quote:
    Thirteen USB 2.0 ports (Seven rear panel ports, six onboard USB headers)

    I am using the rear panel ports, so I would think the metal panel shouldn't be an issue. The ports connected to the onboard headers weren't working either. They are currently disconnected for easier troubleshooting.
  5. Kaelis said:
    bwl said:
    You wouldn't happen to have any usb 3.0 ports would you? I have a few devices that don't respond when I plug them in the usb or some don't respond for 2.0 since they are made for 3.0. If this is the case, check which ones the hardware is plugged into and try and do a bit of mixing and matching. If this doesn't work, sometimes it can be that the back metal pannel for the usb connections is stopping the usb go all the way in. If it seems like this is the case, you might want to try and remove that pannel and plug the device in without the pannel and see how it goes.

    Nope, all 2.0. I guess I actually misspoke about how many ports I have. From the manual:
    Quote:
    Thirteen USB 2.0 ports (Seven rear panel ports, six onboard USB headers)

    I am using the rear panel ports, so I would think the metal panel shouldn't be an issue. The ports connected to the onboard headers weren't working either. They are currently disconnected for easier troubleshooting.

    I'm not too sure in that case. It certainly has to be a software/driver issue, as your hardware seems like it's fine. Try messing about with devices in device manager, anything you think might be related to the problem. I don't really know for this one :(
  6. bwl said:
    I'm not too sure in that case. It certainly has to be a software/driver issue, as your hardware seems like it's fine. Try messing about with devices in device manager, anything you think might be related to the problem. I don't really know for this one :(

    I don't think it could be software/driver since the peripherals all work on another computer, but none of them work regardless of OS or even in BIOS. I could be wrong, but don't know of any software that would have such a low-level effect. I did poke around in device manager, but to no avail.

    I really appreciate the help! It's fine if you can't come up with anything else, I'm stumped too. That's why I came here. :)
  7. Best answer
    Kaelis said:
    bwl said:
    I'm not too sure in that case. It certainly has to be a software/driver issue, as your hardware seems like it's fine. Try messing about with devices in device manager, anything you think might be related to the problem. I don't really know for this one :(

    I don't think it could be software/driver since the peripherals all work on another computer, but none of them work regardless of OS or even in BIOS. I could be wrong, but don't know of any software that would have such a low-level effect. I did poke around in device manager, but to no avail.

    I really appreciate the help! It's fine if you can't come up with anything else, I'm stumped too. That's why I came here. :)

    It'll probably be your motherboard (or the device it's plugged into then. If all comes to worse, you might want to take it to a technician.

    Good luck :)
  8. For anyone reading about this problem, I did end up sending in the motherboard for an RMA.

    The new board was working fine, until I somehow seemed to have shorted it out again. Pretty disappointing, to say the least. Wondering if there may be some recurring problem that I need to deal with.
Ask a new question

Read More

USB Keyboards Computers Boot Devices Motherboards