Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

upgrading from a Gt220 to GTX 550 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 20, 2014 12:45:30 PM

so the title says it all, i am also running Pentium E2200 OC'd at 3Ghz. and 4gb of ram,
gonna get the card for ~70$ is it worth the upgrade?
May 20, 2014 1:03:37 PM

Depending on your PSU you will have problems with the GTX 550 ti.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 20, 2014 1:26:03 PM

geraldolvn said:
Depending on your PSU you will have problems with the GTX 550 ti.

it's a FSP ATX-350PNF it only outputs 350W but according to all the online power consumption calculators i will do just fine with my non-power hungry pentium

m
0
l
May 20, 2014 1:26:44 PM

only problem can't find a 6pin on the damn thing,maybe i could use a molex adaptor instead?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2014 1:27:37 PM

Joris said:
only problem can't find a 6pin on the damn thing,maybe i could use a molex adaptor instead?


Yes, you'll have to use a Molex to PCIe adapter. They're cheap.
Can you read the +12V rating on the PSU's nameplate?
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 1:28:37 PM

clutchc said:
Yeah, it will be worth the upgrade. Can't say if will be worth the money tho. Do you trust the seller?
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-550-Ti-vs-GeForce-G...

it's a second-hand card from a person that i never meet before.. so not really,but there's still a 6month factory warranty
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2014 1:34:19 PM

Joris said:
clutchc said:
Yeah, it will be worth the upgrade. Can't say if will be worth the money tho. Do you trust the seller?
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-550-Ti-vs-GeForce-G...

it's a second-hand card from a person that i never meet before.. so not really,but there's still a 6month factory warranty


The GTX 550 Ti is a 116W card. That PSU wasn't intended on a card that needs a PCIe 6 pin connection. I am going to reneg a bit on my initial nod I gave you. You will be pushing the PSU with that card.
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 1:34:29 PM

clutchc said:
Joris said:
only problem can't find a 6pin on the damn thing,maybe i could use a molex adaptor instead?


Yes, you'll have to use a Molex to PCIe adapter. They're cheap.
Can you read the +12V rating on the PSU's nameplate?

it says pretty much the same about two 12V,here i made a pic of it: http://www.part.lt/img/4da24d04bda1d89deb526d469b93d99c...

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2014 1:37:04 PM

Joris said:
clutchc said:
Joris said:
only problem can't find a 6pin on the damn thing,maybe i could use a molex adaptor instead?


Yes, you'll have to use a Molex to PCIe adapter. They're cheap.
Can you read the +12V rating on the PSU's nameplate?

it says pretty much the same about two 12V,here i made a pic of it: http://www.part.lt/img/4da24d04bda1d89deb526d469b93d99c...



The two +12V rails can handle 300W of output power. That's a plus. But it will be close when the card is loaded up. Best to upgrade the PSU, first.

Or... think about another card. Is $70 your limit?
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 1:42:17 PM

clutchc said:
Joris said:
clutchc said:
Joris said:
only problem can't find a 6pin on the damn thing,maybe i could use a molex adaptor instead?


Yes, you'll have to use a Molex to PCIe adapter. They're cheap.
Can you read the +12V rating on the PSU's nameplate?

it says pretty much the same about two 12V,here i made a pic of it: http://www.part.lt/img/4da24d04bda1d89deb526d469b93d99c...



The two +12V rails can handle 300W of output power. That's a plus. But it will be close when the card is loaded up. Best to upgrade the PSU, first.

Or... think about another card. Is $70 your limit?

probably is,but the site i buy this stuff from is being updated daily because people are putting there stuff for sale there,i think i could sell my GT220 and get a better PSU but all the new PSU that can handle 24A on 12V rail cost more then the GPU itself...

m
0
l
May 20, 2014 1:43:42 PM

is it possible that the GTX550Ti will still run on this PSU (i understand it will be pushed beyond what it was designed for(don't really care if it cooks in a month or two)) but there must be some fluctuation value right?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2014 2:11:06 PM

It'll run. It only uses max amps at load. And the usual result of a too-small PSU (if the PSU is of good quality and well made with a UL approved or equivalent rating) is that the PC will shut down or re-boot when it can't keep up any more. Cheap PSUs on the other hand, tend to die catastrophically and take out other components with them.

Most FSP PSUs are good quality. But I'm not sure about the OEM models.
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 2:52:15 PM

What does OEM stand for?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2014 2:58:44 PM

Joris said:
What does OEM stand for?

Original Equipment Manufacturer
It means that the system builder may have requested a specific design for his PSU that doesn't (necessarily) follow the specs of the retail version. The FSP PSU in your pic "looks" like it might be an OEM.
m
0
l
May 20, 2014 11:46:43 PM

i'll give it a try with the GPU if it won't function properly i will later get a better PSU,what Budget PSUs should i be looking at?
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:49:34 AM

How many HDs and Fans do you have in your PC?

It should work, but I still concerned.
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:57:09 AM

geraldolvn said:
How many HDs and Fans do you have in your PC?

It should work, but I still concerned.

1 HDD, 1 LED fan the cooler master outervision calculator says Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is
313W with the GTX 550Ti and with the Gt220 it's 220W.Also i choose the E2220 which runs at 2.4Ghz in the calculator instead of my E2200 running at 3Ghz stock volt.
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:17:24 AM

but that's not the point,i suppose the PSU will reach it's peak at loads and if the pc starts shutting down or rebooting i'll just change it, the thing i'm worried about is that those two molex might not be sufficient enough
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:25:40 AM

Try those sites, it's not saying you are using 332W, it is saying the recommended for you is a 332W PSU.

I'm at work, this site (part.it...) is blocked. How much are you getting?

I got: 332W High End and 313 Regular

m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:28:40 AM

So, give it a try.
If is is not wnough, change the PSU
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:44:27 AM

geraldolvn said:
Try those sites, it's not saying you are using 332W, it is saying the recommended for you is a 332W PSU.

I'm at work, this site (part.it...) is blocked. How much are you getting?

I got: 332W High End and 313 Regular


i got recommended minimum 313W and that's the only rating there's no 332W

m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:44:53 AM

geraldolvn said:
Try those sites, it's not saying you are using 332W, it is saying the recommended for you is a 332W PSU.

I'm at work, this site (part.it...) is blocked. How much are you getting?

I got: 332W High End and 313 Regular


what's the difference between high-end desktop and a regular one? there are two options on the site

m
0
l
May 21, 2014 9:08:13 AM

getting the card in a few hours will post what happens
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 12:17:03 PM

got the card runs just fine and while i type it's running a furmark burn-in test,
and i think my PSU is cooking, there is cooking dust smell in my room(might just be me),although there is something that worries me more:
1. the CPU has Q-fan off and at normal temps(60C) it was always 2.3K RPM and now even at those same temps it's 2.7K RPM although the temps are the same and they keep increase over the 2.7K when a bit warmer(didn't even know the fan can be pushed that hard)
2.when i stress the GPU the temp so far rose to a max of 86C and the fans of the GPU are almost at 100% by trying to compenstate,is it fine for a non-reference Gigabyte version,or should i try changing the thermal paste?
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 1:33:09 PM

cleaned the dust out of the PSU there was more then 6years of dust there
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2014 2:13:53 PM

Sounds like you have an old dirty PC. What is the make/model of the case and how many case fans do you have? The temp of the gfx card at load is high, but still safe. It may be that your case does not have sufficient air flow for that card. I'll bet the PSU got hotter than normal and cooked off some enamel insulation from the transformer. Maybe got the capacitors hot too.

I figured the PSU would handle the card. But not sure for how long if it is over six years old...
m
1
l
May 21, 2014 2:27:38 PM

clutchc said:
Sounds like you have an old dirty PC. What is the make/model of the case and how many case fans do you have? The temp of the gfx card at load is high, but still safe. It may be that your case does not have sufficient air flow for that card. I'll bet the PSU got hotter than normal and cooked off some enamel insulation from the transformer. Maybe got the capacitors hot too.

I figured the PSU would handle the card. But not sure for how long if it is over six years old...

after i cleaned all the dust it's not even heating anymore, the top of the case is still a bit warm but nothing to serious,it's a simple one exhaust fan config with a place on the side panel for one more,it says vector on the case nothing more,also tried running burn-in test and it's just fine
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 2:29:07 PM

by the way when i stress the gpu's memory controller it makes a weird buzzing sound i figure it might be the coil but never had this before it's kinda scary(i'm sure it's the PCB and not the fan)
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2014 2:36:30 PM

I used to have a case that had a solid top panel that always overheated. I removed all the components and took the case in the garage and hole sawed a 4 1/2" hole in the top, drilled 4 holes, and mounted a 120mm filtered fan grill up there. Problem solved. Heat rises, gets trapped inside the case if there isn't good exhaust. A vented top will allow heat to escape via thermal dynamics. You may want to consider that if heat continues to be an issue. Eventually, heat will take its toll on the rest of the components.
Share
May 21, 2014 2:43:56 PM

clutchc said:
I used to have a case that had a solid top panel that always overheated. I removed all the components and took the case in the garage and hole sawed a 4 1/2" hole in the top, drilled 4 holes, and mounted a 120mm filtered fan grill up there. Problem solved. Heat rises, gets trapped inside the case if there isn't good exhaust. A vented top will allow heat to escape via thermal dynamics. You may want to consider that if heat continues to be an issue. Eventually, heat will take its toll on the rest of the components.

that's genius, never thought of that before!
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 2:44:09 PM

what do you think about the buzzing GPU on memory controller loads?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2014 2:52:03 PM

Joris said:
what do you think about the buzzing GPU on memory controller loads?


Without being there to actually hear it myself and see the situation, I would rather not say. But if the sound isn't bothersome to you, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, it's a used card. All electronics causes audio frequencies. Mostly, we just can't hear it.

m
1
l
May 21, 2014 9:31:32 PM

clutchc said:
Joris said:
what do you think about the buzzing GPU on memory controller loads?


Without being there to actually hear it myself and see the situation, I would rather not say. But if the sound isn't bothersome to you, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, it's a used card. All electronics causes audio frequencies. Mostly, we just can't hear it.


i read some anomalies of hardware when it buzzes on loads some do it more some do it less,i can barely hear it if i close my case but at first it looked frightening cause i never experienced such things coming from the PCB,anyway thanks and i hope it will hold for now,cheers
m
0
l
!