Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow transfer speeds, WNDR3700v4 WD My Cloud TP-link WDN4800 450Mbps gigabit card

Last response: in Components
Share
May 21, 2014 4:06:01 AM

My home network has never had transfer speeds above 5MB/s

I have:

Netgear WNDR3700v4 dual band gigabit router running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/29/14) std

TP-link WDN4800 gigabit dual band PCI network card

WD My Cloud for storage

I have tried various things with no success, all cords have been replaced with cat 6 and the front LED's on my netgear router are green for LAN (gigabit vs amber for 10/100)

Everything is Wired with cat 6 cable except my PC with the TP-link gigabit PCI card connected on 5ghz band.

Any thoughts? would very much appreciate even 20MB/s
May 21, 2014 4:20:02 AM

The WDMYCLOUD can achieve 60MB/second however only if your computer is also connected to the router via the wired ETHERNET cable.

If you're using wi-fi your limited by the wireless speed which in your case is 5MB/second. That sounds about right but it varies by distance/obstruction even on the same hardware.

I would have though you'd get slightly higher but definitely not 20MB/second. I get about 6MB/second from 2nd floor to the basement if using a Belking USB wi-fi device. Nothing fancy.

*Make sure you have your ROUTER and computer setup to be using the 5MHz band. You said you where, but as I think about it 5MB/second does seem slightly low but again I'm not sure of your distance/obstructions. It would be interesting to see what you get in the same room.

(CAT6 is also pointless as CAT5 can achieve 120MB/second roughly which is double what the WDMYCLOUD can use even if your PC had an SSD drive and could read at this speed AND was connected via an Ethernet cable).
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:26:49 AM

photonboy said:
The WDMYCLOUD can achieve 60MB/second however only if your computer is also connected to the router via the wired ETHERNET cable.

If you're using wi-fi your limited by the wireless speed which in your case is 5MB/second. That sounds about right but it varies by distance/obstruction even on the same hardware.

I would have though you'd get slightly higher but definitely not 20MB/second. I get about 6MB/second from 2nd floor to the basement if using a Belking USB wi-fi device. Nothing fancy.

*Make sure you have your ROUTER and computer setup to be using the 5MHz band.

(CAT6 is also pointless as CAT5 can achieve 120MB/second roughly which is double what the WDMYCLOUD can use even if your PC had an SSD drive and could read at this speed AND was connected via an Ethernet cable).


So even using a gigabit network card in my PC my max speeds will be around 5MB/s?
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:30:30 AM

wayoff333 said:
photonboy said:
The WDMYCLOUD can achieve 60MB/second however only if your computer is also connected to the router via the wired ETHERNET cable.

If you're using wi-fi your limited by the wireless speed which in your case is 5MB/second. That sounds about right but it varies by distance/obstruction even on the same hardware.

I would have though you'd get slightly higher but definitely not 20MB/second. I get about 6MB/second from 2nd floor to the basement if using a Belking USB wi-fi device. Nothing fancy.

*Make sure you have your ROUTER and computer setup to be using the 5MHz band.

(CAT6 is also pointless as CAT5 can achieve 120MB/second roughly which is double what the WDMYCLOUD can use even if your PC had an SSD drive and could read at this speed AND was connected via an Ethernet cable).


So even using a gigabit network card in my PC my max speeds will be around 5MB/s?


You said you were using a wireless card.
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:36:52 AM

Update:
Your wi-fi card says it can handle traffic up to 450Mbps which is 56MBytes/second. While that's roughly 10X what you're actually getting I've never seen anybody get remotely near what these claims are so I don't know under what circumstances this should work.

SO:
1) Max theoretical wi-fi is 56MB/sec (what do they mean by "theoretical" anyway?)
2) Distance and obstructions lower this
3) ROUTER can lower this
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:37:33 AM

photonboy said:
wayoff333 said:
photonboy said:
The WDMYCLOUD can achieve 60MB/second however only if your computer is also connected to the router via the wired ETHERNET cable.

If you're using wi-fi your limited by the wireless speed which in your case is 5MB/second. That sounds about right but it varies by distance/obstruction even on the same hardware.

I would have though you'd get slightly higher but definitely not 20MB/second. I get about 6MB/second from 2nd floor to the basement if using a Belking USB wi-fi device. Nothing fancy.

*Make sure you have your ROUTER and computer setup to be using the 5MHz band.

(CAT6 is also pointless as CAT5 can achieve 120MB/second roughly which is double what the WDMYCLOUD can use even if your PC had an SSD drive and could read at this speed AND was connected via an Ethernet cable).


So even using a gigabit network card in my PC my max speeds will be around 5MB/s?


You said you were using a wireless card.


My apologies, yes I'm using a wireless N 450Mbps gigabit card on the 5ghz band
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 4:41:07 AM

Okay.
So long story short I would have expected as high as 10MB/second but no more based on my experience with wi-fi devices. I ended up running a CAT5 cable down a handy pipe to the basement. There are also POWER LINE devices that seem to work pretty well also but some aren't very good.
m
0
l
May 21, 2014 5:01:31 AM

photonboy said:
Okay.
So long story short I would have expected as high as 10MB/second but no more based on my experience with wi-fi devices. I ended up running a CAT5 cable down a handy pipe to the basement. There are also POWER LINE devices that seem to work pretty well also but some aren't very good.


So I'm moving to a new house next month. My options there might be a little better. Unfortunately my only option is AT&T uverse (2wire modem/router) if I bridge my current router with this via direct Ethernet or powerline and have my PC directly connected via Ethernet to my netgear router, I should see a significant speed increase in transferring files?

I don't transfer files often but sabnzbd save location is on the WD my cloud (streams 1080p great to boxee)

m
0
l
!