970 pro3 r2 and overclocking fx8320

cjhudlin

Reputable
May 21, 2014
i have 970 pro3 r2 and i had stable clocks at 4.3ghz, for weeks, then i thought id give the autotune a try. it stalled on 5ghz, and started falling at 4.9gig. so i set my clocks to 4.8, which it ran stable for a few days with no over heating. my vlotages were 1.475v on cpu. and had an fsb of 2.4gig. but just the other day i was about to play a game and it just stalled and shut off. i figured the bios had blow up, i get no beeps, but i get power and lights, no video. i just need to confirm my findings.

any more specs needed i can post them :)

Solution
Heh I burned myself on a BIOS chip before that I accidently placed backwards (it still worked when I put it in the right way afterwards).

It is possible you blew the VRMs. Have you inspected the front and rear of your motherboard's VRM area?

If that checks out, then I got a few other tricks up my sleeve for raising mobos from the dead.

cjhudlin

Reputable
May 21, 2014

thanks for your input, but i have done lots of testing, i have tried clearing my cmos, reseated ram, cpu and gpu's.

also i forgot to add. my bios chip was so hot it blistered my finger.

i did some research on the possible fault that the vrm's my have blown, since the board is a 4+1 p/p and its strongly advised that when using such a cpu an 8+2 p/p mobo is used, especially for overclocking

Heh I burned myself on a BIOS chip before that I accidently placed backwards (it still worked when I put it in the right way afterwards).

It is possible you blew the VRMs. Have you inspected the front and rear of your motherboard's VRM area?

If that checks out, then I got a few other tricks up my sleeve for raising mobos from the dead.

Solution

cjhudlin

Reputable
May 21, 2014

lol, it hurt, was quite surprised lol

yeah i have and i cant see any distinctive burns or marks on either side. i must have picked it up like 6 times like... are you sure theres nothing burnt!? although, when i was first investigating i did smell a slight burning smell, but i thought nothing of it since the board still powered up.

only problem is now that im not home until saturday so will try your tricks when i get in, and problem two is that i have lost thi bios after launching it somewhere as it was hot lol so i must find it.

i messaged ccl computers and they said they will replace it if they find that its faulty, but if i can get it working then i can just deal with the one i have. or do you think i should just replace it? i want to find a solution so others can look here and go, ahh, thats a fix! rather than doing hours and hours of research to find nothing as far fetched.

i appreciate your help :)