Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD FX vs. Intel Core

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 22, 2014 8:58:49 AM

Heres my dilemma:

I have some computers that need to be built. I have basically everything in place except for CPUS and motherboards.

These computers are very basic (Only using 64GB SSDs for windows) as most of the files that are accessed are placed on a company NAS. These computers do some simple bookkeeping, but get put under a ton of stress when they are rendering some 5K images (Medical stuff).

My question is: do I go intel (Great editing/rendering) vs. the AMD FX (without a GPU).

I already have GPUs ready to go

TL;DR
Looking for suggestions whether to go AMD or Intel for rendering images.

Thanks guys
(p.s. if suggesting a motherboard, please make sure it's mATX)

More about : amd intel core

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2014 9:24:15 AM

Intel, i7 if you have the money, i5/Xeon 1230 V2/3 if you want to save a bit.
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:27:58 AM

Dylzan said:
Intel, i7 if you have the money, i5/Xeon 1230 V2/3 if you want to save a bit.


As far as I see it, the i5 is fairly more "gaming" oriented as opposed to the Xeon being more for "servers". Would there be any benefit going Xeon vs. i5 aside from the server style?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2014 9:32:25 AM

adumbbird13 said:
Dylzan said:
Intel, i7 if you have the money, i5/Xeon 1230 V2/3 if you want to save a bit.


As far as I see it, the i5 is fairly more "gaming" oriented as opposed to the Xeon being more for "servers". Would there be any benefit going Xeon vs. i5 aside from the server style?


The Xeon, at least the one I mentioned (and models above) have 8 threads due to hyperthreading, mcuh like i7s but are about £30-50 cheaper. Although, make sure the motherboard supports them, normally ASRocks do.
Share
May 22, 2014 9:41:56 AM

Dylzan said:
adumbbird13 said:
Dylzan said:
Intel, i7 if you have the money, i5/Xeon 1230 V2/3 if you want to save a bit.


As far as I see it, the i5 is fairly more "gaming" oriented as opposed to the Xeon being more for "servers". Would there be any benefit going Xeon vs. i5 aside from the server style?


The Xeon, at least the one I mentioned (and models above) have 8 threads due to hyperthreading, mcuh like i7s but are about £30-50 cheaper. Although, make sure the motherboard supports them, normally ASRocks do.


Thanks man!
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 10:37:39 AM

everone is so high end. if you want to save some cash, consider looking up APU performance. opening a 5k image isnt hard. most of the time the network is slower then the chips.

the kevari may be a great choice or even a I3 system.

i5 and i7 your talking 200$ and up for each chip.. your pretty far from gaming needs. office needs are practically below the low peformance. most office's have P4's or core2's in there systems... a i3 or a kevari would be like.... a merical.

the kevari apu can play BF4 on med settings at a playable frame rate, im sure it can open 4k jpg's just fine.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2014 11:08:41 AM

WarCrysis said:
everone is so high end. if you want to save some cash, consider looking up APU performance. opening a 5k image isnt hard. most of the time the network is slower then the chips.

the kevari may be a great choice or even a I3 system.

i5 and i7 your talking 200$ and up for each chip.. your pretty far from gaming needs. office needs are practically below the low peformance. most office's have P4's or core2's in there systems... a i3 or a kevari would be like.... a merical.

the kevari apu can play BF4 on med settings at a playable frame rate, im sure it can open 4k jpg's just fine.


He already has GPUs, and he's using it for rendering, hence my suggestion.
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 11:13:14 AM

adumbbird13 said:
Heres my dilemma:

I have some computers that need to be built. I have basically everything in place except for CPUS and motherboards.

These computers are very basic (Only using 64GB SSDs for windows) as most of the files that are accessed are placed on a company NAS. These computers do some simple bookkeeping, but get put under a ton of stress when they are rendering some 5K images (Medical stuff).

My question is: do I go intel (Great editing/rendering) vs. the AMD FX (without a GPU).

I already have GPUs ready to go

TL;DR
Looking for suggestions whether to go AMD or Intel for rendering images.

Thanks guys
(p.s. if suggesting a motherboard, please make sure it's mATX)


if the rendering software doesn't use multiple cpu threads then core i7 is probably a waste anyways as the i5's perform as well in single threaded performance.

AMD's sadly lack in single threaded performance and only start to make up some lost ground (maybe) on multi-threaded software, but intel still leads in CPU's.

What you are leaving out is your budget... saying you have "Some" computers... is that 3, 10, 17? AMD will be cheaper and the users may not notice a significant performance increase with intel CPU's.

Consider that an intel solution is going to cost at least $150 more (for i5 or higher) per system. If you only care about performance, intel is the way to go, but there are several factors you have omitted that will really determine which one is righ for you in your situation, intel has the performance crown, but AMD has the performance per dollar at many price points, but not all.
m
0
l
May 23, 2014 5:33:34 AM

dloweinc said:
adumbbird13 said:
Heres my dilemma:

I have some computers that need to be built. I have basically everything in place except for CPUS and motherboards.

These computers are very basic (Only using 64GB SSDs for windows) as most of the files that are accessed are placed on a company NAS. These computers do some simple bookkeeping, but get put under a ton of stress when they are rendering some 5K images (Medical stuff).

My question is: do I go intel (Great editing/rendering) vs. the AMD FX (without a GPU).

I already have GPUs ready to go

TL;DR
Looking for suggestions whether to go AMD or Intel for rendering images.

Thanks guys
(p.s. if suggesting a motherboard, please make sure it's mATX)


if the rendering software doesn't use multiple cpu threads then core i7 is probably a waste anyways as the i5's perform as well in single threaded performance.

AMD's sadly lack in single threaded performance and only start to make up some lost ground (maybe) on multi-threaded software, but intel still leads in CPU's.

What you are leaving out is your budget... saying you have "Some" computers... is that 3, 10, 17? AMD will be cheaper and the users may not notice a significant performance increase with intel CPU's.

Consider that an intel solution is going to cost at least $150 more (for i5 or higher) per system. If you only care about performance, intel is the way to go, but there are several factors you have omitted that will really determine which one is righ for you in your situation, intel has the performance crown, but AMD has the performance per dollar at many price points, but not all.


The rendering is multi-thread supported
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2014 8:46:25 AM

adumbbird13 said:
dloweinc said:
adumbbird13 said:
Heres my dilemma:

I have some computers that need to be built. I have basically everything in place except for CPUS and motherboards.

These computers are very basic (Only using 64GB SSDs for windows) as most of the files that are accessed are placed on a company NAS. These computers do some simple bookkeeping, but get put under a ton of stress when they are rendering some 5K images (Medical stuff).

My question is: do I go intel (Great editing/rendering) vs. the AMD FX (without a GPU).

I already have GPUs ready to go

TL;DR
Looking for suggestions whether to go AMD or Intel for rendering images.

Thanks guys
(p.s. if suggesting a motherboard, please make sure it's mATX)


if the rendering software doesn't use multiple cpu threads then core i7 is probably a waste anyways as the i5's perform as well in single threaded performance.

AMD's sadly lack in single threaded performance and only start to make up some lost ground (maybe) on multi-threaded software, but intel still leads in CPU's.

What you are leaving out is your budget... saying you have "Some" computers... is that 3, 10, 17? AMD will be cheaper and the users may not notice a significant performance increase with intel CPU's.

Consider that an intel solution is going to cost at least $150 more (for i5 or higher) per system. If you only care about performance, intel is the way to go, but there are several factors you have omitted that will really determine which one is righ for you in your situation, intel has the performance crown, but AMD has the performance per dollar at many price points, but not all.


The rendering is multi-thread supported


I would still recommend the Xeons, they are better overall chips, run cooler and are generally quicker in non gaming situations.
m
0
l
!