Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time PC builder, can someone take a look at my build?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Memory
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 22, 2014 9:08:51 PM

Hola. Tomorrow I will be going to my local Memory Express with a desktop PC build and will be getting them to assemble it. This is my first time building a PC so I am rather clueless. The build I have so far may be incompatible, I may be missing parts, some parts may be under powered compared to others, who knows. The build is limited by the parts that are in stock in my local store (edmonton north). Feel free to give me any and all recommendations, any part recommendations I will quickly check the availability of on the website. I apologies for the unconventional list of parts, I could not find some of them on pcpartpicker.

Case: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40045
Processor: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52071
CPU Cooler: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42591
Motherboard: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52047
Memory: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31393
Hard Drive 1: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47586
Hard Drive 2: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36523
Optical Drive: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45542
Video Card: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49450
Power: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49231

Thanks!

More about : time builder build

May 22, 2014 9:12:14 PM

right off the bat... you have an i5-4690 which WILL NOT overclock. you need the 'k' version which would be the i5-4690k so you could take advantage of the z97 and h100i so you can overclock.

if your not going to overclock.... get the xeon and skip the h100i cooler....
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46489
and get an asus b85 motherboard....
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45863

that motherboard is complete overkill and is made for dual graphics cards. the power supply you picked out will not support more than one graphics card. get a cheaper z97.

also i would get this power supply instead as it is a much better quality gold rated unit and only $10 more....
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48186
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:19:18 PM

nikoli707 said:
right off the bat... you have an i5-4690 which WILL NOT overclock. you need the 'k' version which would be the i5-4690k so you could take advantage of the z97 and h100i so you can overclock.

that motherboard is complete overkill and is made for dual graphics cards. the power supply you picked out will not support more than one graphics card. get a cheaper z97.


They don't have the k version in stock. Any similarly priced processors you can recommend?
I have also been struggling trying to pick out a motherboard, any suggestions and I would be eternally grateful.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 22, 2014 9:21:53 PM

the 4670k is the same thing as the 4690k, the only advantage the 4690k "may" have is a slight edge on very high overclocks, higher than 4.7ghz, and running slightly less voltages....as they have further refined the manufacturing process.

i see a decent combonwith the z87 board....
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_4670K_Z87K
Share
May 22, 2014 9:25:00 PM

nikoli707 said:
the 4670k is the same thing as the 4690k, the only advantage the 4690k "may" have is a slight edge on very high overclocks, higher than 4.7ghz, and running slightly less voltages....as they have further refined the manufacturing process.

i see a decent combonwith the z87 board....
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_4670K_Z87K


Thank's so much dude!
m
0
l
a c 109 } Memory
May 22, 2014 9:29:38 PM


My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------
I would not buy a liquid cooler. Particularly for a first timer.
Nor, would it do you any good at all for a non overclockable cpu.
You will game better with a i5-4670K which can run faster than the 4690 if you give it the mildest of overclocks and a simple air cooler.

Here is a list of psu quality tiers, buy a 650w unit from tier 1 or 2.
No need to pay more for modular or gold rating.
http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/...
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:30:05 PM

nikoli707 said:
yo, actually the gigabyte ud3h board with the 4670k is $409 after rebate, that a pretty darn good z87 board and is very popular.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_4670K_Z87XUD3...


Dope, they didn't have the other motherboard in stock but they have a few of these. Thanks again!
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:43:26 PM

geofelt said:

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------
I would not buy a liquid cooler. Particularly for a first timer.
Nor, would it do you any good at all for a non overclockable cpu.
You will game better with a i5-4670K which can run faster than the 4690 if you give it the mildest of overclocks and a simple air cooler.

Here is a list of psu quality tiers, buy a 650w unit from tier 1 or 2.
No need to pay more for modular or gold rating.
http://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/...


i fully agree with geofelt by the way. a phanteks or noctua is the end of the line. even the simple cooler master hyper 212 evo is a great cooler.

as far as the power supply geofelt, the op is getting everything from memory express and that was really the only pus that jumped out to me on in the limited units they have available. it has the power the 4670k+780ti needs without spending an arm and a leg but also being of much better quality than the other units in its rated power range. memory express doesn't have antec, seasonic, or xfx either so thats why i picked it.
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:48:10 PM

I put together the build using all Memory Express but using better quality components, here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($769.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1784.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-23 00:47 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 9:50:12 PM

i personally wouldn't get any 780ti that wasn't evga, msi, gigabyte, or asus... and i perfer that order too.
m
0
l
!