Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

8GB Ram only showing 6GB 64bit

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 23, 2014 4:14:12 AM

Hello, a few days ago, I had this annoying "MSI Installer Service" problem, I tried to restore, but then I got bsod everytime I log into my user account, also there's no text visible, no text under the icon, and anywhere else, the GUI also seems to be broken, after that I tried Startup Repair, and it works, I can log onto my user account, and fixed the MSI installer problem with windows repair from tweaking.com, and now I just noticed my ram is only shown 6GB from 8GB (2x4), CPU-Z says I got 8GB ram, I don't know how to fix this, the memory setting in the bios are also normal, I have a AMD A4 3400 with integrated HD6410D gpu with 512mb vram, could this be the problem? it was fine before this MSI thingy happened

Sorry my English is not really good
thanks
a b } Memory
May 23, 2014 5:29:55 AM

if your using the on chip graphics it may be due to shared memory lets say you got 8gb, the chips graphics will need a part of that for its self so lets say 2gb so now your system memory will be 6gb...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_graphics_memory
m
0
l
May 23, 2014 6:14:15 AM

junkeymonkey said:
if your using the on chip graphics it may be due to shared memory lets say you got 8gb, the chips graphics will need a part of that for its self so lets say 2gb so now your system memory will be 6gb...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_graphics_memory


usually even if I change the shared graphic memory in my bios setting to 1GB, its still show 8GB in Windows and doesn't make any effect, but this time I only put 512mb (default) for shared vram, will reinstalling a fresh copy of windows fix this?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
May 23, 2014 6:35:56 AM

have you checked each stick to see if one went bad? put one stick in the ss slot showen in your mamual and see if it shows correct then remove it and put the next one in and check it..

with windows repair from tweaking.com-- not a good idea. why not use Microsoft for this you don't know what kind of download it is due to a hack or something they added as spyware or whatever??

go to Microsoft and look at there fix it tools to see if it works I used it for a windows 7 update issue and it did fix it..
m
0
l
May 23, 2014 1:57:11 PM

junkeymonkey said:
have you checked each stick to see if one went bad? put one stick in the ss slot showen in your mamual and see if it shows correct then remove it and put the next one in and check it..

with windows repair from tweaking.com-- not a good idea. why not use Microsoft for this you don't know what kind of download it is due to a hack or something they added as spyware or whatever??

go to Microsoft and look at there fix it tools to see if it works I used it for a windows 7 update issue and it did fix it..


Tried that but still not working :/ 
m
0
l
May 23, 2014 2:52:32 PM

I'm okay with 6GB ram if it was caused by shared video memory, but why I can only use 3.25? each stick are working nicely
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 23, 2014 3:52:00 PM

don't know dude did some looking around I don't know your os will handle that memory all now I can think of if the os got damaged or corrupt in some way fooling with the windows installer seeing its a root program in windows. I hate to tell you to do a fresh install but I just don't know where else to go with it now.

Share
May 23, 2014 4:06:17 PM

junkeymonkey said:
don't know dude did some looking around I don't know your os will handle that memory all now I can think of if the os got damaged or corrupt in some way fooling with the windows installer seeing its a root program in windows. I hate to tell you to do a fresh install but I just don't know where else to go with it now.



Noted, will do a fresh install ASAP because I can't even run game smoothly like before :( 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
May 23, 2014 4:16:35 PM

sorry man , wish I could of done more
m
0
l
!