Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Did I just kill my CPU? Replaced every part. [Urgent]

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 24, 2014 6:11:39 AM

I'll start from the beginning as to not miss anything out. A few weeks ago I started my PC up and there was a burning smell, I didn't think twice about it and stupidly carried till it set on fire (A short in the motherboard perhaps?). After this, I booted it up and it seemed to work fine till it just switched off. I was unable to get past POST and it would not boot. Fans would stay on, maybe 1/2 a second, 5 seconds, as long as 15 seconds. I would try removing all the components apart from the CPU and RAM with the monitor plugged in to the onboard VGA.
My initial action was replacing the motherboard because it had a burnt out chip from fire damage and was seemingly the obvious cause of the problem. Replacing the motherboard had no avail so I then tested a new Modular Corsair 500M Power supply to see if it was the PSU that got destroyed in the short. Again, this gave the same results and the computer would not boot or show anything on the monitor with the fans just spinning and switching off again. After leaving it for a while, I took the new motherboard back to the shop and bought a new MSI motherboard with 4GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM as I was more than certain that it wasn't the motherboard, PSU, so the little fire and short must of just killed the RAM or something. So now, I've replaced the powersupply, motherboard, ram and am attempting to run the machine but still gives the same result as always.
Lastly, I was wondering wether, not putting a CPU cooler on or having a dodgy CPU cooler would prevent post? Without the CPU in the motherboard doesn't even have a BIOS screen and still nothing comes up on the monitor. So, I was also wondering wether all motherboards would state that there is a CPU failure or something or if it's a safety feature than it won't boot with a faulty CPU cooler. I'm looking to purchase a new CPU cooler as a last resort because before the fire event, I had removed it and put it back in place (Don't see why this would affect anything but still.)

To summarise, I've replaced the motherboard, RAM and PSU, I have a feeling it could be a CPU cooler fault and the motherboard preventing boot to protect CPU overheating. I've ran the PC with no peripherals, the graphics card (which works) in and out, the monitor in the onboard VGA, no hard drives in, 1 in 2 in, new ram in both slots. It's lead me to the conclusion that the CPU is broken, and if so, what is the likelihood of this happening after a short/small motherboard fire.

Thank you and all help is appreciated! I couldn't find anything on the forums about my specific problem.

- Joe.

(I'm happy to buy a new CPU i.e a £30 LGA1155 Celeron on eBay to test it.)
(I've been doing all tests whilst breadboarding)

Specs:

(Old motherboard-fire damage) - Asus PH61-MX
(Replacement mobo -took back- was working fine) - Asus - H61 M-A
(Current "working" motherboard) ASRock H61M-VG3
CPU - Intel i5 3470
CPU Cooler - Intel Stock cooler
PSU - Corsair 500M Modular
GPU - NVidia GTX650
RAM - 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blu

Best solution

May 24, 2014 6:18:18 AM

Try removing the ram and see if your motherboard beeps, also make sure you have the internal speaker correctly connected. Go through this checklist just to make sure. Also, could you pin point what exactly burnt in your motherboard?
"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist
"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist This checklist is a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to... See full content
Share
a c 194 à CPUs
a c 473 V Motherboard
May 24, 2014 6:30:02 AM

take the mb out of the case use one ram stick and no video card just the onboard video port and see if the mb will post. with a fire and dead short it can be any other part from a fan to the gpu that can be shorting out your new parts. your better off bench testing the new mb outsize of the case. also be care full the intel ivery bridge cpu on some older h61 wont work or post. some of the h61 need bios updates. for the newer intel cpu use a h71. check the mb cpu list see if the bios chips lable has the bios file needed for your rig to post.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 24, 2014 6:45:23 AM

smorizio said:
take the mb out of the case use one ram stick and no video card just the onboard video port and see if the mb will post. with a fire and dead short it can be any other part from a fan to the gpu that can be shorting out your new parts. your better off bench testing the new mb outsize of the case. also be care full the intel ivery bridge cpu on some older h61 wont work or post. some of the h61 need bios updates. for the newer intel cpu use a h71. check the mb cpu list see if the bios chips lable has the bios file needed for your rig to post.


How would I go about doing this? It uses a H61 chipset. I'm not exactly savvy in that area but if there was a simple way? Do I use a USB stick and plug it in and it will update?
m
0
l
May 24, 2014 6:47:56 AM

rohanr22 said:
Try removing the ram and see if your motherboard beeps, also make sure you have the internal speaker correctly connected. Go through this checklist just to make sure. Also, could you pin point what exactly burnt in your motherboard?


It was a small chip on the top right corner of the board (Assuming top left is the ports) where the RAM is located. I don't have a speaker so maybe I should find one to see if it's a fan failure or something similar. I've already ordered a new CPU off of Amazon and this will make it a whole new build so should work after that.
m
0
l
a c 85 à CPUs
a c 125 V Motherboard
May 24, 2014 7:06:57 AM

Quote:
Lastly, I was wondering wether, not putting a CPU cooler on or having a dodgy CPU cooler would prevent post?


NEVER attempt to start a computer without a CPU heat sink and fan (HSF)! If you are not using a properly installed HSF, this could be the source of all of your problems and it will most definitely prevent the system from posting.

Yogi
m
0
l
!