A 5670 in my cheap psu help will it handle

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
hi guys im wondering if i can handle the 5670hd gddr5 with my cheap 250w psu i calculated in xtreme psu calculator a 221w with a capacitor aging of 25% i can get a 350w psu from my other pc if it needs.
i have a pentium-2core e5200
2 sticks 2gb ddr2 ram
a regular sata and a cd lector
thanks in advance
i want a detailed answer thanks im still learning :)

Solution

Oh yes, definitely, but if yours is 6 years old and the one that came with the computer, I wouldn't risk it. Sure you can try it, and you'll probably be fine. In fact, if the PSU craps out and takes some other components with it, that gives you an excuse to get a much newer computer - which will be much better suited for games.

InvalidError

Titan
The real power draw on your PC should be closer to 150W but I would be more worried about the general quality of your 250/350W PSUs - there are not many decent-quality units below 400W and the few there are are priced on par with many similarly good or better 450-600W units.

As for "capacitor aging," this is a very rough adjustment at best: different PSUs use different output filtering arrangements, different component qualities, different PWM topologies, etc. that can all affect how quickly capacitors might age and how badly that aging might affect output quality.

InvalidError

Titan
If I had to re-use an old unknown-quality PSU, I would at least do a quick check-up on the caps and replace them with high-performance parts if they look worn, are from sub-standard brands or are low-spec models. Another option (for me) would be to slap MLCC (multi-layer chip capacitors) under electrolytic caps to spare them most high-frequency ripple current.

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

WHAT?! i dont understand nothing :( ://

InvalidError

Titan

Basically, I meant checking for things like these:
http://www.buildingeleanor.com/images/2009/SM_940mw_caps.jpg

Caps that are still (most likely) in good shape would have clean flat tops.

Replacing caps is a relatively simple process for people who are handy with soldering irons and know enough about electronics to choose the right caps... or at least ones that exceed the originals' specs.

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

but im not an electrnonyc i cant do it just tell me will it work on the 350w or the 250w psu or i just have to stay with a gefroce 210 ...

InvalidError

Titan

Well, you still have not told us what your PSU brands and models are or how old they are so we currently have nothing to base any recommendation on other than the nominal wattage.

Another potential issue if we are talking about ATX 1.x spec PSUs here, possibly pre-ATX12V since sub-300W ATX PSUs went nearly extinct after ATX12V was introduced, is they might have a hard time coping with more modern systems that put almost everything on the 12V rail since ATXv1.x was heavy on the 3.3V and 5V rails - particularly prior to ATX12V. (The extra 4/8-pin wire that goes from the PSU to an extra power connector on the motherboard, usually near the CPU's VRM.)

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

well you can see i said that i dont know the brands cuz its a "cheap" psu andi guess both psu have 2 4pin for cpu
the rest i didnt understood :( damn it

Oh yes, definitely, but if yours is 6 years old and the one that came with the computer, I wouldn't risk it. Sure you can try it, and you'll probably be fine. In fact, if the PSU craps out and takes some other components with it, that gives you an excuse to get a much newer computer - which will be much better suited for games.

Solution