FX 8320, or 6300

G

Trying to figure out which processor that I should buy, I do a lot of stuff within virtual machines, so I run about about 5-8 at once, depending on my work. I picked AMD over intel because of my needs, and AMD for what I use runs and works a lot better and works a lot faster for me than intel.. I currently have been using my main system/gaming system for work, but what I really would like to build myself a work only pc/guest pc. My current system has a socket 2011 chip, but intel really has been holding my work back. My Co-Worker runs an FX 8350 and they can switch between vms so much faster than me and the AMD optimized programs that we both use run so much smoother on theirs. But what processor should I get? the 6300 6 core, or the 8 core 8320. I can't do the just save your money to buy a better chip because my current build will be about $650. ('No build advice please') which I can manage to find the money for in about 2 weeks, so the fx 8350 is out of the question because I've been falling behind in my work because of my intel limitations for what I do.

Solution
G
Pretty much so far my builds total value will be around $700 but I already have the aftermarket cooler and fans.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Double Dissipation...
Get the 8320 . Its the same part as an 8350 just clocked a little slower , and you can reset that speed yourself if you wish .

Make sure you use a mb with a 970 or 990 series chipset . Some cheap mb's use the 760G chipset but was not originally designed for FX processors so its best avoided .
The cheap MSI 970 boards have a known overheating problem so avoiud those too.
The asrock 970PRO , or Extreme3 R2.0 are usually the best options

Its easy to hit your budget point and have the 8 core . This build is incomplete and is only an example .
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qm54

What is your current CPU?

There is probably something wrong with your system, because an Intel 2011 chip should blow away ANY amd CPU.

G

All that I really wanted to know was the difference really. Also if you read the entire post like you should, you will know why an AMD processor would work better than my current one. For the motherboard I already bought the gigabyte 970a board with the 8+2 power phase.

Yeah, I read your whole post.

Intel delivers better performance per thread, and especially with an LGA 2011 chip, an AMD CPU is slower than the Intel. A desktop (NOT server) LGA 2011 chip either has 8 or 12 threads, which is the the same to double of the FX-8320 or the FX-6300. Your current CPU will easily beat the AMD you are buying.

What CPU do you have? What is your motherboard and power supply? There has to be something slowing it down, because everything in your current Intel is better than AMD. LGA 2011 CPUs are the best CPUs in the world.

G

Nothing is slowing it down, I am a malware analysis and the company that I work for wrote a lot of the stuff that I run, and they optimized it for amd only, so an intel will still run it, but the program doesn't benefit from the little Indian x86 arc that the intel processors have. So the processor doesn't work as well as amd does in the select applications that I run frequently. Also I need an amd processor for to assign devices with VT-d in KVM

Okay. If it was specifically optimized for AMD, it will perform better. I would get the FX-8320 because you will want those extra cores for all the VMs and multitasking it sounds like you are doing. I would also get a good CPU cooler for it and overclock, so it can start to reach the single-thread performance of the FX-8350.

Sorry man, I should've just taken your word for it. You know a lot more than I do about your work and stuff :)

I would definitely use your Intel build for gaming and stuff at home, in those use cases it is a BEAST CPU.

Hope that helps!

Definitely run with the 8 core .

G

Yeah I already ordered it through amazon, Just need to order the ram and video card now. Probably going for the adata 16gig kit because when I do my work on this machine I use about 13 gigs of my 32 gigs of ram. Then I'm probably gonna buy a r9 270 for some of the stuff that I use that benefits from amd gpus

Yeah you are going to want 16GB.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $129.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-25 12:29 EDT-0400)

As for the video card, is this just going to be a work only computer? No gaming or intensive 3D artwork crap?

Hope this helps!

G

I didn't fully complete my post the first time but I'll probably will be ordering the r9 270 for some of the stuff that I use like oclhashcat etc

Good choice. The R9 270 is the best card available in it's price niche. What power supply are you going for?

G

Pretty much so far my builds total value will be around $700 but I already have the aftermarket cooler and fans.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $700.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-25 22:32 EDT-0400)

Solution

Great looking build. That's an excellent power supply and should be able to keep up well! I don't think you will be able to overclock with CPU cooler, at least not much. It's looks like you've chosen to put your money in the right places.

If you want to overclock, I would recommend a Noctua cooler or one of the water cooling systems.

G

I'm probably only going for a 4.2 or 4.4 overclock. The overclock on processors won't carry over to the vms, but it will benefit my system outside of the vms a bit, so I'm not really going to be pushing it very hard on the overclock at all. The corsair sp fans are also for the cooler master cooler, so they will probably help me a lot in push pull vs the crap fan that it comes with stock. I might be upgrading my nf-f12s that I use for my rad to the newer black/chocolate brown colored ones, so I'll probably swap those out when I get around to it.

Awesome! Well, it sounds like you are ready and know what you are doing!

Keep us updated if you need anymore help, and most of all, have fun!