FX-8320 Overclock on Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0

Solution

Well if you already have those parts, just get the Gigabyte + FX-8320 combo and you're good to go.
4 + 1 power phase is not meant for OCing 8-cores. As sourodip said, a little OC might work if you have good cooling, but monitor your temps (especially for the motherboard) carefully if you decide to do so.

Actually you would have to get past 4ghz and then u the 8320 would be a close match for the 8350.

The FX 8320 and 8350 are the same chip with different clocks; At 4GHz they're equal.

Skrillex24

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Well the motherboard has heat sinks on the VRM's so that's a plus. When I say OC, everyone thinks I want to OC a lot. I just want a .5ghz increase which isn't asking for to much because I can just leave the voltages alone. When you get to 4.2+ then you change voltages.

Skrillex24

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
What's another good board that I can OC the 8320 with and is under 80. Or is this fine to OC to 4ghz with? I'm only wanting 4ghz out of the 8320 I don't plan to go higher unless I get another mobo down the road.

Instability means your PC getting a BSOD due to too hot VRMs or insufficient CPU voltages. This can be tested by running Prime95 for a few hours.

I'm kind of conflicted on this... On the other hand OCing the CPU to those clocks shouldn't require changing the voltage, in which case it should be fine. On the other hand, every chip is different; Your CPU might not get to those speeds without additional voltage, making this a not-so-good idea.

Do you already have the motherboard? If you have it, just see what happens. If it works without any problems, no need for a better board. Just be careful with the overclock and temps and you won't put your hardware to risk.

If you don't have the motherboard yet, get the one I linked earlier; It's the best 970 board out there.

It would be a good one, but it too has only a 4+1 VRM design. The Gigabyte I linked has a 8+2 design, making it the best 970 board for OCing of any kind.

This is my first PC build. I don't have any parts yet. I just want a good PC to play some PC games...
Since you don't have the part yet, I recommend going with the Gigabyte I linked: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

You won't have any problems getting to 4GHz with it.