R9 290 CSGO/most games FPS low/stuttering

StrifE3

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Hey
I have a decent computer that 'should' run all games high quality but unfortunately that's not the case with my Rig.
With CSGO, i cant get at least 150 fps while standing with all settings low in 1920x1080 but when shooting starts, it can stutter sometimes and get as low as 56 fps and then goes straight up. I have a feeling that either my PSU or the CPU bottleneck may be the issue but i would like some confirmation from you lads.

Specs:
Intel I7-4770K 3.5GHz
Asrock H87 Performance Fatal1ty Motherboard
12 Gigs of Ram
R9 290
PSU 650 Watts

PS. I even tried playing Planetside 2 on high settings but in the first 10-15 mins my computer shuts down and restart.

Solution

I personally use DDU, but yeas a driver wipe isn't a bad idea. Just rememebr that you'll have to reinstall Mobo drivers as well if you try that. Its a must if you are switching from Nvidia without a fresh windows install.

Definately check...

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Shutting down and restarting can be a sign of a weak PSU if it give no blue screen or doesn't start right back up again. I'd say first things first Install Driver 14.4 latest for the card. That computer should be a beast. To give you an idea, I run 100-200fps in CS:GO all settings maxed with an 8350/r9 290. Here, install this driver:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64#amd-catalyst-packages
the Catalyst Control Suite, the first driver. It is stable, the beta is not.

Plenty of possible causes here.
Exactly what power supply is installed?
If you upgraded from an earlier Nvidia card it's a good idea to run something like Driverfusion or a similar driver cleaning software to make sure all the old driver components are removed.
Reinstalling the AMD drivers may also help, but only use the latest WHQL certified software downloaded only from the AMD site.
Check the CPU and GPU temperatures, unexpected shutdowns or slowdowns are also indicative of overheating.

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I personally use DDU, but yeas a driver wipe isn't a bad idea. Just rememebr that you'll have to reinstall Mobo drivers as well if you try that. Its a must if you are switching from Nvidia without a fresh windows install.

Definately check temperatures, especially if you have a reference 290 or the stock cooler on the 4770k. They are hot little cpu's, and being in the same case as a 290, reference or non reference, can easily build up heat over a short amount of time. I know a friend who Overheated. In BF4, he dropped from 80fps to 22fpa, then his PC would shut down. He also has a cheap brand 650w, and his r9 290 shuts down on him all the time with his 8350/r9 290.

1. check temps
2. Drivers
3. if 1+2 are okay, check out that power supply.

Solution

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

What was the solution then?