Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

need help in building gaming rig please

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 25, 2014 6:40:12 PM

hello guys,

im trying to build a low budget gaming rig. so i chose the parts here on these 2 websites. lets just say USD and MYR is 1:3.

http://images-cdn.lowyat.net/pricelists/PCHardware/All-...
http://www.idealtech.com.my/DOWNLOAD/IDEALTECH-PRICELIS...

CPU: AMD FX6300
MOBO: ASRock 990x Extreme3
GPU: Sapphire R7 260X 2GB DDR5
STORAGE: WD 500GB Caviar 5400RPM
MEMORY: HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 / Aegis 8GB DDR3 *which one is better?*
PSU: Cooler Master GX II 550W
ODD: Asus Lite-On 24x DVDRW
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 101
COOLING FANS: Cooler Master Sickle Flow X
CHASSIS: Armageddon TOXO T300

so approximate cost in USD might be $714. i have a bit no clue about cpu cooler and cooling fans. is it okay if i choose the cheap one like those?


Additional info: i would love if wolfenstein; new order, watch dogs and titanfall could go around 40fps with medium setting on this rig. can it do that?

Thanks for your help!

More about : building gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
May 25, 2014 7:11:57 PM

Do you plan to OC or have dual GPUs?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...
The 970 Extreme 3 and the 990FX are pretty similar, just a newer chipset, since you would be doing Crossfire if anything, the 970 should be good enough.

Should probably get the 1TB version of your HDD to since it's only 20 more.

Even though I don't like the PSU, I guess you don't have much choice :/  . If you have anything to spare after, I'd upgrade to the seasonic 550w.

I'd just go with HyperX ram.
m
0
l
May 25, 2014 7:31:26 PM

jaraldo said:
Do you plan to OC or have dual GPUs?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...
The 970 Extreme 3 and the 990FX are pretty similar, just a newer chipset, since you would be doing Crossfire if anything, the 970 should be good enough.

Should probably get the 1TB version of your HDD to since it's only 20 more.

Even though I don't like the PSU, I guess you don't have much choice :/  . If you have anything to spare after, I'd upgrade to the seasonic 550w.

I'd just go with HyperX ram.


i planned on doing crossfire. so 970 extreme is enough? i agree with bout the hdd since i could cut the cost on the MoBo.

so everything else is okay? can go 40fps or higher playing latest games using medium setting?
m
0
l
Related resources
May 25, 2014 8:23:56 PM

jaraldo said:
40 fps might be asking too much :\ . You could down your 6300 to something else. Trying to futureproof your build while trying to make it play the latest games in those settings is hard. Add on that parts in your country cost more :( 

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/ba...
http://wccftech.com/watch-dogs-pc-version-confirmed-run...
http://techreport.com/review/25473/amd-radeon-r7-260x-g...



yeahh the parts cost more here.. so it's dificult to follow any $700 budget rigt guide on this forum.

so i need to upgrade the cpu to amd fx8320?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 25, 2014 8:33:53 PM

No, you'd need like an r9 270 or close to it. What I meant was you would have to down grade your CPU to an athlon in order to have the $ for a better GPU. I'm not sure if that'd start to bottleneck though. See how much extra $ you have left if you get the athlon x4 760k and the r9 270 instead

Edit: you could try keeping the 6300 but only get 4gb of ram for now. Will the saving from 4gb of ram and the other mobo be enough for the r9 270?

Watch dogs (r9 270 is better than the 7850)
Quote:

Recommended Specs Are:

- DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM (e.g. NVidia GTX 560 ti, AMD Radeon HD 7850)
- Four core Intel or Eight core AMD (e.g. Intel Core i7-3770, AMD FX-8350)
- 8gb RAM


You are kind of stuck because you can't cheap out on the mobo with the 6300 or things might start to throttle. You can't cheap out on the CPU because you might not be able to play it. But you need a better GPU for 40 FPS... and 8gb ram... :S

Unless you have a spare HDD/Case you can use, I would wait and save up 200-300 MYR more
m
0
l
May 25, 2014 9:13:20 PM

okayy my current amd fx6300 cost MYR459. how bout Core i3-4130 - MYR360. asus r9 270 DCII TOP cost MYR719. i think it's still in my budget range. just in case i dint need to change the MoBo too. wont it bottleneck?

Edit: I just read ur edit. so im gonna start a few math right now
m
0
l
May 25, 2014 9:19:09 PM

okay gonna need to make a few math right now
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 25, 2014 9:31:01 PM

The easier possibility is to play them on 720p instead of 1080. But let's see the math first.
m
0
l
May 25, 2014 9:48:59 PM

okay here's what i got now.

AMD FX6300 - MYR459
ASROCK 970 EXTREME3 - MYR279
HYPERX FURY 4GB DDR3 - MYR149 *
WD 1TB CAVIAR - MYR185
ASUS R9 270 DCII OC - MYR719
COOLER MASTER HYPER 101 - MYR55
COOLER MASTER SICKLE FLOW X - MYR25 *kinda confuse with this one. does it need to come with multiple like 2 or 3?*
COOLER MASTER GXII 550W - MYR255
ASUS LITE-ON 24X DVDRW - MYR59 *on second thought maybe i dont need this*
ARMAGEDDON TOXO T300 - MYR99

overall cost is MYR2310. wait u said this build is for 1080p?? i think 1600x900 is enough for me.

phewwwh.. math is checkmate..
m
0
l
May 25, 2014 9:50:49 PM

ahh forgot. hyperx fury 8gb for the ram. same overall
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 5:33:08 AM

If it's only 1600x900 it will certainly help raise your FPS.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2143673/watchdog...

I think your build should be able to do medium/high settings in most games.

Also, the CD/DVD drive maybe not be a bad idea. I thought I could get away without one on my first budget build and just download drivers off the internet. But, because I couldn't update my drivers...I couldn't even get on the internet lol. So had to borrow a friend's CD drive to install the drivers from discs.

I was trying to keep close to your budget because it seems like you were picking the lowest parts possible :)  I wasn't sure if you could go over your budget at all.
I'm not sure what you mean with the COOLER MASTER SICKLE FLOW X, it is just one fan (as far as I can tell) but comes in different colors.
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 5:58:38 AM

yeahh being almost 2 years playing COD and dota2 on 13" pentium dual core laptop with 1366x768 res, slight 30fps maintain, i think 1600x900 and medium setting is grateful enough for me, for now of course..

this is a baby step. in a few years im gonna upgrade parts by parts. thats why the budget is very low. plus, im still in college. so money is quite far from my reach.

so that build is good enough? i wanna finalize my decision.

one more thing i didnt sure of. is it cpu cooler which cost like USD10-15 reliable enough? no knowledge at all about these cpu and pc coolin thingy :p 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 6:04:44 AM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...

Seems like it will do a good job for you :) 

You might want to put your list through here
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

It show potential compatibility problems with the build if there is any. As far as I can tell it looks good though! Enjoy it ^^
Share
May 26, 2014 6:31:53 AM

jaraldo said:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...

Seems like it will do a good job for you :) 

You might want to put your list through here
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

It show potential compatibility problems with the build if there is any. As far as I can tell it looks good though! Enjoy it ^^


^^ thanks!

i put the all the parts there is a note said that amd 970 chipset mobo might need some BIOS upgrade. will it be a problem?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:15:21 AM

Here's some info on it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1942009/asrock-9...
https://teksyndicate.com/forum/build-pc/fx-6300-and-asr...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1942009/asrock-9...

If you aren't sure on that board, the next cheapest one and also is very good; the M5A97 R2.0 for 80 MYR more.

I usually see how other people experienced the boards by going to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then go down to Reviews and use the search bar to check for issues. Type in "update" or "bios" or "6300" and see what comes up for each board.

Most boards will have some potential issue; this doesn't mean anything will happen or cause problems though.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...

Both of these boards shouldn't be overclocked at all, or at least very little. They both may need a bios update and the only difference is that you can get 6 phase count with the Asus board or 5 with the Asrock. If you have 80 MYR for the extra VRM then go for it, if not, nothing bad should happen :) 

Worst case would be you go to the manufacturer website and download the new bios.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

I have never flashed(reset) a bios before so you would have to do some research on it.
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 6:43:02 PM

okay thanks again !
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 10:56:50 AM

jaraldo said:
Here's some info on it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1942009/asrock-9...
https://teksyndicate.com/forum/build-pc/fx-6300-and-asr...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1942009/asrock-9...

If you aren't sure on that board, the next cheapest one and also is very good; the M5A97 R2.0 for 80 MYR more.

I usually see how other people experienced the boards by going to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then go down to Reviews and use the search bar to check for issues. Type in "update" or "bios" or "6300" and see what comes up for each board.

Most boards will have some potential issue; this doesn't mean anything will happen or cause problems though.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...

Both of these boards shouldn't be overclocked at all, or at least very little. They both may need a bios update and the only difference is that you can get 6 phase count with the Asus board or 5 with the Asrock. If you have 80 MYR for the extra VRM then go for it, if not, nothing bad should happen :) 

Worst case would be you go to the manufacturer website and download the new bios.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

I have never flashed(reset) a bios before so you would have to do some research on it.


hey jaraldo! good news. this is the message from Ideal Tech, the company who provide the pc components.

"CPU: AMD FX6300 RM450
MOBO: ASrock 970 Extreme3 RM275
RAM: GSKill AEGIS 8GBD DR3 1600mhz RM239
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD RM189
Chasis: Bitfenix NEOS black window RM169 (full black)
ODD: Liteon 24x Sata DVDRW RM59
PSU: Silverstone ST50F-ES230 RM169
GPU: Sapphire R9 270 Dual X 2GB DR5 RM680
Cooler: Scythe Katana 4 RM80
LCD: Samsung 20" S20C300BL/BY RM335
Total RM2573

*For Gaming Rig Above RM2500
FOC:
1x 12cm Fan or FREE SHIPPING

PLEASE READ:

We will:
1. Assembly
2. Cable Management (like what you can see from the facebook page)
3. Overclock to Max (if K series processor)
4. Install Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit without activated
5. Stress Test the Rig for 12-24 hours
6. Flash the Latest motherboard BIOS and install the drivers
6. Confirm everything ready before pickup / deliver.

Do you know how is the warranty work ?
Refer http://www.idealtech.com.my (how to claim warranty & Our Differences)"

the total price is significantly lower than the one i counted before. plus a nice 1600x900 res monitor. but there is few different part like RAM. they dont have hyperx. so i guess i'll upgrade to hyperx next time.

a big thanx to you providing me the advice to accomplish my dream. haha.

May God bless you, sir :) 

Ideal Tech FB Page : https://www.facebook.com/IDEALTECHOLOGY
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 11:31:21 AM

That is good they do all that stuff for you!

I can only speak from my own warranty experience, you will need to keep all the receipts, manuals, papers, maybe packaging to and even boxes :/  . They are really strict when it comes to returns/warranty. That is just my experience in North America. You hear some really stupid stories like someone didn't have the original box after a year so they were denied warranty. So it's more just a safety precaution since I'm not sure how their warranty would work.

One thing I'm not sure about though
4. Install Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit without activated

Do they provide an activation code?
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 11:48:15 AM

ahahaha.. they dont charge the os at all, thats why. maybe its up to me whether to crack it or upgrade to windows 8. tho its quite pricey :/ 
m
0
l
!