i5 4440 cpu cooler any good?

demzo

Reputable
May 13, 2014
planning to get an i5 4440 and a gtx 760 for some light gaming, nothing too hardcore since I do not have the luxury of a big budget. I have a few questions, is the stock cooler any good? I wont OC obviously because the cpu is locked. I live in the philippines and the avg temps in my room are about 34-36 deg celsius, and i've had my laptop shut down on me several times due to overheating (note this is an ASUS G73J gaming laptop and airflow is great. for a laptop that is) would the stock cooler on the i5 4440 suffice or should I get a CM Hyper 212X?

oh and, If you do recommend that I get an aftermarket CPU cooler, is the hyper 212X overkill? should I get a cheaper but still efficient cpu cooler?

Solution
I use the stock fan on my 4670K (haven't overclocked yet) and it is fine. Idol at 35-37C, but my ambients are also a lot better than yours (I'm in Canada). Given that it's +10c more where you live, you might want an aftermarket cooler for that alone.

8bitpwnage

Reputable
May 17, 2014

Intel box coolers suck at cooling even if the CPU is running stock.Changing it to an aftermarket one is a must.

damiem

Reputable
May 26, 2014
The stock cooler for the CPU should be fine, if you plan on OC it, then you will need better air flow. If you are able to afford a CM hyper fan, it will not be a bad idea. I would recommend it. I would look into buying a more affordable and efficient fan for your CPU.

8bitpwnage

Reputable
May 17, 2014

His CPU is not a K-series processor so no OC'ing for now.

I use the stock fan on my 4670K (haven't overclocked yet) and it is fine. Idol at 35-37C, but my ambients are also a lot better than yours (I'm in Canada). Given that it's +10c more where you live, you might want an aftermarket cooler for that alone.

Solution