Solved

RAID 1, 5, Or 10 For Home Server PC?

Hi,

I'm planning to build a home server pc. I will install FreeNas on a flash drive attached to the system.

The main question i will have four storage drives installed in the machine. Which RAID option will best suit this build. Should I sacrifice half of the storage capacity by going with RAID 1 or 10. Or should I gain sacrifice one quarter of the storage space by going with RAID 5. Or should i just go for full capacity with RAID 0, sacrificing data reliability.

Please post your opinions in the comments section below.

Thanks.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid home server
  1. What is your size of each hard drive?
  2. if you don't need the speed but need space and still want redundancy, I would go with the RAID5
  3. pigsinspace72 said:
    What is your size of each hard drive?


    2TB Each.
  4. Emerald said:
    if you don't need the speed but need space and still want redundancy, I would go with the RAID5


    So RAID 5 for a 8TB file server means that only 6TB will be available. This is better than having raid 1 or 10 where only 4TB is available. Thanks for the answer.
  5. What usage will you use this home server pc for? Will space be critical or performance be the best?
  6. pigsinspace72 said:
    What usage will you use this home server pc for? Will space be critical or performance be the best?


    Space is the greater factor in this situation.
  7. What are you backing it up to? You have a NAS offsite or something similar?
  8. So your options are having RAID 0 or RAID 5, how important will the data be stored on here be?
  9. And my personal opinion: No. Do not RAID it.
    Tyr0d asked about your backups, and that's a key point. No RAID level is a substitute for external backups.

    RAID 0 is not really RAID, it's more like AID. No Redundancy. It can make things faster, but is risky. And your disks may already be able to saturate your network adapter. No RAID 0.

    As for other RAID levels, they all guarantee that your server will stay up and functioning if one drive fails with no loss of data. If seven-nines uptime is important to you, go for it. Personally, I'd just replace a failed drive and restore a backup. It saves a lot of fussy work, and the drives can be moved to any other machine and read if the network server fails. RAIDed drives tend to be tied to the machine, or at least controller type, on which they were set up. There is not a standard across vendors, or even hardware generations within the same vendor.
  10. WyomingKnott said:
    And my personal opinion: No. Do not RAID it.
    Tyr0d asked about your backups, and that's a key point. No RAID level is a substitute for external backups.

    RAID 0 is not really RAID, it's more like AID. No Redundancy. It can make things faster, but is risky. And your disks may already be able to saturate your network adapter. No RAID 0.

    As for other RAID levels, they all guarantee that your server will stay up and functioning if one drive fails with no loss of data. If seven-nines uptime is important to you, go for it. Personally, I'd just replace a failed drive and restore a backup. It saves a lot of fussy work, and the drives can be moved to any other machine and read if the network server fails. RAIDed drives tend to be tied to the machine, or at least controller type, on which they were set up. There is not a standard across vendors, or even hardware generations within the same vendor.



    I wanted to store some documents and music as well as backups of all of my computers. This is why I considered doing a RAID array. Is it still worth-while? Or should i just dedicate one of my drives as a backup drive?
  11. pigsinspace72 said:
    So your options are having RAID 0 or RAID 5, how important will the data be stored on here be?


    Not very important, just a few light documents and some music.
  12. Best answer
    Backup should be done to an external drive. That way, if the whole thing gets wet or banged on the wall by a six-year-old (true story as far as I know) you still have your data.

    RAID is fun to play with, and can seriously improve the percentage of time that a device is available. If you don't have a major need for nearly-perfect uptime, IMHO the only reason to use RAID is to play with it. Which I did, quite a lot.
  13. WyomingKnott said:
    Backup should be done to an external drive. That way, if the whole thing gets wet or banged on the wall by a six-year-old (true story as far as I know) you still have your data.

    RAID is fun to play with, and can seriously improve the percentage of time that a device is available. If you don't have a major need for nearly-perfect uptime, IMHO the only reason to use RAID is to play with it. Which I did, quite a lot.


    Ok thanks for your help. I will think about it, but I appreciate the time you have spent helping me out. I rated your answer the best.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage Build Systems Servers