Will an i5 4440 boot with all H87/B81 motherboards?

Artigas

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Looking at many compatibility lists for different motherboards, like the ASUS B85M-G or H87M-E, they list the 4440 as "Compatible from a certain BIOS version."
Does that mean that
1) You have to boot them with an older LGA1150 CPU (and buy one just for this purpose!), update their BIOS, and then exchange the CPU for the newer one (in my case, an i5 4440), or in other words, the motherboard won't boot with the 4440, or
2) It's just some instructions/functions of the CPU that won't work, but you are able to boot to update the BIOS without problems?

This really has me puzzled. I don't have the spare money to buy another CPU just to throw it away after updating the BIOS.

Solution
When the motherboard was manufactured, the i5 you desire to install may have not been released. Therefore they are supported with a BIOS update. When purchasing a motherboard, the BIOS may have already been updated by a few revisions; it may not always be on the latest version however. So you may be able to install the i5, as it may be already updated; usually they are.

In certain circumstances, a newer CPU may not even boot from the motherboard unless the BIOS is updated. However in other scenarios, it may boot as it is similar to an elder CPU which is supported.

In your case I can't guarantee anything, but the ASUS B85M-G released with BIOS version 0306 and supports the i5-4430. The i5-4440 is almost identical in every feature, so...

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
When the motherboard was manufactured, the i5 you desire to install may have not been released. Therefore they are supported with a BIOS update. When purchasing a motherboard, the BIOS may have already been updated by a few revisions; it may not always be on the latest version however. So you may be able to install the i5, as it may be already updated; usually they are.

In certain circumstances, a newer CPU may not even boot from the motherboard unless the BIOS is updated. However in other scenarios, it may boot as it is similar to an elder CPU which is supported.

In your case I can't guarantee anything, but the ASUS B85M-G released with BIOS version 0306 and supports the i5-4430. The i5-4440 is almost identical in every feature, so it could possibly still boot; but no one can guarantee it. With that said however, some BIOS manufacturers only allow booting from a CPU which is recognised; so anything not on their "whitelist" may not boot.

No guarantee's can be made, but usually a motherboard is not shipped with the first BIOS version. If you want to ensure your CPU will work without updating your BIOS, you could get a H97 or Z97 motherboard. The H97/Z97 will be compatible with Broadwell and Devil's Canyon; and by release/default support most of the existing CPU's.

If you do purchase a H87/B81, and the BIOS version does not support your CPU, then you will need to update it. In that scenario, you may need to purchase/borrow a supported CPU to update the BIOS. You could always go down to your local computer shop and see if they can assist or update it for you. Finding a compatible CPU would be the easiest and best way to go about it.

All the best. :)

Solution

Artigas

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Thank you for your comprehensive answer.
As you say, the 4440 is a newer CPU, and was released long after these motherboards.
I now understand it's a case of "it depends on the manufaturer and model."
When I go to the store I will ask them to check the revision number on the board before I bring it home. They have already confirmed I can return the product in case the processor doesn't work with the motherboard (as even themselves have not tested this combination), but I will feel more comfortable if I see a newer revision number before leaving the store.
Thank you again.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
No problem at all, it was my pleasure. The retailer allowing you to return the motherboard if the CPU doesn't work sounds great, providing you the opportunity to test it out. Usually in most cases, you shouldn't have a problem with compatibility.

I hope your build works out for you, and all the best! :)