Solved

Need help in shrinking drive without losing data or formatting

Hello,

I recently bought GT70 Dominator laptop (without SSD, low on budget) and the thing is, it has 1 TB HDD but it's not partitioned at all. I mean, there's 916GB C drive with windows on it.

Is there a way to make other partitions without formatting the windows? I'd hate to have need to buy new windows because of this...

Thanks in advance!

Have a good day.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shrinking drive losing data formatting
  1. New or used laptop?
    What OS? 7, 8, other?
    Why partitions?
  2. USAFRet said:
    New or used laptop?
    What OS? 7, 8, other?
    Why partitions?


    New laptop just arrived bought it on XoticPC.

    Windows 8.1 64 bit.

    Why partitions? I'm not quite sure what to answer. On my desktop I always have 100 GB Partition for Windows and others for games/music/photos so that if something happens aka if I need to re-install windows I won't have to format all my data.
  3. Best answer
    Video Tutorial

    Partition Hard Disk Without Formatting Losing Datain Windows 8- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUt5GdZwBA&fulldescription=1&client=mv-google&gl=IN&guid=&hl=en
  4. Ravi Gagan said:
    Video Tutorial

    Partition Hard Disk Without Formatting Losing Datain Windows 8- http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUt5GdZwBA&fulldescription=1&client=mv-google&gl=IN&guid=&hl=en


    Hey, I tried shrinking and successfully did that BUT there is this problem, it only allows me to shrink my C volume up to its half size which means I'll still have about 400 GB partition allocated to my windows C: drive.

    Is there a way to make it shrink even more? lets say up to 100 GB?

    Thank you very much for the video response.
  5. The size of the available shrink spacecan be restricted by the amount of space currently allocated to on the hard drive for the virtual memory page file, System Protection maximum storage space size, and hibernation files. The location of the files on the hard drive plays a big part here because these files are marked as unmovable, and Disk Management is unable to relocate them. As such, if these unmovable files are located in the middle of thetotal amount of free space on the disk, then only the amount of free space on the other side (to the right) of these files will actually be available for the new partition. This will result in you showing that you have x amount of free space, but notbeing able to use it for your partition
  6. Ravi Gagan said:
    The size of the available shrink spacecan be restricted by the amount of space currently allocated to on the hard drive for the virtual memory page file, System Protection maximum storage space size, and hibernation files. The location of the files on the hard drive plays a big part here because these files are marked as unmovable, and Disk Management is unable to relocate them. As such, if these unmovable files are located in the middle of thetotal amount of free space on the disk, then only the amount of free space on the other side (to the right) of these files will actually be available for the new partition. This will result in you showing that you have x amount of free space, but notbeing able to use it for your partition


    Can I turn off Page files, Windows system restore point files and Hibernation files and then turn them on after shrinking?

    Edit: Never mind a little bit of research did the trick, I disabled those 3 and shrank my partition as much as I needed and then enabled them again. Thank you very much for your help!

    Have a good day!

    For those who find this forum post with similar problem here's the solution I'll quote the person who commented on that forum I saw instructions on:

    "The problem that you are seeing is a result of unmovable files. The following files will inhibit the shrinking of the C partition:

    1. Page file (virtual memory)
    2. Windows system restore point files
    3. Hibernation file

    The Windows system restore point files can be eliminated by turning of restore point protection for the C drive. Right mouse click on my Computer --> properties then system protection.

    The hibernation file can eliminated by turning off sleep mode hibernation in the Control Panel --> Power Options --> Advanced settings.

    The page file can been eliminated by right mouse clicking on my Computer, properties --> Advanced-->Performance-->Advanced the click on the change button. Unchecked allowing Windows to manage the page file then select no page file.

    Reboot your PC and shrink the C partition. Then go back and turn on paging, restore points for the C partition and hibernation. Now reboot again."
  7. LizardProtection said:


    Can I turn off Page files, Windows system restore point files and Hibernation files and then turn them on after shrinking?


    Yes. And if you have an SSD, just turn off hibernation completely.
    If you have sufficient RAM, reduce your page file to very small. I have mine set to 1GB, and have seen zero issues.
  8. Thank you both for your help!

    Much appreciated!


    Have a very successful and good day!
  9. LizardProtection said:
    Ravi Gagan said:
    The size of the available shrink spacecan be restricted by the amount of space currently allocated to on the hard drive for the virtual memory page file, System Protection maximum storage space size, and hibernation files. The location of the files on the hard drive plays a big part here because these files are marked as unmovable, and Disk Management is unable to relocate them. As such, if these unmovable files are located in the middle of thetotal amount of free space on the disk, then only the amount of free space on the other side (to the right) of these files will actually be available for the new partition. This will result in you showing that you have x amount of free space, but notbeing able to use it for your partition


    Can I turn off Page files, Windows system restore point files and Hibernation files and then turn them on after shrinking?

    Edit: Never mind a little bit of research did the trick, I disabled those 3 and shrank my partition as much as I needed and then enabled them again. Thank you very much for your help!

    Have a good day!

    For those who find this forum post with similar problem here's the solution I'll quote the person who commented on that forum I saw instructions on:

    "The problem that you are seeing is a result of unmovable files. The following files will inhibit the shrinking of the C partition:

    1. Page file (virtual memory)
    2. Windows system restore point files
    3. Hibernation file

    The Windows system restore point files can be eliminated by turning of restore point protection for the C drive. Right mouse click on my Computer --> properties then system protection.

    The hibernation file can eliminated by turning off sleep mode hibernation in the Control Panel --> Power Options --> Advanced settings.

    The page file can been eliminated by right mouse clicking on my Computer, properties --> Advanced-->Performance-->Advanced the click on the change button. Unchecked allowing Windows to manage the page file then select no page file.

    Reboot your PC and shrink the C partition. Then go back and turn on paging, restore points for the C partition and hibernation. Now reboot again."


    See this http://www.techwhiz.in/solution-to-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problem/
Ask a new question

Read More

Formatting Storage Windows 8