Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time building gaming computer under 600$

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Computers
  • Video Editing
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 26, 2014 10:55:54 PM

What you guys think, or is there something better for gaming? I'm planning on hooking this up to a 70" tv and possibly using it for rendering videos and playing random games on high settings. I really don't know much about motherboards but if it helps you guys i really don't care for the other outputs other than HDMI honestly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RHW3

More about : time building gaming computer 600

a c 241 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:04:36 PM

It really hasn't got enough grunt for serious video editing. Or playing games at high settings.

Watch Dogs - http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4546&ga... - just to give you a jolt. Not that we believe everything we read. But that's where games seem to be heading.

TV's don't work real well - crap response times

Google 'Tom's $600 build' and see if you see anything you like.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:05:46 PM

This has a better everything

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($57.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $599.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 02:04 EDT-0400)


or


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($57.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $604.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 02:07 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:07:26 PM

Looks like a good budget build. That mobo is fine btw. gigabyte makes excellent boards.

Id get a cheaper case and hdd and get a better GPU though..
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 11:32:59 PM

i7Baby said:
It really hasn't got enough grunt for serious video editing. Or playing games at high settings.

Watch Dogs - http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4546&ga... - just to give you a jolt. Not that we believe everything we read. But that's where games seem to be heading.

TV's don't work real well - crap response times

Google 'Tom's $600 build' and see if you see anything you like.

I have an xbox one a lot of the big games I'll be playing it on that. I'm new to video editing and right now I have th first surface pro addition which specs are a lot lower than the build I made and I've been video editing on this one so I don't know if this build would make a difference.
CTurbo said:
This has a better everything

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJwS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($57.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $599.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 02:04 EDT-0400)


or


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RJAa/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($57.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $604.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 02:07 EDT-0400)

I really like your builds but why only 4gb ram memory on your first one?
MalakiArtook said:
Looks like a good budget build. That mobo is fine btw. gigabyte makes excellent boards.

Id get a cheaper case and hdd and get a better GPU though..

Do you know which GPU would be better?
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:33:46 PM

The 280 is better than the 270x
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 11:37:57 PM

CTurbo said:
The 280 is better than the 270x


I understand that part but why only 4gb and not 8gb like your second build?
m
0
l
a c 241 4 Gaming
May 26, 2014 11:54:04 PM

" I'm new to video editing and right now I have the first surface pro addition which specs are a lot lower than the build I made and I've been video editing on this one so I don't know if this build would make a difference."

I do video editing on my pc - X79, 6 core i7, 16GB 2133 ram
m
0
l
May 26, 2014 11:57:11 PM

i7Baby said:
" I'm new to video editing and right now I have the first surface pro addition which specs are a lot lower than the build I made and I've been video editing on this one so I don't know if this build would make a difference."

I do video editing on my pc - X79, 6 core i7, 16GB 2133 ram


Dude that's nuts, everything must run smooth for you.
m
0
l
a c 241 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 12:05:25 AM

Mines a mid-level pc for video editing. Games are easy though.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 12:46:26 AM

You can overclock the R9 270X to reach R9 280 level easily but you can also overclock R9 280 to around R9 280X level. I'd go with the R9 280 if you could afford it.

Your CPU is letting you down a little and the PSU is budget level and not the best, but it should be fine. You should upgrade those two parts soon though, if you choose to buy them.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 12:49:52 AM

Icaraeus said:
You can overclock the R9 270X to reach R9 280 level easily but you can also overclock R9 280 to around R9 280X level. I'd go with the R9 280 if you could afford it.


I don't know anything about overclocking.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 12:52:27 AM

Even if you choose not to overclock, which is basically pushing your parts beyond stock speeds so that it runs faster, the R9 280 is better as it's faster and has 1 GB more VRAM. Currently basically all games use up to/less than 2GB VRAM, with the exception of Watch Dogs. Games will demand more and more as time goes on so if you want your GPU to last more than 2 years get the R9 280.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 12:54:15 AM

Icaraeus said:
You can overclock the R9 270X to reach R9 280 level easily but you can also overclock R9 280 to around R9 280X level. I'd go with the R9 280 if you could afford it.

Your CPU is letting you down a little and the PSU is budget level and not the best, but it should be fine. You should upgrade those two parts soon though, if you choose to buy them.


The reason I use this CPU over others is because it's benchmark is similar to intel core i5 processor only slight less less powerful but around 90 dollars cheaper. I just want to know as my first time building my own computer if this is worth it rather than just buying one already pre-built at walmart, like this one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberpowerPC-Black-Gamer-Ultr...
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 12:59:57 AM

Corsair Builder PSU's aren't too good a quality. They're alright for very cheap PCs, but you could do better. Corsair HX/AX/TX, Seasonic and Antec PSUs are the best PSUs you can buy and will last a very long time. You can't just rely on benchmarks. Intel CPUs have 2x better per-core performance when comparing to AMD CPUs (where you should get an 8 core CPU if you choose AMD). As a result, Intel i5 CPUs generally wipe the floor with AMD quad-core CPUs.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 1:16:12 AM

Icaraeus said:
Corsair Builder PSU's aren't too good a quality. They're alright for very cheap PCs, but you could do better. Corsair HX/AX/TX, Seasonic and Antec PSUs are the best PSUs you can buy and will last a very long time. You can't just rely on benchmarks. Intel CPUs have 2x better per-core performance when comparing to AMD CPUs (where you should get an 8 core CPU if you choose AMD). As a result, Intel i5 CPUs generally wipe the floor with AMD quad-core CPUs.


I'm trying to stay under the 600 dollar range 499-599.. if I follow what you say I might end up with this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RLI0
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 7:54:29 AM

Almost 100 dollars cheaper... I think I might end up with this... the SSD is so that I can boot up faster then the 1TB is for other stuff.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RSYP
Opinions, critics?...
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 8:39:08 AM

Sorry I like my two builds the best still. There is NO way I would get the A8, and the FX6300 is old and outdated now IMO.


Quote:
I understand that part but why only 4gb and not 8gb like your second build?



I sacrificed some RAM in order to fit in an i5. You could always add more RAM later when you got more money.




That 32GB ssd is not going to be very helpful to you, and you can get better video cards for the same price as that 7770.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 9:52:57 AM

I'm trying to get around 20-40 dollars cheaper than your build as good as it is. And why would SSD isn't much use?
m
0
l
a c 241 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 4:24:35 PM

That's probably as good as you'll get for $500. If you can afford it, get a 990FX chipset motherboard though.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 6:53:43 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to get around 20-40 dollars cheaper than your build as good as it is. And why would SSD isn't much use?



Ah you should have said that. A 32GB ssd is too small for any use other than as a caching drive. You need 64GB at the very minimum for windows and really 120GB is recommended.

Give me sec and I'll see about making it about $20 cheaper
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 6:59:12 PM

I recommend the i3 4130 or better over the FX6300 because it will perform better in most games and it offers a far better upgrade path. The Entire FX lineup is outdated now, and I can no longer recommend any of them.


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jCcXnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jCcXnQ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jCcXnQ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.33 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ B&H)
Total: $583.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 21:56 EDT-0400)



and if you need it even cheaper, even this would be a lot better than a FX6300 + HD7770

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g2LZFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g2LZFT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g2LZFT/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.33 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.43 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $468.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 22:01 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 261 4 Gaming
May 27, 2014 7:18:04 PM

If you want a compromise between editing and gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.03 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $553.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 22:16 EDT-0400)

m
0
l
!