Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dual monitor help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 27, 2014 4:59:11 AM

Just bought 2 benq GL2460 HM monitors to use on my pc running with a amd 7850 gpu. What cables do I need to connect them with?

More about : dual monitor

Best solution

a c 123 À AMD
a c 90 C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:01:22 AM

use mini Display Port to DVI/HDMI cable, that would be your best option, as the 7850 has two Mini DP outputs.
Share
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:11:41 AM

unknownofprob said:
use mini Display Port to DVI/HDMI cable, that would be your best option, as the 7850 has two Mini DP outputs.

The actual output configuration varies from board manufacturer to board manufacturer and sometimes even between models from the same manufacturer. OP did not specify his card model at all.

In any case, any combination of cables will work. I have done dual-display with 2xVGA, DVI+VGA, 2xDVI, DVI+HDMI, DVI+DP and I am currently using DP+HDMI.

You just need two of whatever both the displays and GPU support without running out of whatever ports the GPU can provide.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 123 À AMD
a c 90 C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:12:11 AM

I do realize that, most of which have that. (If not specified GPU, I am always going to refer to the reference AMD GPU)
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 5:22:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I already have one mini display port to hdmi cable do I need to go buy another or can I use a hdmi cable for the other monitor? And the make is VTX
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:26:06 AM

mrtom5451 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I already have one mini display port to hdmi cable do I need to go buy another or can I use a hdmi cable for the other monitor? And the make is VTX

You can use any mix of whatever is supported at both ends... or whatever mix you can get adapters for if you ran out of directly matching ports.

I pick whatever mix minimizes the use of adapters since adapters are just one more thing that can fail.
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 90 C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:26:14 AM

you can mix any of the outputs/inputs (DVI D-I/HDMI/MDP/DP) and it'll all work, if you somehow have a VGA output (this one only), you'll be decreasing video quality.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:33:15 AM

BenQ's specs says those monitors only support VGA and DVI so you would need a pair of whatever-to-DVI cables.

The images I could find for VTX-branded 7850 cards seem to show dual DVI outputs on them so the ideal setup would be a pair of plain DVI cables.
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 90 C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:40:08 AM

yes, that is your only option (whatever (that's supported by GPU) to DVI)

If you have dual DVI outputs on your graphics card, then dual DVI (D) - DVI (D) cables is your best choice.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 5:45:02 AM

InvalidError said:
BenQ's specs says those monitors only support VGA and DVI so you would need a pair of whatever-to-DVI cables.

The images I could find for VTX-branded 7850 cards seem to show dual DVI outputs on them so the ideal setup would be a pair of plain DVI cables.


The Benq monitors I have are the HM models which support hdmi
m
0
l
a c 123 À AMD
a c 90 C Monitor
May 27, 2014 5:47:14 AM

yes, HDMI also, but if you don't want Audio then DVI is the better option (tends to be cheaper)
m
0
l
!