Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

New Catalyst 14.6 Driver Black Screen After Re-boot

Tags:
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 27, 2014 1:54:44 PM

So i installed the newest AMD Catalyst Driver (14.6 beta V1) and the installation goes smooth, however after i click the "finish" button and it tells me to restart my PC to finalize the installation - everything goes fine, the "loading windows icon" shows up and i can even enter the BIOS - however, after the loading windows the screen just goes black (blank) and doesn't change. So i have to hard reset my PC and go into safe mode and install a previous driver. I've never had this issue before.
My rig - R9 290, 3570K, ASRock Extreme4

Is there any solution? Or is it early days, the driver only came out today and is in beta - so should i just wait a couple of days for newer versions?

Cheers.

More about : catalyst driver black screen boot

May 27, 2014 2:01:46 PM

Might try going into the Advanced tab in the Installer and unchecking AHCI driver,that sounds like the problem they had in 14.3 and 14.4 Betas which was fixed in the 14.4WHQL after an update.

...btw,what happened to 14.5? lol
Score
0
May 27, 2014 2:04:35 PM

CrispyChips said:
Might try going into the Advanced tab in the Installer and unchecking AHCI driver,that sounds like the problem they had in 14.3 and 14.4 Betas which was fixed in the 14.4WHQL after an update.

...btw,what happened to 14.5? lol


Dunno, AMD usually skips some numbers in between, but what is a AHCL driver?
Score
0
Related resources
May 28, 2014 6:56:03 AM

Well now my monitor goes past the black screen and onto the log in screen and it simply just freezez? Before this I went in to the CCC and changed some settings in the Video settings and now it goes past the black screen and freezes instead
Score
0
May 28, 2014 6:57:38 AM

As the 14.6 driver is still in beta, do you think the AMD will solve this in the WHQL or full release of the driver?
Score
0
May 31, 2014 4:17:23 PM

hi,

theres is a workaround for the balck screeen problem. the AHCI driver is causing the black screen (boot problem). after installation there are 2 amd sata drivers in you windows driver directory. path for win 7: "windows/system32/drivers",

1. step: -reboot you machine, go into the BIOS and disable AHCI for your storage devices and choose IDE instead.
2. step: -now windows shoud boot, after login you go to the driver directory mentioned above.
3. step: -delete the file "amdsata.sys" and "amdxata.sys" those are the old AHCI drivers.
4. step: -check the "drivers" directory for "amd_sata.sys" and "amd_xata.sys those are the new AHCI drivers.
5. step: -reboot your machine, go to BIOS and change IDE to AHCI. save changes, exit setup and windows should boot just fine.

i dont know why the old drivers where left in the directory after installation, but they are causing the driver conflict that creates the boot problem.

atm1986
Score
0
June 4, 2014 1:44:27 AM

atm1986 said:
hi,

theres is a workaround for the balck screeen problem. the AHCI driver is causing the black screen (boot problem). after installation there are 2 amd sata drivers in you windows driver directory. path for win 7: "windows/system32/drivers",

1. step: -reboot you machine, go into the BIOS and disable AHCI for your storage devices and choose IDE instead.
2. step: -now windows shoud boot, after login you go to the driver directory mentioned above.
3. step: -delete the file "amdsata.sys" and "amdxata.sys" those are the old AHCI drivers.
4. step: -check the "drivers" directory for "amd_sata.sys" and "amd_xata.sys those are the new AHCI drivers.
5. step: -reboot your machine, go to BIOS and change IDE to AHCI. save changes, exit setup and windows should boot just fine.

i dont know why the old drivers where left in the directory after installation, but they are causing the driver conflict that creates the boot problem.

atm1986


hi atm, can you explain on point 4 again. i still little bit confuse. after deleting amdsata.sys and amdxata.sys then check the new of 2 driver ? is this mean that file automatic appears again or i should instal ?
Score
0
June 8, 2014 5:58:18 PM

A9M4D said:
CrispyChips said:
Might try going into the Advanced tab in the Installer and unchecking AHCI driver,that sounds like the problem they had in 14.3 and 14.4 Betas which was fixed in the 14.4WHQL after an update.

...btw,what happened to 14.5? lol


Dunno, AMD usually skips some numbers in between, but what is a AHCL driver?


This is bad. same problem but I can't even get into safe mode. I saw the achi tab too and left it selected, didn't realize this would happen. Can't get into windows- what now? From the System Recovery Options I can access the cmd prompt and in the drivers folder only the amdsata/xata.sys is there not the underscored ones. Still can't boot
Score
0
October 24, 2014 1:58:43 PM

A9M4D said:
So i installed the newest AMD Catalyst Driver (14.6 beta V1) and the installation goes smooth, however after i click the "finish" button and it tells me to restart my PC to finalize the installation - everything goes fine, the "loading windows icon" shows up and i can even enter the BIOS - however, after the loading windows the screen just goes black (blank) and doesn't change. So i have to hard reset my PC and go into safe mode and install a previous driver. I've never had this issue before.
My rig - R9 290, 3570K, ASRock Extreme4

Is there any solution? Or is it early days, the driver only came out today and is in beta - so should i just wait a couple of days for newer versions?

Cheers.


Hey I had this problem too for two days, I found out after doing a complete reset of my computer, and then downloading the drivers that I got from the manufacturer, and when I got to the catalyst driver, and restarted as they recommented, I was back at the black screen again, so now I thought I at least knew what was causing it.
THERE ARE TWO WAYS OF SOLVING THIS
one is If you can get to safe mode
1. while in safe mode, press start, then controlpanel, and then drivermanager or whatever it's called where you can see all the different drivers you have.
2. Find your graphicscard/screencard (whatever it's called) and DELETE IT, don't deactivate it, just DELETE IT, in my case my computer had a graphics card as "backup" but I am not an expert so I'm not sure everyone has that, but I believe everyone does :) 

THE OTHER WAY IS IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY LOST AND CANT DO ANYTHING (TOTAL RESET OF COMPUTER)
This is (in my case it was) for windows 7, I don't know if the installer will be the same for windows 8 or others.
Follow this website for visual help with how the installer should look like: www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-window...
1. if you still have your windows installer DVD that you got with the manufacturer put it in your computer
2. as your computer is rebooting get into your BIOS menu, don't worry, your computer is designed so that you can get in there even if you dont have a screencard/graphicscard.
3. somewhere you can see "prioritied at boot" or whatever, just make sure that it has the DVD as TOP priority
4. reboot again, at some point a black screen will appear where it says "press any key to.." just do that, hurry you don't have much time, and if you miss it you have to reboot your computer once again.
5. Now the intaller has begun and you can see on the website the steps
6. Go to picture 7 on the website! Do you see how "Driver options" is outlined? press it!
7. Now press format hardrive (on your preffered drive or whichever drive you consider your "largest" drive)
8. WARNING: This will delete all your stuff, so I suggest going into safemode that has internet and then backing up your stuff!
9. Wait for the installation of windows to finish
10. you now have a freshly wiped computer, DO NOT DOWNLOAD CATALYST DRIVER AGAIN (unless it's a different version of driver)

I pretty much wrote this in 5 minutes so if you need my help with explaining anything or rephrasing anything just tell me :) 
Score
0