Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive not recognized/not showing up

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computers
  • Storage
  • Boot Failure
  • Windows 7
  • Western Digital
Last response: in Storage
May 27, 2014 6:11:41 PM

So I just picked up this new Western Digital HD, (http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLW...)

and it came in the mail today so I plugged it into my computer (It's a fairly high end computer I've had for a year or two). I made sure I had the right power and data connectors, and it showed up in boot choices in my BIOS, but when I started Windows (After a few tried, I will explain that later) My Computer showed only my main Hard Drive. I turned it off and double checked the power connectors (They are not defective, I used to have them plugged into my previous secondary hard drive and it worked fine) and booted it again, but nothing was there.

But for some weird reason when I tried to boot up my computer it would go through the main booting processes, but right before the "welcome" windows screen (I have windows 7) my screen just went black. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes but it wasn't working, so I restarted and had to "run startup repair" just to get it to boot up. Right now the hard drive is out of my computer sitting in the box ready to go back to Amazon if it was defective, my old secondary is back in my hard drive working fine, and my booting is also working flawlessly. Did I just overlook something in how I added the hard drive? Would I have to re install windows 7 in order to get it work? Or did I just get a defective Hard Drive. Thanks guys!
-Shadow

More about : hard drive recognized showing

May 27, 2014 6:23:39 PM

- is it your secondary drive??

- did you try a RAID config??

m
0
l
May 27, 2014 8:20:08 PM

illuminatuz said:
- is it your secondary drive??

- did you try a RAID config??



What is a RAID config? And also yes its a secondary drive, it has no OS on it
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 420 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2014 9:49:57 PM

Now are you looking at the Disk management or just My Computer? If you are only looking in my computer then do this.

Right Click My Computer --> Manage --> The click on Disk management under Storage. Does it list a second hard drive?
Share
May 28, 2014 1:45:36 PM

I faced some issue when I made my SSD-HDD setup.. can't say this is exactly the same..

but here it went and that's how I fixed it..

you will have multiple ports to connect the drives..

port1
port2
port3

(3 ports for example)

port1 must be connected to your drive that has the OS..

(don't know.. but that's that..)

port 2 can be your secondary HDD..

port 3 your thrid HDD..

Hope this helps if your connections are the issue..
m
0
l
a c 288 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2014 2:27:03 PM

Quote:
my old secondary is back in my hard drive working fine, and my booting is also working flawlessly


There is prolly nothing wrong with the new WD HDD.

It sounds like you installed Windows with this "old secondary drive" installed and connected. If so, during installation, Windows installs a hidden SRP (System Reserved Partition) on the secondary drive which is necessary in order to boot Windows from the main drive. When you removed the old drive and installed the new drive, this SRP was missing and Windows panicked.

If you ran the Startup Repair with no secondary drive installed, this should have fixed the problem by installing an SRP on the main drive. If you did not run Startup Repair, that is what you need to do in order to use the new HDD.

Yogi
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 6:59:29 PM

drtweak said:
Now are you looking at the Disk management or just My Computer? If you are only looking in my computer then do this.

Right Click My Computer --> Manage --> The click on Disk management under Storage. Does it list a second hard drive?


Thanks man! I went in there and saw it was an "Unassigned Drive" And I'm not formatting it. :D  ty again
m
0
l
a c 420 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2014 9:25:17 PM

xxSh4dowW4lkerx said:
drtweak said:
Now are you looking at the Disk management or just My Computer? If you are only looking in my computer then do this.

Right Click My Computer --> Manage --> The click on Disk management under Storage. Does it list a second hard drive?


Thanks man! I went in there and saw it was an "Unassigned Drive" And I'm not formatting it. :D  ty again


Welcome! Sometimes its not something that is hard. Its something that is easy. That is always the first place i tell people to look when a hard drive isn't showing up. Should just be able to right click on it and Change the drive letter.
m
0
l