Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 660 vs Radeon R9 270X

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 27, 2014 11:54:43 PM

GTX 660http://
vs Radedon R9 270Xhttp://
vs R9 280 http://


which one's better. also, do i really need 4GB VRAM for Xtreme gaming??? how to use two monitors together

More about : gtx 660 radeon 270x

May 28, 2014 12:08:03 AM

R9 280>R9 270X>R9 270>GTX 660. The difference between two consecutive is at least 10%, and 20-30% average.
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 12:35:33 AM

It hard to compare graphics cards in a AMD vs Nvidia manner. You can use Specs as a useful guide when comparing two GPU from the same architecture ie: R9 270X vs Radeon HD 7870 as they both use GCN. note the r9 series is very slightly tweaked version of GCN, ie GCN 1.1. the GTX 660 and HD 7870 were in similar performance and price range last year. in terms of GPU compute power victorst1 has it right in that order. Just for a point of reference the HD 7870 has about 2.56 TFLOPs and the GTX 660 has about 1.9 TFLOPs. But there is a good amount of AAA titles that teh GTX 660 out performs the HD 7870. Also Video Memory can perform differently on the same Architecture for example a GTX 770 2Gb on a 256bit bus clocked 7010MHz can better offer a bigger buffer than the exact same GPU in the GTX 680.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 28, 2014 12:49:36 AM

It's better to go for the R9 270X , and It's better to go for the GTX 660 than R9 270 (If the Prices are similar).
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 28, 2014 1:21:16 AM

I have a 660. never use it. isn't that great.

if you play games at 1900 resolution at this point in time I would buy a 3gig card.

your next monitor may need the extra ram ( higher res will be the norm as 1080p is now )

some games already pass the 2gig mark storage - and some major titles will probably be pushing the limit in the near future.

you list a 280 above............. wouldn't waste my time on anything less if those 3 were my options.
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 1:57:30 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I have a 660. never use it. isn't that great.

if you play games at 1900 resolution at this point in time I would buy a 3gig card.

your next monitor may need the extra ram ( higher res will be the norm as 1080p is now )

some games already pass the 2gig mark storage - and some major titles will probably be pushing the limit in the near future.

you list a 280 above............. wouldn't waste my time on anything less if those 3 were my options.

But the R9 280 is hell of a lot xpensive than the R9270X.
is it really worth the price?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 28, 2014 2:23:00 AM

if it wasn't in your budget why did you even list it?.............. and believe it or not, bigger really is better.
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 2:25:26 AM

swifty_morgan said:
if it wasn't in your budget why did you even list it?.............. and believe it or not, bigger really is better.

Yes it is out of my budget but if it is really worth the price i can increase my budget
But really will its 933MHz speed affect its performance
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 3:26:54 AM

The R9 280 graphics cards range from $250-$300 And considering that it is not much less powerful to the $400+ R9 280x makes it a compelling value. Though then there is GPU binning and maybe some R9 280 GPUs do not perform as well as others
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 4:02:10 AM

Vitric9 said:
The R9 280 graphics cards range from $250-$300 And considering that it is not much less powerful to the $400+ R9 280x makes it a compelling value. Though then there is GPU binning and maybe some R9 280 GPUs do not perform as well as others

Is the MSI one good ??? http://www.flipkart.com/msi-amd-r9-280-gaming-3-gb-gddr...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
May 28, 2014 4:14:01 AM

yes, that is a very good card with a very good cooler (Twin Frozr by MSI), highly recommend it.
Share
!