Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Solid State Drives (SSD) with AMD chipsets - ???

Tags:
  • Solid State
  • Chipsets
  • Storage
  • AMD
  • SSD
Last response: in Storage
Share
May 28, 2014 6:07:49 AM

Dear Community,

I am thinking of getting a mid-range HP laptop for uni work and general use. The configuration I am thinking of buying contains an AMD Quad-Core A10-4655M processor and a 1TB HDD. My plan is to remove the HDD to keep as external storage and replace it with a 120GB Solid State Drive.

My first choice of SSD was a Samsung, however some consumer comments suggest that the drive has a number of issue when connected to an AMD chipset. Does anyone know if this is specific to Samsung SSDs or whether there is a general problem with AMD devices and SSDs?

My next choice is a Crucial M500 SSD, but I don't want to buy it and find that it either isn't detected or runs slowly, defeating the point.

Thanks in advance!

Azz

More about : solid state drives ssd amd chipsets

May 28, 2014 7:38:17 AM

could we get the laptop model number please?
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 10:27:58 AM

rishiswaz said:
could we get the laptop model number please?


Sure. It's an HP Pavilion 15-n274sa, part no: F5C21EA#ABU.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 943 G Storage
a b À AMD
May 28, 2014 7:42:44 PM

I know of no issues with Samsung SSD's and AMD chipsets.
None of my 3 Samsung ssd's on AMD chipsets have had the slightest problems.
The 4th one, on an intel chipset has an intermittent 'not detected' issue that crops up about once a year. A power off reboot resolves that.
Share
May 28, 2014 8:15:25 PM

Yeah you should be good with most SSDs. Make sure you check the physical specs and see if it will fit as well. I know some SSDs can seem standard sized, but they might be thicker. So just check before you buy.
m
0
l
a c 313 G Storage
May 28, 2014 8:29:46 PM

I have two desktop systems in my home office. One is an Intel based system and the second one is an AMD system. Both are equipped with Samsung solid state drives. I have not experienced any ssd issues or problems with either system. It is possible you may have run across old articles or old forum threads.

I also have an old Toshiba laptop. I removed the hard disk drive and installed a standard SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive. I did not experience any problems. You mentioned purchasing a laptop computer. A typical laptop can accommodate standard 2.5 inch drives so it should not be a problem. It would be different if you were going to buy a tablet or a notebook.
m
1
l
May 28, 2014 8:37:52 PM

I was recently advised by a local computer technician that although any SSD can be paired with AMD, he wouldn't advise it due to the AMD speed being less than the SSD speed. The end result being that the speed boost of the SSD would not be fully realized by the user. I do not have any personal experience with this, but the technician's opinion was that SSDs were best paired with Intel chips for superior performance.
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 10:05:59 AM

Wordless Forever said:
I was recently advised by a local computer technician that although any SSD can be paired with AMD, he wouldn't advise it due to the AMD speed being less than the SSD speed. The end result being that the speed boost of the SSD would not be fully realized by the user. I do not have any personal experience with this, but the technician's opinion was that SSDs were best paired with Intel chips for superior performance.


Hi, thanks for answering. Do you know what the technician meant by the "AMD speed" being less than the SSD speed? I'm not sure how processor speed relates to the read and write speed of a storage drive in this context.
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 10:08:02 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
I have two desktop systems in my home office. One is an Intel based system and the second one is an AMD system. Both are equipped with Samsung solid state drives. I have not experienced any ssd issues or problems with either system. It is possible you may have run across old articles or old forum threads.

I also have an old Toshiba laptop. I removed the hard disk drive and installed a standard SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive. I did not experience any problems. You mentioned purchasing a laptop computer. A typical laptop can accommodate standard 2.5 inch drives so it should not be a problem. It would be different if you were going to buy a tablet or a notebook.


Thanks very much for your reply. Did you notice any significant difference in the speed of the SSD drives between the Intel and AMD units? Or do they end up performing almost the same?

m
0
l
May 29, 2014 10:27:52 AM

The AMD speed might refer to the SATA revision (ie: SATA III vs SATA II) I am not too familiar with AMD chipsets for laptops so I can't say for sure.
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 10:31:11 AM

rishiswaz said:
The AMD speed might refer to the SATA revision (ie: SATA III vs SATA II) I am not too familiar with AMD chipsets for laptops so I can't say for sure.


Thanks rishiswaz. Do most modern computers generally include SATA-III now as opposed to SATA-II? And if it is SATA-II (3GB/s) will I still get a significantly improved speed with a SSD over a HDD?
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 1:50:27 PM

azz1844 said:
Wordless Forever said:
I was recently advised by a local computer technician that although any SSD can be paired with AMD, he wouldn't advise it due to the AMD speed being less than the SSD speed. The end result being that the speed boost of the SSD would not be fully realized by the user. I do not have any personal experience with this, but the technician's opinion was that SSDs were best paired with Intel chips for superior performance.


Hi, thanks for answering. Do you know what the technician meant by the "AMD speed" being less than the SSD speed? I'm not sure how processor speed relates to the read and write speed of a storage drive in this context.


m
0
l
May 29, 2014 1:56:12 PM

I'm going through computerlx.com to put together a suitable configuration. I'd chosen AMD FX-8350 4ghz 8-core motherboard and I had chosen a 1T Samsung hard drive. That's when the red flag went up. I was told that the system would work, but, if I desired to experience the full speed spectrum of the hard drive, I needed to go with an intel motherboard. Beyond that, I do not know. I'm a user, not a technician. I desire to eliminate the lag time I now experience. I understand that I may be more sensitive to the lag time than others who rely on mouse movement. I do not. So, every microsecond of lag is intensely noticed by me - hands on keyboard, ready and waiting - not always so peacefully.
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 2:10:19 PM

"Thanks rishiswaz. Do most modern computers generally include SATA-III now as opposed to SATA-II? And if it is SATA-II (3GB/s) will I still get a significantly improved speed with a SSD over a HDD?"

Hi - I recently read a really interesting review where multiple configurations were used - even an old system utilizing an Athlon dual-core chip. The only component changed was the HDD was removed and replaced with an SSD. The results were intriguing. In every single instance (about 10), performance/speed was increased by 50% minimum. I don't know if that qualifies as "significant," but a 50% improved performance realized by changing out an HDD for an SDD sounded pretty good.

m
0
l
!