Solved

Grounding yourself? First time builder

Hi, I'm a first time pc builder and I just wanted to ask the community how to properly ground yourself without a wriststrap? Ive heard that touching a piece of un painted or un coated metal works but I'm not sure.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about grounding time builder
  1. Best answer
    That's what I've always done, and never had any trouble yet...

    Basically the point is to be rid of any static charge that may be on you, as if that transfers to the mobo or other ensitive parts, it can damage them since they run on very low voltages

    So you touch a large metal object (a computer case for example) and any static charge on you is discharged
  2. louis_theo said:
    Hi, I'm a first time pc builder and I just wanted to ask the community how to properly ground yourself without a wriststrap? Ive heard that touching a piece of un painted or un coated metal works but I'm not sure.

    Thanks


    Yeah that's all you need to do. A good thing to touch is a tap in your kitchen or a metal part of your case. Also, make sure you don't work on carpeting, and also make sure you're on a non-conductive surface.
  3. Graphiicz said:
    louis_theo said:
    Hi, I'm a first time pc builder and I just wanted to ask the community how to properly ground yourself without a wriststrap? Ive heard that touching a piece of un painted or un coated metal works but I'm not sure.

    Thanks


    Yeah that's all you need to do. A good thing to touch is a tap in your kitchen or a metal part of your case. Also, make sure you don't work on carpeting, and also make sure you're on a non-conductive surface.
    thanks a lot for the help! :hap:
  4. snowctrl said:
    That's what I've always done, and never had any trouble yet...

    Basically the point is to be rid of any static charge that may be on you, as if that transfers to the mobo or other ensitive parts, it can damage them since they run on very low voltages

    So you touch a large metal object (a computer case for example) and any static charge on you is discharged

    thanks a lot for the help! :hap:
  5. No worries!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems