Solved

Noctuna DH-14 vs Corsair H80i

17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about noctuna corsair h80i
  1. can you get the d15 btw?
    anyways the noctua's is better, even good dual height radiators have trouble keeping up with d14 and d15.
    in some instances the waterblock radiator combo is useful for aesthetics or space constraints.
  2. Eduello said:

    Is the DH-H14 different than the NH-D14
    Which one is better?
  3. It depends on your case.
    How cool do you really need to be?
    How quiet do you want to be?

    My canned rant on liquid cooling:
    ------------------------start of rant-------------------
    You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
    How much do you really need?
    I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks can do the job just as well.
    A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
    in a well ventilated case.
    Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
    The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
    If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
    If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
    And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
    google "H100 leak"
    -----------------------end of rant--------------------------

    Since your FX-8320 is at stock, you have little need for special cooling.
    A simple $30 cooler like a cm hyper212 will be quiet and do the job.
    If you want the best air cooling for overclocking the NH-D14 or Phanteks would be my pick.
  4. geofelt said:
    It depends on your case.
    How cool do you really need to be?
    How quiet do you want to be?

    My canned rant on liquid cooling:
    ------------------------start of rant-------------------
    You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
    How much do you really need?
    I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 or phanteks can do the job just as well.
    A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
    in a well ventilated case.
    Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
    The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
    If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
    If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
    And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
    google "H100 leak"
    -----------------------end of rant--------------------------

    Since your FX-8320 is at stock, you have little need for special cooling.
    A simple $30 cooler like a cm hyper212 will be quiet and do the job.
    If you want the best air cooling for overclocking the NH-D14 or Phanteks would be my pick.


    If I want cheap liquid cooling will the H80i be a good option, will it keep the cpu cooler than the NH-D14
    After overclocking it to 4.0GHz how much increase in performance should I expect?
  5. Why not just buy a FX-8350 instead and run it at stock 4.0?
  6. geofelt said:
    Why not just buy a FX-8350 instead and run it at stock 4.0?

    Thanks Would buying a 8350 with Cooler Master Tx3 evo be a better option for gaming rather than an 8320with NH-D14
  7. T2 said:
    Eduello said:

    Is the DH-H14 different than the NH-D14
    Which one is better?


    Sorry, that was a typo; I meant to write NH-D14.

    Quote:
    Thanks Would buying a 8350 with Cooler Master Tx3 evo be a better option for gaming rather than an 8320with NH-D14


    Depends on how much you are going to OC. If you think you want to go past 4.4GHz, go for the 8320 and NH-D14.


    Also, @geofelt: Exactly how many of these canned rants do you have? O_o
  8. Eduello said:
    T2 said:
    Eduello said:

    Is the DH-H14 different than the NH-D14
    Which one is better?


    Sorry, that was a typo; I meant to write NH-D14.
    I am thinking to overclock to 4.2GHz

    Quote:
    Thanks Would buying a 8350 with Cooler Master Tx3 evo be a better option for gaming rather than an 8320with NH-D14


    Depends on how much you are going to OC. If you think you want to go past 4.4GHz, go for the 8320 and NH-D14.


    Also, @geofelt: Exactly how many of these canned rants do you have? O_o
  9. I am thinking to overclock it to 4.2GHz
  10. T2 said:
    I am thinking to overclock it to 4.2GHz


    Then both options should work, get whichever costs you less.
  11. Eduello said:
    T2 said:
    I am thinking to overclock it to 4.2GHz


    Then both options should work, get whichever costs you less.

    I know both would work but which would be better (performance wise)
  12. T2 said:
    Eduello said:
    T2 said:
    I am thinking to overclock it to 4.2GHz


    Then both options should work, get whichever costs you less.

    I know both would work but which would be better (performance wise)



    The CPUs are equal @ 4.2GHz in terms of performance. I would personally go for the NH-D14 + 8320 since it's going to be more quiet.
  13. I also like the NH-D14 solution because it is the quietest and is equally effective.

    The FX-8350 @$190 is essentially a better binned FX-8320 that comes with a 4.0 clock out of the box compared to the FX-8320 @$160 with a 3.5 clock.

    If your goal is 4.0, then I think it is better to spend $30 more on the cpu and use the stock cooler instead of $80 on a aftermarket cooler, a 8320, and hope you get a good enough bin.

    If your goal is 4.2 you might be best off spending the extra $30 on a 8350 and a $30 cooler like a cm hyper212.

    Once your cpu+cooler budget goes north of $220, I would look at a i5-4670K.

    And... as to the rants, I have several. I got tired of explaining my reasoning for the same questions over and over. Over time, the details and products will change, I need to be a bit more diligent with updates.
    I label them rants so readers will know that these are stock answers.
    Thanks for noticing. :)
  14. geofelt said:
    I also like the NH-D14 solution because it is the quietest and is equally effective.

    The FX-8350 @$190 is essentially a better binned FX-8320 that comes with a 4.0 clock out of the box compared to the FX-8320 @$160 with a 3.5 clock.

    If your goal is 4.0, then I think it is better to spend $30 more on the cpu and use the stock cooler instead of $80 on a aftermarket cooler, a 8320, and hope you get a good enough bin.

    If your goal is 4.2 you might be best off spending the extra $30 on a 8350 and a $30 cooler like a cm hyper212.

    Once your cpu+cooler budget goes north of $220, I would look at a i5-4670K.

    And... as to the rants, I have several. I got tired of explaining my reasoning for the same questions over and over. Over time, the details and products will change, I need to be a bit more diligent with updates.
    I label them rants so readers will know that these are stock answers.
    Thanks for noticing. :)


    I think you can actually get the FX-8320 for $135, but I can't check that since PCPartPicker is acting up. Not that it matters; The original links are to products on Flipkart so the price can't be compared in USD.

    I think I should start to write down rants myself, they could come in handy some day...
  15. Eduello said:
    geofelt said:
    I also like the NH-D14 solution because it is the quietest and is equally effective.

    The FX-8350 @$190 is essentially a better binned FX-8320 that comes with a 4.0 clock out of the box compared to the FX-8320 @$160 with a 3.5 clock.

    If your goal is 4.0, then I think it is better to spend $30 more on the cpu and use the stock cooler instead of $80 on a aftermarket cooler, a 8320, and hope you get a good enough bin.

    If your goal is 4.2 you might be best off spending the extra $30 on a 8350 and a $30 cooler like a cm hyper212.

    Once your cpu+cooler budget goes north of $220, I would look at a i5-4670K.

    And... as to the rants, I have several. I got tired of explaining my reasoning for the same questions over and over. Over time, the details and products will change, I need to be a bit more diligent with updates.
    I label them rants so readers will know that these are stock answers.
    Thanks for noticing. :)


    I think you can actually get the FX-8320 for $135, but I can't check that since PCPartPicker is acting up. Not that it matters; The original links are to products on Flipkart so the price can't be compared in USD.

    I think I should start to write down rants myself, they could come in handy some day...

    I am going to ask the same question again which is more effective FX-8350 with CM Hyper 212 EVo or FX-8320 with NH-D14 both overclocked to 4.2 GHz
  16. Best answer
    Both are equally powerful, but 8320 + nh-d14 is most likely going to be more silent and possibly cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling ASrock Corsair