i3 4130 or amd fx-6300

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014
I have to buy a new processor for $120. I am planning to buy an i3 4130 and a gigabyte h87m-d3h motherboard and a suitable psu. I game a lot and play all latest high end games like bf4 and ac4 and hitman absolution. Other tasks i do on my pc are browsing and movie-watching. I chalked out the 4130 bcoz its the only 4th gen processor which suits my budget. I want a 4th gen processor bcoz i want to buy a broadwell cpu when it releases and h87 boards are compatible. For gaming, what do u guys out der suggest? AMD fx-6300 is the other options. Thanks in advance.

joselo025

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
as you can see in this test:http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4130-vs-AMD-FX-6300

they are about the same in some cases the fx 6300 is better than the i3 counterpart and it is more future proof cuz it have 6 cores and most game will utilize more cores on the cpu

logainofhades

Titan
CPU boss FTL! :lol: That site is a horrible comparison tool. FX 6300 cannot even beat an i3 3225 without being clocked to FX 6350 speeds.
Combined-Average-Gaming-Performance.png

Oh an Watch Dogs was touted as being a multithreaded next gen title. By your logic it should crush the i3, yet it barely beat an i3 3220. An i3 4130 is faster yet.
CPU-FR.png

Techspot's review showed 4130 even with a 6350 and just 3fps below an FX 8350.

CPU_01.png

I bought into the whole next gen need 8 cores thing awhile back. I own two, FX 8320's myself. Well, next gen seems to be here, and AMD didn't really improve much.

joselo025

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Look i dont know if you are a fanboy or not but the benchmarks you are showing me are telling than the fx 6300 is a better cpu all around and how do you know cpuboss is a bad website LOL, now i can really say you are a fanboy

here is other benchmark: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/351/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6300_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4130.html
and here: http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=1877&pid2=1146&compare=core-i3-4130-3-4ghz-vs-fx-6300

They are about the same proccesor, the thing is you dont even look at other review sites and you i think you are a 11 years old boy than think is smart and you are not sir, have a good day

n3cw4rr10r

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013

Watch dogs is indeed a nvidia optimized game. Seriously though, the FX 6300 is an all around processor and more future proof than the i3-4130.

logainofhades

Titan

Oh yea I am such a fanboy, despite the fact I own two FX 8320 rigs. :whistle: The fanboy here is you, sorry but it's true.

jaywillny

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
I had to make this same decision when I built my PC. I ended up going with the AMD FX chip and I am happy with my choice. I feel I get strong gaming and video editing performance out of my FX6300. It should be pointed out that AM3+ is a dead socket now. So your future upgrade options would be limited to existing AMD chips.

i3.

Higher per-core performance for games (most use less than 4 threads/cores, not looking to change) and most other tasks. Also has a viable upgrade path that the FX's and AM3+ cannot offer.

Basically, once your FX gets outdated (already is) or does not perform as well as you'd like you're S.O.L.

It should also be pointed out that in those benches it was an mainly an IB i3, not Haswell. Once Haswell was introduced into the equation in Watch Dogs, it outperformed the FX 6300 - I'd expect the same in the other tests.

joselo025

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
But didn't you two your own benchmarks the fx 6300 outperforms the i3 and watchdogs is a NVIDIA OPTIMIZED GAME this game won't run well any Amd CPU why is defend a CPU with 2 cores it does not matter than it have ht it only have 2 cores and in 1 or 2 years won't be able to run any game

Akhil Potukuchi

Honorable
May 28, 2014
I anyway will not be overclocking. And i want to be able to upgrade to a high end i5 in the future. So i am pro i3. And the fx-6300 wit its chipset does not hav a gud enuf upgrade path. Also how does the i3 perform in browser benchmarks???

What?

That's to do with GPU's, not CPU's.

It runs well, just not as well as intel.

Considering it outperforms the FX in many tasks as of now, yes it will do fine.

Definitely the i3, especially considering that the FX-6300 isn't really a six-core processor, despite what everyone says.

The FX-6300 only has three FPUs, meaning that whilst it does have six cores, only three of them can be used at any one time. Now, when you compare that to an i3 which has hyper threading and MUCH stronger single-core performance, the case for the Intel becomes clear. This is before you get to the AM3+ socket, which is getting long in the tooth and is due for a change.

jaywillny

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013

Well if you are serious about gaming the per core performance of the Intel is simply superior to the AMD FX series. The fact is that most games now do not take advantage of the additional cores making per core performance king.

Gaming trends follow consoles and both PS4 and Xbox One use 6 core processors based on AMD technology. So the future in gaming will favor the processor with more cores, this is a bright side for the current line of AMD products but, please do keep in mind that AM3+ is a dead socket. So in the event that your processing needs extend beyond the capabilities of the current product line. You will be not only buying a new CPU but also a new Motherboard at upgrade time.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Lets first start off with the fact that neither CPUs are really ideal for gaming.

The i3 has fast cores, but only has two of them and uses Hyperthreading to feed those cores faster.

The FX 63XX has six cores, but they are pretty slow. Its also on a pretty old socket thats seems to be EOL.

The question of what performs better depends on what particular CPU in these series you are comparing. The FX 6300 and an i3 41XX appear to be in a dead heat in new games. The FX 6350 and a i3 43XX has the i3 winning, however.

The reason why to go with the i3 is more for what you aren't getting from the FX 6300: single threaded performance. While its true that games are getting more threaded, this phenomenon isn't retroactive. While the FX 6300 might beat the i3 in new games, you'll be SOL in anything older than Crysis 3. There are a lot, lot more games in the latter than in the former.