Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What Video Card should i upgrade to and will i have bottleneck issues?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2014 8:06:03 PM

I'm sorry! i realize that there are hundreds of these posts but i feel like i should explain my situation and hopefully you can help me choose!

I'm currently torn between AMD R9 280X($299.00) vs. GTX 770($349.00) vs. R9 290($399.00)
I'm mostly interested in the Asus DCUII versions but im open to other brands as well.
These are amazon prizes I would love the gtx 780 but at 500 it's too much.

I would like a video card that can max out current games like: BF3-4, GTA, SKYRIM and i play many others LOL, DOTA, SC2 Trbies ascend ect.. I currently play on a 23.6 inch 1080p @60hz monitor but i will most likely be purchasing a 1440p monitor with in the year. (i also enjoy gaming on a 39 inch 120hz 1080p T.V. so if possible i would like ta video card that can not only run most games named in maxed or high settings @60 but do 120hz as well.(if that's even possible)

I am also wondering if my system overall will be a bottleneck to any new card, I should mention that i was completely satisfied with my GTX 670's performance for all games up until it started to crash with any DX11 game and eventually died on me :'C

My System Specs:

-AMD FX-6350 (CPU)
-Hyper 212 Evo (CPU Cooler)
-Asus GTX 670 2GB Top edition (FAILED ON ME :'C RMA IN PROGRESS)
-Samsung 120GB 840 EVO SSD (OS Drive)
-WD Blue 1TB HDD (Storage/Game Drive)
-Asus M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ (MOBO)
-8GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengance Red (RAM)
-Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze 620GM2 80Plus (PSU)
-Display: Asus VH238H-P 23 Inch
-Corsair K70 Keyboard
-Logitech G400 Mouse
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2014 8:28:19 PM

Well for all of those cards I don't think you will have an issue playing any of the games named except maybe BF4 on highest settings at those resolutions. Not sure where you will fall on the 120Hz TV but 60Hz won't be a problem.

However I think you shouldn't go super high end like GTX 780. Your system over all isn't too much to worry about. The CPU will be a bottleneck on the GTX780 and probably anything GTX 770 and up will be bad bottleneck. I would go with probably the R9 280x to help avoid bottleneck issues and still get a big boost. Maybe sell you CPU and get an 8350 with the extra cash but otherwise just stay as you are with the R9 280X.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2014 8:30:30 PM

R9 280x and GTX 770 are pretty same in games. R9 280x performs better in some games ( like BF4) while GTX 770 performs better in other games (like Crysis 3 , Bioshock Infinite)
Though I've found that GTX 770 outperforms 280x in most games @ 1080p

But for 1440p gaming R9 280x will outperform GTX 770 due to its 1GB of more VRAM

But I doubt that r9 280x or GTX 770 will be able to maintain 120FPS which may cause stuttering while gaming at 120Hz refresh rate. But since most 120Hz TV's are not actual 120Hz (they do interpolation on 60Hz panel to achieve 120Hz refresh rate, therefore donot accept 120FPS as input)which means that they cannot display more than 60FPS, so you will be fine.

But if you can buy R9 290 then it will the best among GTX 770 or R9 280x. But for your needs I think R9 280x will do fine.

FX 6350 won't be much of a bottleneck for these cards especially GTX 770 or R9 280x and you can overclock it to get more performance out of it.
Share
Related resources
May 28, 2014 9:26:29 PM

IInuyasha74 said:
Well for all of those cards I don't think you will have an issue playing any of the games named except maybe BF4 on highest settings at those resolutions. Not sure where you will fall on the 120Hz TV but 60Hz won't be a problem.

However I think you shouldn't go super high end like GTX 780. Your system over all isn't too much to worry about. The CPU will be a bottleneck on the GTX780 and probably anything GTX 770 and up will be bad bottleneck. I would go with probably the R9 280x to help avoid bottleneck issues and still get a big boost. Maybe sell you CPU and get an 8350 with the extra cash but otherwise just stay as you are with the R9 280X.


So you don't think i should go for the R9 290? even if i might consider upgrading my cpu and mobo in the next year or so? If that's the case then the question becomes R9 280x vs. GTX 770 and would the gtx be worth the extra 30-40?
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 9:28:33 PM

maktovic said:
R9 280x and GTX 770 are pretty same in games. R9 280x performs better in some games ( like BF4) while GTX 770 performs better in other games (like Crysis 3 , Bioshock Infinite)
Though I've found that GTX 770 outperforms 280x in most games @ 1080p

But for 1440p gaming R9 280x will outperform GTX 770 due to its 1GB of more VRAM

But I doubt that r9 280x or GTX 770 will be able to maintain 120FPS which may cause stuttering while gaming at 120Hz refresh rate. But since most 120Hz TV's are not actual 120Hz (they do interpolation on 60Hz panel to achieve 120Hz refresh rate, therefore donot accept 120FPS as input)which means that they cannot display more than 60FPS, so you will be fine.

But if you can buy R9 290 then it will the best among GTX 770 or R9 280x. But for your needs I think R9 280x will do fine.

FX 6350 won't be much of a bottleneck for these cards especially GTX 770 or R9 280x and you can overclock it to get more performance out of it.



Very good point on the T.V. refresh rate, i will take your answer as a +1 for R9 280x thanks for you input.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2014 9:33:07 PM

Well yes if in the next year you plan to upgrade then yes I would say go for the R9 290 if you can. If your upgrade will be any further than 12 months though I would say no because by that time something way better may be available and you are better to save money for the time being.

As for 280x vs. 770, I personally would go with the 280x even if it cost more. I just like AMD better, and I feel I get more for my money with them than Nvidia. Also I have had great overclocking results with them, and not so great with Nvidia. However this is more of a preference than anything. The performance difference won't be that big either way.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2014 9:45:53 PM

If you are having plans to update your CPU not before than a year then you should consider getting GTX 770 or R9 280x since in that time maybe a better graphics card and CPU roll in and you can invest in some new hardware.

For gaming at 1080p, GTX 770 is worth it since it is bit better(2-8%) than R9 280x in most games though the difference is not day & night

If you are having plans to upgrade your monitor to 1440p then R9 280x will be better than GTX 770 which is again attributable to 280x's more VRAM
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 11:07:49 PM

maktovic said:
If you are having plans to update your CPU not before than a year then you should consider getting GTX 770 or R9 280x since in that time maybe a better graphics card and CPU roll in and you can invest in some new hardware.

For gaming at 1080p, GTX 770 is worth it since it is bit better(2-8%) than R9 280x in most games though the difference is not day & night

If you are having plans to upgrade your monitor to 1440p then R9 280x will be better than GTX 770 which is again attributable to 280x's more VRAM



Yeah im considering upgrading to the next intel line or maybe wait one more gen before going either Intel or Amd for their next line which i belive will be late 2014 early 2015.
m
0
l
May 28, 2014 11:15:44 PM

IInuyasha74 said:
Well yes if in the next year you plan to upgrade then yes I would say go for the R9 290 if you can. If your upgrade will be any further than 12 months though I would say no because by that time something way better may be available and you are better to save money for the time being.

As for 280x vs. 770, I personally would go with the 280x even if it cost more. I just like AMD better, and I feel I get more for my money with them than Nvidia. Also I have had great overclocking results with them, and not so great with Nvidia. However this is more of a preference than anything. The performance difference won't be that big either way.


m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2014 11:20:26 PM

In short →With your current FX 6350 CPU
For a single 1080p monitor GTX 770 will be sufficient ( and better than r9 280x in most games)
For a single 1440p monitor R9 280x will provide you more performance

If your are planning to use dual-monitor setup you'll need R9 290 or better to max out games and also need to upgrade your CPU to avoid bottlenecks
m
0
l
May 29, 2014 9:18:09 AM

@maktovic @IInuyasha74 - thanks for the replies guys, as of now I'm leaning more towards the R9 280X. I might just sit on the 5770 :C until I hear the results of the RMA for my 670 then will decide to maybe sli 670(roimg this I'd need a sli compatible mobo) or just get the R9 280X. But anyway thanks again.
m
0
l
!