162 - System options not set

Nealec

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I am trying to fix my Grandparent PC, it is an old compaq d530 and has just suddenly started showing the "162 - System options not set " erro at startup.

They have not changed/added any new hardware or done anything new on the PC, it is used only for YouTube, emails, minimal searching on google & printing the odd photo.

I have updated the bios and tried multiple new batteries yet the error still returns after the PC has been shutdown and unplugged from the mains.

Can anybody think waht could be causing this and how to fix?

Solution

Well that's odd...

OK, this is just speculation, but since this error code is caused by a change in hardware, would it be possible that something broke inside the PC? Does it have 2 sticks and slots of RAM? If it does, try using the PC with one stick in one slot with both sticks and both slots. That way we can rule out a broken RAM stick and/or slot.

Nealec

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Thankyou, however I have tried this and it did not fix the problem. The error returns the next time I boot up after shutting down and unplugging the PC.

Nealec

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

I have not tried this, I can't see any "custid" option in my bios menu.

Well that's odd...

OK, this is just speculation, but since this error code is caused by a change in hardware, would it be possible that something broke inside the PC? Does it have 2 sticks and slots of RAM? If it does, try using the PC with one stick in one slot with both sticks and both slots. That way we can rule out a broken RAM stick and/or slot.

Solution

Nealec

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

OK just tried different ram slots/stick combinations and new sticks. Still gives me the error when I turn on the PC after it's been unplugged.