Solved

CPU to match performance of GTX-760

I'm planning on making some hardware improvements to my setup and I need help with choosing a new CPU, or do I even need one?

My current system:

GPU: Geforce GT 640 2GB DDR3
CPU: Intel Pentium G850
Motherboard: ASUS P8z77-v lk
RAM: 8GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF
OS: Windows 7 Home
Only one 1080p monitor!

I want to get better graphic performance out of my current games and future games. I don't need 120 fps on Crysis 3 Ultra settings, but I want 40-50 fps great performance on high-ish settings at 1080p for the next gen games (i.e. MIRROR's EDGE 2 *woot! and the new Wolfenstein and whatnot) so I'm planning on getting the Geforce GTX-760. I only want a CPU that's not going to hold it back. I don't need anything crazy good. I just want a CPU that will match the performance of the GTX-760. I WAS planning on getting the Intel i5-4570 but then I realized that it's CPU socket is the LGA 1150, and my motherboard's is the LGA 1155. When I started looking for other motherboards, I couldn't find any that have a LGA 1150 CPU socket and a PCI express 3.0. So since I'm pretty much decided on the GTX-760, what CPU and motherboard should I buy? If I can buy a CPU that won't hold back the GTX-760 and fits in the LGA 1155 (2nd and 3rd gen Intel processors), I'm content with that as long as it's not crazy overpriced. My current motherboard DOES have a PCI express 3.0. And will it hold the GTX-760 back to plug it in the PCIe 2.0? And would my current CPU hold back the GTX-760?Thanks!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu match performance gtx 760
  1. Best answer
    If you were considering the i5-4570, then go for the i5-3570. It matches with the CPU slot in your motherboard.
  2. An i5-3350p will be good enough.
  3. considering you went for the more expensive z77 chipset, you may want to consider getting a k ivybridge to utilize its overclocking capability.

    ie, a 3570k
  4. neon neophyte said:
    considering you went for the more expensive z77 chipset, you may want to consider getting a k ivybridge to utilize its overclocking capability.

    ie, a 3570k


    Agreed. An i5-3570k or i7-3770k.
  5. Joseph DeGarmo said:
    neon neophyte said:
    considering you went for the more expensive z77 chipset, you may want to consider getting a k ivybridge to utilize its overclocking capability.

    ie, a 3570k


    Agreed. An i5-3570k or i7-3770k.


    :P ok. not sure how to overclock but it would be fun to learn. Do you think I'll get a noticeable performance difference?
  6. there are huge benefits to overclocking and it is very easy with the unlocked multiplier.
  7. neon neophyte said:
    there are huge benefits to overclocking and it is very easy with the unlocked multiplier.


    thanks! I'll try it out. You're all awesome.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Performance CPUs