Solved

Building PC for friend, need some advice

So my friend is close to buying a PC, and he asked me to pick out all the parts for him. His main goal is gaming. No mouse, keyboard, monitor etc are needed. Here is what I have come up with:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/siliconecake/saved/qCzkcf
Note: Some of the parts are in the custom section, as I couldn't find them on the list.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building friend advice
  1. Best answer
    Looks good. LOVE the use of the 4590 + H97 mobo. I don't think 16Gb of RAM is needed and I would probably look at a SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec psu in the 650w range, but that's just a personal preference. I also love the Sapphire Tri-X 290 but it's a little more than the MSI 290.
  2. CTurbo said:
    Looks good. LOVE the use of the 4590 + H97 mobo. I don't think 16Gb of RAM is needed and I would probably look at a SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec psu in the 650w range, but that's just a personal preference. I also love the Sapphire Tri-X 290 but it's a little more than the MSI 290.


    Thanks! I haven't seen many people use that combination, and I don't know why, it's pretty good if you're doing a budget build. My friend specifically asked for the 16gb, I probably should have said that. He is also planning on adding another 290, so 750 is needed. Should've said that too :P But yeah, I much prefer the Tri-X, but its a bit more, and the MSI one is fine, and fits with the red/black theme we have going on.
  3. I CONSTANTLY recommend the 4570/4590 + H87/H97 combo and have used a similar setup several times now.

    The H97 will not properly support crossfire though, and I'm not sure 750w would be enough for two 290s.
  4. CTurbo said:
    I CONSTANTLY recommend the 4570/4590 + H87/H97 combo and have used a similar setup several times now.

    The H97 will not properly support crossfire though, and I'm not sure 750w would be enough for two 290s.


    After a total of 10 minutes research, it would seem 750 watts is enough for xFire, but I can never be sure. Maybe we'll bump it up to 850? And what exactly do you mean by it won't support it properly?
  5. Eh I looked around too and I don't think I would go less than 800w and would feel better with 850w
  6. CTurbo said:
    Eh I looked around too and I don't think I would go less than 800w and would feel better with 850w


    Swapped it out for an 850, it was only 30 bucks more and could save some headaches down the road. Thanks a lot man :)
  7. Great build :)
    Like CTurbo said you're better off with 850w + than 750w if you're planning to CF those 290's
  8. andrei65 said:
    Great build :)
    Like CTurbo said you're better off with 850w + than 750w if you're planning to CF those 290's


    Thanks! I ended up swapping the 750w for an Antec Modular thing 850w
  9. antec high current gamer ?
    if yes i heard they're very good for overclocking and crossfire/sli :)
  10. +1 Antecs are top notch
  11. andrei65 said:
    antec high current gamer ?
    if yes i heard they're very good for overclocking and crossfire/sli :)


    Yeah, and its only 30 bucks more. It's 80+ Bronze as opposed to the 80+Gold of the Corsair, but it still good, and it fits the black and red colour theme.
Ask a new question

Read More

pc help Build Components Gaming