My 8 year old Samsung SyncMaster 226BW has reached its end as it constantly blinks/flashes black for more than 7hours. Now, I'm looking to invest in a new monitor. I'm mainly a gamer playing mainly MOBA and RPG games, and watch videos quite a fair bit like game tournament live streams.
Here's a few things I'm looking for (if possible to satisfy all of it):
- Budget : ~ $800
- Size : 23~25" *afraid if I go any bigger, I'd have to roll my eyes everywhere when I play my games
- Aspect Ratio : 16:10
- Pixel Response : 2ms (grey-to-grey), 5ms (black-to-white) *any less the better
- Resolution : at least 1920x1080 *4k, QHD (or WQHD) also preferred
- Refresh Rate : 60Hz or 120Hz
- IPS Display *TN seems fine but read that the narrow viewing angle matters when the size is at 24" and above
- Screen Texture : Matte
- Headphone Jack *optional
- Preferable brands are Samsung and Asus.
The VG248QE is a great monitor if you prefer the 144hz. The 144hz definitely looks more fluid and is considered a great gaming monitor. However, the aspect ratio of that monitor is 16:9, not 16:10.
Here is another monitor option: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pa248q
It's a 1900x1200 resolution screen so you have a 16:10 aspect ratio. It's also an IPS panel over the TN of the 144hz monitor so it has better viewing angles and better image quality, but it's only 60hz.