HD 6800 and Sony projector looks horrible

mark aus Melbourne

Honorable
May 30, 2014
I have an i7 3770k chip and a radeon HD 6800 graphics card. I am trying to run this through my home theatre system via a reasonbly high-end Sony projector. Unfortunately on any resolution setting it is blurred and horrible, the borders don't really fit either. Everything else is fine, Apple TV and Blu-Ray discs look incredible. Is this a common problem? I need to upgrade eventually to say a GTX 6 or 7 series graphics card but am reluctant to spend the money yet.

update: I was initially connected by an HMDI cable and the same thing happened. Once I found a DP -> HDMI cable for sound the graphics did not improve.

festerovic

Distinguished
So it doesnt go from Video card to Projector, it goes through the receiver and then the projector. Things to check:

Look for the GPU scaling option in the Catalyst control center. Toggle it both ways. Will need a restart even though it doesn't prompt it. May require receiver and projector to reset as well.

Run the video card directly into the projector to see if there is a difference. If so, then disable the 4k upscaling or upscaling of any type on the receiver.

I will try this at my lab and see if I can reproduce.

mark aus Melbourne

Honorable
May 30, 2014
"Toggle it both ways. Will need a restart even though it doesn't prompt it. May require receiver and projector to reset as well."
I have played with CCC but didn't reset, although I presume the computer turned off and on with that changed as some point..

festerovic

Distinguished
I can't reproduce this on my gear. The worst I get is a condition where the screen appears overscanned (too large for the screen) and I can't see about 30 pixels on each edge. If my TV had an AV mode switch, I would usually fix it by doing that. What happens when you use the native resolution of the projector as your screen res on the PC?

also: Run the video card directly into the projector to see if there is a difference. If so, then disable the 4k upscaling or upscaling of any type on the receiver. - did that have any effect?