Should i buy GTX 780 or wait for the new Maxwell 800 series?

Purposely, for saving money and having a video card that will last for 3+ years. Of course on ultra setting in 1080p resolution.
11 answers Last reply
More about buy gtx 780 wait maxwell 800 series
  1. TraneBoy said:
    Purposely, for saving money and having a video card that will last for 3+ years. Of course on ultra setting in 1080p resolution.


    from the looks of things a 780 will play ultra for a year or so, but if you wana play ultra for that long wait and buy a Titan Z, it should ultra everything for a long time, seeing as a 690 is still hard to beat
  2. yes, but a titan Z cost $3k. Ive never been an AMD fan, but their R9 295X2 is looking good
  3. Shasha23 said:
    TraneBoy said:
    Purposely, for saving money and having a video card that will last for 3+ years. Of course on ultra setting in 1080p resolution.


    from the looks of things a 780 will play ultra for a year or so, but if you wana play ultra for that long wait and buy a Titan Z, it should ultra everything for a long time, seeing as a 690 is still hard to beat


    Never in my life i will buy a video card that is as expensive as 3 gaming rigs. It should bealways in the category for best price/performance, not for huge prices that few people can afford.
  4. I would personally either get the GTX 780(Ti) or the R9 290(x). It's pointless to wait until the GTX 8** IMHO. The same goes for getting a dual GPU card like the R9 295X2; You could just Crossfire 2 R9 290X cards and save some money, if you even need that kind of performance.

    For 1080p, a single GTX 780 should be easily enough for years to come.
  5. Eduello said:
    I would personally either get the GTX 780(Ti) or the R9 290(x). It's pointless to wait until the GTX 8** IMHO. The same goes for getting a dual GPU card like the R9 295X2; You could just Crossfire 2 R9 290X cards and save some money, if you even need that kind of performance.

    For 1080p, a single GTX 780 should be easily enough for years to come.


    Sorry, Should have been specific, I mean it looks good compared with the Titan Z
  6. TraneBoy said:
    Shasha23 said:
    TraneBoy said:
    Purposely, for saving money and having a video card that will last for 3+ years. Of course on ultra setting in 1080p resolution.


    from the looks of things a 780 will play ultra for a year or so, but if you wana play ultra for that long wait and buy a Titan Z, it should ultra everything for a long time, seeing as a 690 is still hard to beat


    Never in my life i will buy a video card that is as expensive as 3 gaming rigs. It should bealways in the category for best price/performance, not for huge prices that few people can afford.


    well if you want to ultra everything for years to come you'll have no choice but to pay hat ridiculous amount, price/performance mentality is not for someone who wants to ultra every game

    Anonymous said:
    yes, but a titan Z cost $3k. Ive never been an AMD fan, but their R9 295X2 is looking good


    the R9 295X2 is a bad idea, and I wouldnt recommend anyone to buy that card, unless if you enjoy a bad gaming experience
  7. @Shasha23: A little tip: Don't say something like that without providing evidence; It makes you look like a fanboy.

    Benchmarks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-S15L3dHA

    I would never go for the Titan Z if I was only doing gaming; The R9 295X2 is pretty much equal to it and definitely a clear winner considering it only costs half of the Titan Z.
  8. Eduello said:
    @Shasha23: A little tip: Don't say something like that without providing evidence; It makes you look like a fanboy.

    Benchmarks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-S15L3dHA

    I would never go for the Titan Z if I was only doing gaming; The R9 295X2 is pretty much equal to it and definitely a clear winner considering it only costs half of the Titan Z.


    sry mate though everyone on the forum had knowledge on most things anyway, the R9 295X2 is powerfull and will give you eye candy but it delivers frames so slow(rather should say unstable) that I wouldnt enjoy gaming on it, the problem is the software not the hardware itself though

    on the other hand the the Z will not be twice as powerfull as 295X2 but it will have better software support from NVidia, in layman's terms its like buying a Lexus IS F vs an M3, sure thing the Lexus is powerful but its no BMW, its the same here, I rather X-fire 2 R9 290X before buying a waterblocked beast that is far superior to its supporting software, just my 2cents
  9. The best solution, is the GTX TITAN Black, don't wait for the GTX 800 Series, and Titan Z is expensive and useless.... all it has are those Cuda Cores and VRAM, it has many compatibility issues, my friend got it and he is now regretting it because there are so many compatibility issues.
  10. Eduello said:
    @Shasha23: A little tip: Don't say something like that without providing evidence; It makes you look like a fanboy.

    Benchmarks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-S15L3dHA

    I would never go for the Titan Z if I was only doing gaming; The R9 295X2 is pretty much equal to it and definitely a clear winner considering it only costs half of the Titan Z.


    Shasha23 said:
    Eduello said:
    @Shasha23: A little tip: Don't say something like that without providing evidence; It makes you look like a fanboy.

    Benchmarks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-S15L3dHA

    I would never go for the Titan Z if I was only doing gaming; The R9 295X2 is pretty much equal to it and definitely a clear winner considering it only costs half of the Titan Z.


    sry mate though everyone on the forum had knowledge on most things anyway, the R9 295X2 is powerfull and will give you eye candy but it delivers frames so slow(rather should say unstable) that I wouldnt enjoy gaming on it, the problem is the software not the hardware itself though

    on the other hand the the Z will not be twice as powerfull as 295X2 but it will have better software support from NVidia, in layman's terms its like buying a Lexus IS F vs an M3, sure thing the Lexus is powerful but its no BMW, its the same here, I rather X-fire 2 R9 290X before buying a waterblocked beast that is far superior to its supporting software, just my 2cents


    Completely agree, crossfire/sli some cheaper cards is the way to go, however for games and the 295x2 I saw some benchmarks recently that cast the 295x2 in some bad light. Seems It has some very serious latency issues, I believe that's what shasha was trying to say.
  11. I am enjoying the hell out of my 780ti OC card, I had a 780 but ti just has that extra zippiness, with a slight OC on air I hit boost clocks of 1250Mhz+ which just eats up everything I throw at it. Oh yeah it and is always on sale for $630!

    http://www.frys.com/product/7970620?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics Cards Resolution Graphics