i7 4770 + Nvidia GTX 780 Ti overkill for single monitor, 1080p Gaming?

asim1999

Reputable
May 10, 2014
i was just wondering if this combo is overkill for 1080p. I am heavily considering the £800 PC that I showed you guys yesterday ( thread is in Systems section). also how long will this combo last for in terms of games before I have to lower settings to the lowest preset?
all answers appreciated
Thanks

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
There is no way to know for sure how future games are going to tax your system. I would say with that setup you should be good for a few years though.
As far as overkill for 1080p, if you are using a 60hz monitor yeah it may be a bit much because you are not see all the extra frames, but if you have a 120hz or higher monitor it is not overkill and games are going to look amazing and be nice and smooth.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

Like I said there is no way to know for sure how taxing the games in the future are going to be, but I would say you should get at least 3 years before you are going to have to start turning down some settings, and by then you should be able to get a second 780 for cheap and run them in SLI, and be good for another year or two.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
You CANNOT get into PC gaming with that mentality. Just because a GPU you buy right now isn't fast enough to run next year's games maxed out won't make it any slower for the games that are already out, and nobody can just tell you how long your hardware will actually last....what if in just a year or two your PSU takes a shit and takes all your components with it? What if you accidentally damage/kill a part with ESD? Would you go out and buy the same part, or upgrade to something newer? Stop concerning yourself with "future proofing" as there is no such thing with gaming components, just try and get the best value for your money and be happy with that.

Also, you're never going to get an answer like the one you're looking. You're basically looking for game devs and GPU engineers to drop by and say "yeah, you can expect to get this kind of performance on this hardware with this software, which should stay relevant for this long". GL with that.