Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help choosing new storage drive? 1TB HDD or 120Gb SDD

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 31, 2014 10:33:35 AM

I need help choosing between these two:

HDD - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRNW/ref=ox_sc_a...

SSD - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WT9SU0/ref=ox_sc_s...

I need a fast drive for music production and my teacher at Saint louis college said that SSDs don't last long. That's why i don't know what to choose.
Also i've never heard of PNY, while Seagate is known since 4ever.

And considering the price tag... What do you think?
a c 901 G Storage
May 31, 2014 11:33:05 AM

Your teacher is wrong (mostly). Current consumer grade SSD's are proving to be more reliable than HDD's.

Now....what you need to decide is between speed and size. What other drives are in the system?
A 120GB is probably too small if it is the only drive.
m
0
l
May 31, 2014 11:37:00 AM

USAFRet said:
Your teacher is wrong (mostly). Current consumer grade SSD's are proving to be more reliable than HDD's.

Now....what you need to decide is between speed and size. What other drives are in the system?
A 120GB is probably too small if it is the only drive.

I know that SSD's nowadays became more reliable than HDD's but the question is about that one specifically.

And i have another 2 internal drives(320Gb and 750Gb) and 1 external(2TB).
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 901 G Storage
May 31, 2014 11:43:32 AM

v6ser said:
USAFRet said:
Your teacher is wrong (mostly). Current consumer grade SSD's are proving to be more reliable than HDD's.

Now....what you need to decide is between speed and size. What other drives are in the system?
A 120GB is probably too small if it is the only drive.

I know that SSD's nowadays became more reliable than HDD's but the question is about that one specifically.

And i have another 2 internal drives(320Gb and 750Gb) and 1 external(2TB).


Buy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-...

$10 more, but a proven make/model.
Share
May 31, 2014 1:36:26 PM

USAFRet said:
v6ser said:
USAFRet said:
Your teacher is wrong (mostly). Current consumer grade SSD's are proving to be more reliable than HDD's.

Now....what you need to decide is between speed and size. What other drives are in the system?
A 120GB is probably too small if it is the only drive.

I know that SSD's nowadays became more reliable than HDD's but the question is about that one specifically.

And i have another 2 internal drives(320Gb and 750Gb) and 1 external(2TB).


Buy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-...

$10 more, but a proven make/model.


So, you are sure about what you're saying? That a samsung 120Gb SSD is more worth it than a seagate 1TB 7200 HDD(cheaper)?

Just confirm that and i'll pick your answer as the solution
m
0
l
a c 901 G Storage
May 31, 2014 1:51:34 PM

v6ser said:


So, you are sure about what you're saying? That a samsung 120Gb SSD is more worth it than a seagate 1TB 7200 HDD(cheaper)?

Just confirm that and i'll pick your answer as the solution


All depends on your particular space needs. But as you already have ~3TB of other drive space, I'd go with the SSD.
Me? I'd not build a new PC without an SSD. It completely changes the feel of a system.
m
0
l
June 3, 2014 11:08:11 AM

USAFRet said:
v6ser said:


So, you are sure about what you're saying? That a samsung 120Gb SSD is more worth it than a seagate 1TB 7200 HDD(cheaper)?

Just confirm that and i'll pick your answer as the solution


All depends on your particular space needs. But as you already have ~3TB of other drive space, I'd go with the SSD.
Me? I'd not build a new PC without an SSD. It completely changes the feel of a system.

I lost the deal! LOL

Laughing so much right now but at the same time i'm super sad :( 

Do you have any idea of when SSD's prices will drop again? I mean, when the new ones come out probably right?
m
0
l
!