670's for 780ti or 290x

steven467

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi, I'm considering trading up as my title states. I recently picked up a Samsung 4k monitor, and while the 670's do fine pushing it, I've ran into a few snags when trying to run 4k + sli in various games. They are 2gb cards but I can guarantee you that's not my issue so don't mention it. Just curious if you guys feel it would be a worthwhile trade with next gen cards not due till next year sometime. The 290/290x looks like a good value but the drivers worry me and i would like to feel like I'm doing somewhat of a upgrade. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Solution
IMO nvidia has better driver support when it comes to SLI/Xfire. I personally would go with the 780 ti, but to get above 60 fps @4k with all the eye candy you will probably need to pick up a second card. That could get expensive, so if you do decide to go with 2 cards the 290X would be better on the wallet.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
IMO nvidia has better driver support when it comes to SLI/Xfire. I personally would go with the 780 ti, but to get above 60 fps @4k with all the eye candy you will probably need to pick up a second card. That could get expensive, so if you do decide to go with 2 cards the 290X would be better on the wallet.

Solution

steven467

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Fps isn't my problem, even with the 670's. Few realize you don't need AA at 4k and things like ambient occlusion are not necessary in my opinion. With mostly high settings I can 60 fps in about anything atm, bf4, tomb raider, wow, dayz, even crysis 3.

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

If you don’t mind turning some stuff down I would defiantly go with the 780 ti

ChrisR83

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Last time I read anything on the 8xx cards it was looking like Q1-Q2 of 2015 if not later, something about the mfg for the new chips, that is on nvidia and amd cards.

Personally I am not completely convinced that there is going to be much if any increase in performance from the 780 ti’s. In the past ti versions of cards hold their own very well verses their next gen GPU’s. But I have no facts backing that up, it is just my opinion.

But consider this, there is always going to be a new GPU just around the corner, I say get the best you can afford right now, enjoy gaming and don’t get hung up worrying about the next gen card. By the time your 780 ti needs replacing, the prices will have dropped, and you can pick up a second for cheap, or grab the current gen card i.e. 9xx/10xx ( or whatever they will be called).